PDA

View Full Version : Window bars?

ahisma
04-02-2011, 05:05 PM
DS2 will be moving to a bed soon and unfortunately there's no place to fit a bed other than in front of the window. The window overlooks the front of the house - kids playing, etc. Obviously, a huge temptation for our daredevil boy.

I'd like to put bars on the window, but can't find any locally. I know it's less than perfect, but I'd rather have a window with bars than a boy falling through a window. Any tips?

wellyes
04-02-2011, 05:12 PM
I'd look into custom-cut plexiglass instead - still get light into the room but with an unbreakable cover.

jenstring95
04-02-2011, 05:38 PM
We have Guardian Angel window guards on both kids' windows. They have upstairs bedrooms. These are not cheap but were worth the piece of mind for us. They are very easily removed by parents or firefighters, which is also an important consideration. Also, the windows can still be opened to let air in if needed.

http://www.safe-tots.com/window_guards.htm

katydid1971
04-02-2011, 05:46 PM
I put window locks on all of our window. We have sliding and they allow the window to only open a small amount. I did it to keep DC in and bad guys out. They were only a couple dollars per window and can only be seen if you are right next to them. They are a little block about 1 inch by 1 inch that attaches to the windowsill. Go to your local hardware store and see if they have window locks that will work with your style of window.

Nyfeara
04-02-2011, 07:19 PM
We also used the Guardian Angel window bars. I was able to order them thru Bed Bath & Beyond (we don't have a Buy Buy Baby locally) and use the 20% off coupons by placing the order in the store. We still had to pay shipping, but it wasn't bad. Our concern wasn't just the window opening, but playing in the room & him crashing thru the window somehow. We had initially planned to have a window seat there, so we didn't want him to lose his balance or be playing with a friend & someone go thru the window. With the bars, we can also have his window open some & not worry about it either.