PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland 2011 trip report

bubbaray
04-02-2011, 01:55 PM
We just got back from DL and Palm Springs. 3.5 days in DL, had a GREAT time. Just about the right length for us now that we've been a few times.

New things we did:
Fantasmic (first night) -- yawn for me, everyone else loved it.
more rollercoasters for DD#1 (loved Big Thunder Mountain, did it multiple times)
more time in Tomorrowland -- they liked Astroblasters the best.
Mark Twain ride (see below)
Pirates of the Caribbean (the girls weren't as scared as I thought they would be)
Teacups (girls LOVED this finally)

ETA: World of Color ROCKED and was totally worth the dinner/free tix at Wine Country Trattoria. We also did the Grizzly River Run (DD#1 did this at least 4x) and Soarin' in CA, as well as lots of rides at Bugs Land.

ETA #2: Aladdin for the first time -- worth the (insane!) lineup. Girls loved it.

Tried and true:
Princess Fantasy Faire -- barely any lineup, saw Ariel, Belle & Tiana and also the princess coronation (first time for that)
Toontown -- finally got DD#2 on that rollercoaster, not a fan
Autopia
Matterhorn
Space Mtn (me -- did it with my glasses off, trippy!)
Indiana Jones (me, a few times, love those Single Rider passes)
Pooh
Alice In Wonderland
Mr Toads Wild Ride
Dumbo
Its a Small World
King Arthur Carosel

Highlight #1 of the DL trip:
Meeting up with a certain BBB mama and her kiddos for dinner! :wavey:

Highlight #2 of DL trip:
I took DD#1 on the Mark Twain riverboat ride. We were just about to board and one of the CMs says "come with me". Well, guess who went up to the wheelhouse and steered the boat for the whole ride? DD#1 (wearing her birthday pin!). Thanks CM Kenny! :thumbsup: That was awesome!!

Weather was sucky in Anaheim (cool, rainy), but wow, did we make up for it in Palm Springs -- smokin!

In DL we stayed at the Best Western Anaheim Inn, which might be our new fave hotel for its cleanliness and proximity to the Main Gate. Closer than the HoJo, room about the same size. We didn't try the (small) pool, given the weather.

Funny from the trip:
In Palm Springs on El Paseo Drive, I had some shopping time and DH had the girls. DD#2 (4) was slightly behind him (a few steps) and was trying to get him to stop. DH didn't listen. DD#2 says "Daddy stop. You need to listen. Let's practice. Stop. Go. Stop." It was apparently hilarious.

billysmommy
04-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Sounds like a wonderful trip!!! That is so cool that your DD got to
steer the riverboat!! I love all the little magic touches like that.

I can't wait to take the boys out there. We're waiting
for Cars World to open before we go so it will be a couple
of years.

bubbaray
04-02-2011, 02:20 PM
I can't wait to take the boys out there. We're waiting for Cars World to open before we go so it will be a couple
of years.

DH and I both remember them saying 2011, DD#1 says 2012. Ariels new ride is opening 2011 summer. A lot of CA is under construction right now, making the crowds worse.

billysmommy
04-02-2011, 02:27 PM
DH and I both remember them saying 2011, DD#1 says 2012. Ariels new ride is opening 2011 summer. A lot of CA is under construction right now, making the crowds worse.

It's supposed to be 2012 but would be awesome if it
opened earlier!! We're going to give it about a year before
we go so hopefully the crowds will have died down slightly.
That's probably wishful thinking though...lol

lmwbasye
04-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Great thread! We just decided we are going to do a pre-deployment trip (deployment #3) in June to San Diego and Disneyland. Can't wait!

Twoboos
04-02-2011, 07:39 PM
I've been waiting for this one!! It got me so excited, thanks for posting!!

How were the crowds? I know this is a big spring break time and we are pretty well screwed when we go in 2 weeks.

I keep telling myself - expect it to be a complete mess, start early and get some rest in the aftn.

bubbaray
04-02-2011, 07:40 PM
It was crowded, but the grey skies/rain helped somewhat. I dunno, its DL. We expect crowds, LOL.

Twoboos
04-02-2011, 07:43 PM
It was crowded, but the grey skies/rain helped somewhat. I dunno, its DL. We expect crowds, LOL.

Ohhh good point, I'll pray for clouds/rain. Those SoCal people can't handle it, LOL!! ;)

elektra
04-02-2011, 07:51 PM
:wavey:
What a great trip! What is Aladdin? I did not know there was an Aladdin ride!?

bubbaray
04-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Aladdin is a theatrical show in CA. It is VERY good. I don't think your DS would last for it though -- the lineups to get in are long. Your DD would love it, however. Lots of dancing, etc. My DD#2 danced to a song from Aladdin for her ballet performance last year (dressed as Jasmin) and she was just transfixed.

Twoboos
04-02-2011, 07:55 PM
:wavey:
What a great trip! What is Aladdin? I did not know there was an Aladdin ride!?

It's a show, about 45mins long I guess.

Oh pardon me, it's "A Musical Spectacular." :)

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneys-california-adventure/disneys-aladdin/?name=AladdinEntertainmentPage

LexyLou
04-12-2011, 01:14 AM
So the Best Western was good, eh? We're trying to figure out hotels right now and it's so confusing. So many say close to the park but then you find out you really can't walk there because of the interstate. Was there a shuttle?

bubbaray
04-12-2011, 08:56 AM
So the Best Western was good, eh? We're trying to figure out hotels right now and it's so confusing. So many say close to the park but then you find out you really can't walk there because of the interstate. Was there a shuttle?

Nope, no shuttle. It was about 50 feet from the hotel to the crosswalk that takes you to where the shuttles drop off at the main gate.

AnnieW625
04-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Glad you had a great trip:)

Highlight #1 of the DL trip:
Meeting up with a certain BBB mama and her kiddos for dinner! :wavey:
Hopefully next time you come we will be in town as I'd love to meet up with you and your girls too (we caved and bought passes again)

Highlight #2 of DL trip:
I took DD#1 on the Mark Twain riverboat ride. We were just about to board and one of the CMs says "come with me". Well, guess who went up to the wheelhouse and steered the boat for the whole ride? DD#1 (wearing her birthday pin!). Thanks CM Kenny! :thumbsup: That was awesome!!

My brother and I got to do that too one of the times we went one summer. We felt so special. I was either 8 or 10, so bro would've been 5 or 7. We haven't taken DD1 on the riverboat ride, but I think we will do that next time we go.

LexyLou
04-13-2011, 02:08 AM
We wound up booking at the Crowne Plaza. Even though it's over 1 mile away it has it's own shuttle to and from the park and they were having a 3rd night free special so even though it's a 4 star it was cheaper than the 3 stars. I hope I don't regret being so far away!

bubbaray
04-13-2011, 09:28 AM
We wound up booking at the Crowne Plaza. Even though it's over 1 mile away it has it's own shuttle to and from the park and they were having a 3rd night free special so even though it's a 4 star it was cheaper than the 3 stars. I hope I don't regret being so far away!

We stayed there for a week in March 2010. It is a nice hotel, nice pool. No onsite restaurant or room service that I recall.

It was a HUGE HUGE HUGE PITA dealing with the shuttle. It is not a dedicated hotel shuttle, but one that serves many hotels. It often is full by the time it gets to the CP (one of the last stops), so we often didn't even get on the first bus but had to wait for a second (or third) one. The shuttle stop is around the side of the hotel. It is the same place where the Disneyland Express bus drops you at the hotel, that is where you get the shuttle.

We walked it one night when the girls were sound asleep and we didn't want to wake them to get them on the shuttle (plus, getting the shuttle BACK to the hotel from DL is an even huger PITA). OMG. I wanted to shoot DH for booking that hotel. It is a loooooong walk and even longer once you've spent a long day in the park.

The best option is to pay for the city bus. It stops right in front of the hotel, across the street in front of Target. Very fast, not crowded like the shuttle. We did that quite a few times. I think it was free for the kids, $2 or so for the adults.

LexyLou
04-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for that! I just assumed the ART bus would be more of a PITA than the private shuttle, but that's good to know.

I had a feeling I'd regret being so far away BUT the price difference from even the Best Western for 3 nights was over $600, so I couldn't pass it up. I'm cheap, above all else.

cchavez
04-14-2011, 02:53 PM
We are heading back to DL this Summer....we stayed at the Sheraton Park last year and will stay there again this year. It is within walking distance of Disney....it is a decent walk but not too bad. Any updates on World of Color.....we didn't do it last year but want to this year. Are the crowd better? We don't plan on doing Wine Country Trattoria and the picnic pkgs (if they are still available) are not that great b/c the cannot accommodate DS' food allergies.....

pinay
04-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Definitely do World of Color- if you have the park hopper passes just send someone over w/ all the tickets to go get the fast passes for the show while the rest of you enjoy DL. They opened 1/2 hr before official opening so people could go get FPs for WOC and it was a bit of a madhouse, but I easily got the blue reserved section and managed not to get trampled in the process :) We got back to the viewing area before 8 and found a spot right by a rail so I could sort of prop DD up on it so she could see well enough. Unless you want to get wet, I think it's actually a good idea to be up higher so you can see over people's heads.