PDA

View Full Version : Budgeting for First Stroller

Raewyn
04-02-2011, 11:02 AM
DH and I are in the process of budgeting for all of the things a new baby needs (many more than I ever suspected!).

I have read through the crib section, and the posters there have noted its a good idea to spend a bit less on the crib and save it for the stroller.

We live in the suburbs, and most of the talk seems to be around big cities, so I wasn't sure what type of stroller would be best. We do take a nightly walk (at lease for now!), and our area has pretty good sidewalks but lots of hills.

Any recommendations on a nice stroller?

mariza
04-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi and welcome! Some questions for you so we can better help you.
1. what is your budget?
2. What are some features that you want? (ex. Do you want an adjustable hand bar/ adjustable footrest, do you want baby to face you, is stroller weight a factor, do you have a preference for handlebar type, etc.)

That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure others will chime in.

kristenk
04-02-2011, 11:56 AM
I think that the hard part of stroller shopping is that you can easily spend anywhere from less than $100 to over $500 on a stroller. Also, the perfect stroller for one person is going to be the absolutely worst stroller for another! It's so frustrating!

The best thing to do is to just go try out strollers. Go to BRU/baby boutique store, pick out a stroller, put something heavy (10-15 pounds) in the stroller seat and start walking around the store. Walk as you would normally walk - don't try to walk gingerly. This is the time to find out *if* you can walk normally while pushing that particular stroller or if you're always going to feel as though you're going to kick the stroller while walking.

Is it easy to maneuver? Do you like the style of handlebar it has? Check the canopy. Does it adjust as much as you'd like it to? Does it recline all the way? Can you switch things around so baby can face toward you or away from you?

Once you try out a few strollers, you'll get a better idea of what will work for you. When you know the features that are most important to you, it'll be easier for people to suggest a stroller that might work.

I was worried about DD spending too much time in her car seat so I wanted to have a full-recline stroller right away. If I had it to do all over again, I probably would have purchased a snap n' go to keep for a bit and then purchased the stroller after I'd used that for a while just to figure out what worked for me and DD.

Good luck!

lele
04-02-2011, 12:07 PM
I think that the hard part of stroller shopping is that you can easily spend anywhere from less than $100 to over $500 on a stroller. Also, the perfect stroller for one person is going to be the absolutely worst stroller for another! It's so frustrating!

The best thing to do is to just go try out strollers. Go to BRU/baby boutique store, pick out a stroller, put something heavy (10-15 pounds) in the stroller seat and start walking around the store. Walk as you would normally walk - don't try to walk gingerly. This is the time to find out *if* you can walk normally while pushing that particular stroller or if you're always going to feel as though you're going to kick the stroller while walking.

Is it easy to maneuver? Do you like the style of handlebar it has? Check the canopy. Does it adjust as much as you'd like it to? Does it recline all the way? Can you switch things around so baby can face toward you or away from you?

Once you try out a few strollers, you'll get a better idea of what will work for you. When you know the features that are most important to you, it'll be easier for people to suggest a stroller that might work.

I was worried about DD spending too much time in her car seat so I wanted to have a full-recline stroller right away. If I had it to do all over again, I probably would have purchased a snap n' go to keep for a bit and then purchased the stroller after I'd used that for a while just to figure out what worked for me and DD.

Good luck!

Good advice! I'd also add to fold and unfold it a couple times. See if you can pick it up as high as you'd have to in order to get it in your car.

mrspeachykeen
04-02-2011, 12:21 PM
With hills you might consider a stroller with handbrakes as well.

tmahanes
04-02-2011, 12:41 PM
We live in a very rural area and I have discovered that we need a couple of strollers. We have a Mac Triumph in DHs car because of our different work schedules.

In my car I have a First Years Indigo which is very budget friendly!! It is reversible and we have loved it so much! It has a huge basket and is very easy to push.

Now that B is getting bigger I am looking at all terrain strollers to use for neighborhood walks and parks and all that. I will still use the Indigo in the car and just leave the AT at the house.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

sweetsue98
04-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Being a first time mom you may not know what features you are looking for. I know I didn't. I agree with the other responses by going to BRU and testing some strollers out. If you are still unsure a snap n go maybe an option to buy you some time to find a stroller you want and fits your needs.

mariza
04-02-2011, 10:20 PM
If you are thinking about a snap n go, I would suggest the Indigo stroller. The frame can be used as a snap n go, but it also gives you the option of a seat for baby. It doesn't cost much more than a snap n go alone and will help you figure out what you like/ don't like when it's time to "move up"

sunshine873
04-03-2011, 01:11 AM
From my point of view: if you live in the suburbs, that means you probably drive from store to store to do your shopping right? That means lots of lugging the stroller out of the car. If that's the case, take the weight into consideration when you're shopping around. I have a BJCE (Baby Jogger City Elite) but it's just too heavy for a day full of errands in & out of the car. I use my Peg Si 95% of the time because it has a smaller footprint (for shopping,) pretty full-featured & is still easy to fold & lift in & out of the car. Oh, you can also put an infant bucket on the Si too...

Uno-Mom
04-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Another reason to start with a no-frills inexpensive option might be if you're going to try baby-wearing. That will impact what kind of stroller you'll want and nobody knows if baby-wearing works for them until they've tried it.

We found it was easiest to just wear our baby when we went shopping. We do very little in 'n out of the car trunk so that doesn't matter much to us, but it would be a huge factor if we liked to use the stroller for every excursion!

That's all stuff you won't know about your parenting style til baby is several months old. Sorry, that's not the funnest thing to hear when you're in pre-baby research/shopping mode! :)

Us? We scored a Maclaren for $5 at a garage sale and it's still going strong. I kind of wish it would break so I could justify a shopping spree!

pampers37
04-03-2011, 09:04 PM
great posts and advice PPs!

awesome =P

Us? We scored a Maclaren for $5 at a garage sale and it's still going strong. I kind of wish it would break so I could justify a shopping spree!