PDA

View Full Version : Help! Stroller for Paris and countryside?

lynettefrancois
04-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Haven't shopped strollers for YEARS. Traveling in 3 months to Paris where I'll need something small, maneuverable, light, and easy to fold for shops and subway. Then, we are going somewhere in the country where there will be unknown surfaces but undoubtably my nemesis: cobblestones! I can't imagine a Mac would work here for baby who will be only 9 months, anyone try it? Any suggestions??? He's 75-90% for height and about 75 for weight. I still have my old Silver Cross Mini (took it to France about 6 years ago for DD and it worked great over cobbles) but he won't be big enough for the seatbelt to hold him in. Plus it may not be working well any more. I am clueless what to get. Would love any advice!! Tia

purpelina
04-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Bugaboo bee or bee+?

Micralite superlite with a set of all terrain wheels for the front?

carolinamama
04-01-2011, 05:48 PM
I will tell you that if you are going to be doing the shops and subway in Paris, you want something very light since there are not many elevators and lots of stairs. We went with DS1 when he was around 8 months and used a Mac Quest which worked out perfectly but could still be heavy at times carrying it up and down stairs with a baby. DS could still nap comfortably and we felt that the benefits of it outweighed the negatives. Also had our Ergo carrier with us.

We didn't go into the countryside so I can't help you there but the Micralite superlite might work well for you if it isn't too heavy to carry in Paris. We did go on to Prague though where we went over lots of cobblestones. I remember it wasn't ideal but still the best solution for us.

lynettefrancois
04-01-2011, 09:52 PM
I will tell you that if you are going to be doing the shops and subway in Paris, you want something very light since there are not many elevators and lots of stairs. We went with DS1 when he was around 8 months and used a Mac Quest which worked out perfectly but could still be heavy at times carrying it up and down stairs with a baby. DS could still nap comfortably and we felt that the benefits of it outweighed the negatives. Also had our Ergo carrier with us.

We didn't go into the countryside so I can't help you there but the Micralite superlite might work well for you if it isn't too heavy to carry in Paris. We did go on to Prague though where we went over lots of cobblestones. I remember it wasn't ideal but still the best solution for us.

Okay, I should have specified that lightweight to me is 12 or13 pounds max. 10 sounds better! Sorry! Also I am worried the airlines will tear up whatever I get, so I would like to stay under $175 to avoid crying at the airport... We will be outside a lot so a canopy is necessary but I could do a canopy extender I suppose. The lighter the better. I have been reading about the uppa baby g luxe but I'm probably too short for it- just 5'1" tall. I don't think I can find one locally, but if I could push a Mac in BRU, maybe it would convince me I'm not too short for a tall stroller. I read about the Triumphs as well but seemed like the g luxe would go over gravel better? What about an inglesina swift? Sigh, so confused!

LMPC
04-01-2011, 09:55 PM
I used our Silver Cross Fizz on the cobblestones in London when DD was 15 mos old and it worked fine. I was easily able to maneuver the Tube and the City with it. It's so much like a Mac that I am sure that would work too.

Multimama
04-01-2011, 09:58 PM
I would probably get a G-luxe in your case because the canopy is much better than that on comparable lightweight macs and you know it is going to be for a summer trip with lots of walking. I'm not sure about handle height though. I would do a baby carrier (a good one like the Beco Butterfly or Ergo) for the countryside for a 9 month old unless either you or your LO is horribly opposed to babywearing. If you want to stay under 13 lbs you are just not going to find something that can handle it.

lynettefrancois
04-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Are the wheels/suspension on the Silver Cross similar to the Mac? thanks!

lynettefrancois
04-01-2011, 10:27 PM
I would probably get a G-luxe in your case because the canopy is much better than that on comparable lightweight macs and you know it is going to be for a summer trip with lots of walking. I'm not sure about handle height though. I would do a baby carrier (a good one like the Beco Butterfly or Ergo) for the countryside for a 9 month old unless either you or your LO is horribly opposed to babywearing. If you want to stay under 13 lbs you are just not going to find something that can handle it.

I have my circa 2003 Ergo at the ready. :D We will be staying at a rental house in the countryside with a dozen family members who will want to take the baby for a stroller ride. I am assuming it will be fine gravel or cobblestones... Hoping for the former! Last time we went to France with a stroller we only were on cobbles for an extended time once the whole trip, so I can live with it if the stroller is just fair over cobblestones. We will be taking the metro and trains with dozens of flights of stairs, so I guess I need the light weight and easy fold over the ability to cover all terrain. I just want to make sure I don't get something like my first stroller that stopped to a screeching halt if one wheel hit a 1/4" pebble on top of smooth pavement. Couldn't even take that combi out for a walk outside!

Multimama
04-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Micralite superlite with a set of all terrain wheels for the front?

I don't think you can get all terrain wheels for the Superlite, only for the Toro and the old Fastfold (which is still for sale in the UK, I think).

Are the wheels/suspension on the Silver Cross similar to the Mac? thanks!

Sorry, I have no experience with this stroller and I don't know if they even still sell it in the US, so you might have trouble finding someone who can compare them.

I have been in a similar situation before and taught family members to use the baby carrier. They were skeptical, but ended up loving it. :)

crl
04-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I own a Silver Cross mini. :waving4: I don't think you are going to find anything as light that does any better on cobblestones, etc. On this board the mini got reviews very comparable to MacLarens and was considered one of the best umbrellas for outdoor use because it has really good, big wheels for a lightweight.

I'd look at a Micralite Superlight Fastfold for a very lightweight stroller with some air tire capacity.

Catherine

Multimama
04-02-2011, 10:57 AM
I own a Silver Cross mini. :waving4: I don't think you are going to find anything as light that does any better on cobblestones, etc. On this board the mini got reviews very comparable to MacLarens and was considered one of the best umbrellas for outdoor use because it has really good, big wheels for a lightweight.

I'd look at a Micralite Superlight Fastfold for a very lightweight stroller with some air tire capacity.

Catherine

How lucky for us that you had one. :) I would also take the Fastfold Superlite, but it's 14 lbs, which the OP said is too heavy for her. Also, although it has a standing fold it doesn't have a handle or carry strap, so not the easiest thing to use with stairs unless you are just going to bump it up or down on its air tires.

jerry_mishkata
04-02-2011, 12:04 PM
I have my circa 2003 Ergo at the ready. :D We will be staying at a rental house in the countryside with a dozen family members who will want to take the baby for a stroller ride. I am assuming it will be fine gravel or cobblestones... Hoping for the former! Last time we went to France with a stroller we only were on cobbles for an extended time once the whole trip, so I can live with it if the stroller is just fair over cobblestones. We will be taking the metro and trains with dozens of flights of stairs, so I guess I need the light weight and easy fold over the ability to cover all terrain. I just want to make sure I don't get something like my first stroller that stopped to a screeching halt if one wheel hit a 1/4" pebble on top of smooth pavement. Couldn't even take that combi out for a walk outside!

Lynette, the G-luxe front wheels lock on newer models. So if you are on rough terrain you can lock them and there won't be "stuck" wheels.

G-luxe is also 11 lb vs quest, which is 12. Not sure if 1 lb difference matters to you as it did to me. I am 5'6'' and I find the handles of quest and g-luxe equally comfortable (or uncomfortable).

In your situation, I would get a G-luxe (hell, I WAS in your situation, just not going to France, another European country with cobblestones, lack or too small elevators and stairs... and I do have a G-luxe, 2009). 2009 models don't have locking wheels though so make sure you get the locking wheels. I think they would have made a big difference (even though I had no stuck wheels problems, it would have made my life easier)

strollerqueen
04-02-2011, 01:09 PM

Catherine
Yeah, that's what I would do. It's 14 pounds, so still pretty light considering. It's also pretty easy to carry. Even the mid-weight umbrellas with larger wheels, like the Peg Si', Inglesina Avio, Mamas and Papas, Cybex, etc. are going to be heavier.

lynettefrancois
04-02-2011, 03:57 PM
It looks like that Micralite doesn't sit upright very much. Am I mistaken on this? I don't think DS would be very happy reclined all the time. He wants to sit straight up or stand (jump!) most of the time.