PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Zoloft to Wellbutrin

DebbieJ
04-02-2011, 04:52 PM
I've been on Zoloft for depression/PPD since DS2 was born. I packed on 50 lbs in the process. Now that DS2 has weaned, I wanted to try something else. My PCP has me switching to Wellbutrin because it's the only SSRI that doesn't cause weight gain and might even cause weight loss (woohoo!). When I picked up the script, my pharmacist warned me about aggression being a common side effect.

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences to share.

lalasmama
04-02-2011, 08:36 PM
I :heart: my Welbutrin!

I haven't had any aggression with it, unless I happen to miss a few doses (3-4) in a row. But my depression often comes out in b!tchiness. I guess it's hard to even say I deal with "aggression", because, for me, it's more "get outta my way so I can get my things done" but I don't shove the outta the way or anything :)

All in all, I have been very pleased with it. I don't have side effects from it-- no libido issues, no aggression, no dry mouth, no tremors (which is why I was originally taken off Zoloft), no tummy upset.... And a happy mood to boot!

About the only thing I hate about it is that I haven't lost any weight on it. That could make me cranky enough to be aggressive with the makers of it :p

DebbieJ
04-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Well, I took a half dose of both today and I feel like crap. Dizziness, nausea, general ick. I have to do this for a week and then I'll be on Wellbutrin full time. I hope these side effects level themselves out quickly.

DietCokeLover
04-02-2011, 11:16 PM
I took it briefly more than 10 years ago. I didn't have any side effects, but I also didn't have any weight loss with it.

Aishe
04-03-2011, 01:25 AM
I love Wellbutrin so much. I don't even want to imagine my life without it. I lost seven pounds when I first started taking it, which was a nice side effect. I don't have any issues with aggression while on it. I do occasionally have a dizzy spell, but it's pretty infrequent.

Note that if you are taking the extended release version (XLR), the generic is *not* the same. I don't understand how they can get away with calling it an equivalent version, but IIRC there was actually a class action suit against the generic manufacturers. I tried switching to the generic (because I pay through the nose for the brand name) and I was having panic attacks every morning. It took me a while to figure out the problem, but now I'm back to paying $1000 per year for the XLR. But that's how much I love it!! I hope it works for you.

flowerpower
04-13-2011, 07:22 AM
I have Social Anxiety, and accidentally found out about Wellbutrin. I think it's great but, as with any other medicine, just because it works for one person doesn't mean it will work for another.

I am taking the generic now... It doesn't work the same way Wellbutrin does. Last year, while taking the name brand, I lost 25 lbs. in one month. I felt better than I had in a long time.

I have hypo-thyroidism though, and as a result of losing the weight, ended up taking too much of my medicine. I then became over-active. They lowered my medicine, too much though. At the same time, I switched to the generic. I've since upped my thyroid medicine, but it's too late. The result of it going too low and me switching to the generic, I have put the weight back on. I'm still waiting for my thyroid levels to rise to a normal level.

If you're taking it for depression... Take the name brand, Wellbutrin. Do NOT take the generic. And dizziness is common, both in coming off of Zoloft and starting Wellbutrin. The great thing about Wellbutrin is that it works within a matter of days.