PDA

View Full Version : Any new Savannah recs?

billysmommy
04-02-2011, 11:29 AM
DH and I decided to go back to Savannah for our anniversary again this year. We absolutely love it there and got so many great recommendations here for our trip last year. Anything new we should try?

We're staying a block from Forsyth Park (same place as last year, which we loved!!). We have our favorites ~ dinner at Elizabeth's on 37th and The Olde Pink House, a wine and cheese carriage ride, lunch at Vic's on the River and just found out that Gary Sinise and his band will be playing at Forsyth Park while we're there (DH loves him!!).

We did Tybee Island last time and enjoyed it but are going to skip it this time. We love to poke around all the art galleries and antique shops, any favorites?

Any other suggestions for things to do?

Puddy73
04-03-2011, 07:11 PM
When are you going? Spring is a great time to visit, before it gets too grossly hot.

The restaurant in the Mansion on Forsyth is good (and the Mansion itself is worth a look - beautifully restored). It is a little more modern than Pink House and Elizabeth's. Local 11 Ten is another good one close to Forsyth. Casbah (Moroccan) on Broughton is a fun experience, but I haven't been in few years. Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House is also a fun experience if you like traditional southern fare. As a general rule, restaurants outside of River Street/Broad Street/City Market are a bit better and less pricey because those areas are very touristy. Pink House is one of my favorites so I'd probably hit it again just for the crispy flounder and she crab soup. Now my mouth is watering! :) Let me know if you are looking for something more specific.

I don't hit art galleries much any more but Ray Ellis (a local artist) has a good one. The SCAD shop is also fun. Tiffani Taylor is another good local artist whose work is featured around the city. Just stroll around and have fun!

billysmommy
04-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks so much. Savannah is our favorite place to go as a couple, we've told the boys that kids aren't allowed in Savannah :)

We love the Pink House!!! Last time we ended up there twice ~ once for dinner which was amazing and once for drinks, apps and dessert in the outdoor seats.

We'll definitely check out those artists. We stay at the Armstrong properties and ended up buying a couple of William's paintings last time. Before he moved to Savannah, he used to live on Nantucket (our other favorite place).

tmahanes
04-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Even if you are not planning on going to Tybee you should go eat at the Crab Shack..... it is just as you go onto Tybee and was my favorite when I was in SAV!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

billysmommy
04-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Even if you are not planning on going to Tybee you should go eat at the Crab Shack..... it is just as you go onto Tybee and was my favorite when I was in SAV!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

We ate there last time and loved it!!! Our trip is one day shorter this time so we're just staying in the HD.