PDA

View Full Version : What's a good gift for a baby girls' first birthday?

momm
04-03-2011, 08:26 AM
A little girl from our mom's group is turning ONE! :cheerleader1: We have no idea what would be a good gift to give. I could of course go with a toy and gift receipt, but was wondering if you smart ladies of girls would have any good ideas.. what did your DDs like at that age?

Budget about $40

TIA!!

ETA - $40 from four of us chipping in. so $10 per head. :)

SnuggleBuggles
04-03-2011, 09:21 AM
$40 budget for a playgroup friend? I don't spend $40 on good friends of the kids. :) Going b-day present rate per the board is $15-20. Just tossing that out there if you are just starting out in b-day party world. :)

A canvas bin from Target and some great board books inside would be nice and get lots of use for a good time to come.

If they go to the pool or beach you can get a selection of toys and a cute tote bag + a hooded towel (possibly with b-day girl's name on it).

Things for her to grow into would be some art supplies (crayons, markers, stickers, paper) or wooden peg puzzles.

eta- Leap Frog Fridge Farm

Beth

carolinamama
04-03-2011, 09:23 AM
For special friends turning one - a Corolle baby doll. For others - books or wooden puzzles.

chozen
04-03-2011, 09:40 AM
the fisher price laugh and learn pink tea pot, also the fisher price shape blocks with the bucket, two big hits in our house and our dd who is 3+ now still plays with the tea pot!

crl
04-03-2011, 09:54 AM
We got that tea pot for Christmas and dd does like it (as does ds, age 7, lol).

Playsilks! My universal answer to these kinds of questions. But they are beautiful, small (so no storage issues) and have very long lasting play value.

Or, what about a set of Melissa and Doug wood blocks?

Catherine

ETA link to Etsy for playsilks. http://www.etsy.com/shop/naturalkidsandtoys?section_id=6605310

SnuggleBuggles
04-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Ooh, a Remo floor Tom. I'm cleaning the playroom now and saw it. Big hit! Much better sound quality (ie. you won't get too tired of listening to it):
http://www.amazon.com/Remo-Percussion-Diameter-Mallet-Forest/dp/B0002F7KUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301839298&sr=8-1

Beth

bubbaray
04-03-2011, 10:08 AM
A Corolle Calin and maybe a stroller (d/n have to be the Corolle one, we have the cheapo Graco doll stroller and its just fine).

momm
04-03-2011, 10:23 AM
great tips!thank you!

soon2b4
04-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Also, fun bath gear. Crayola makes crayons that can draw on the walls and wash right off. (And, they are small, so you could put them in a ziploc for travel.) Or, DD received a foam doll and clothing set - you get the back wet and the pieces stick to the wall or each other... I can't remember the brand right now - it is upstairs.
A simple gift that was tons of fun - a four square ball - it is soft enough and bouncy enough, but durable enough to be fun for years (we still have and play with it 6 yrs. later).
FP laugh and learn toys - with the amount you have to spend, this works - like the mailbox, workbench, or piggy bank...

SnuggleBuggles
04-03-2011, 02:23 PM
TIA!!

ETA - $40 from four of us chipping in. so $10 per head. :)

That makes sense now! I was just thinking that b-day parties were going to start getting really expensive otherwise. :)

Beth

AnnieW625
04-03-2011, 04:48 PM
We gave DD1 bath toys, these little turtles from Munchkin (http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-10084-Baby-Bath-Turtles/dp/B000GB0O0E/ref=sr_1_12?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1301863633&sr=1-12). We also thought about getting her the Boon Frog toy keeper, but it was just too big. They were $10 I think at Target. Four years later she still plays with them. DD1 also got the Little Tikes Tool Box (http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Discover-Sounds-Toolbox/dp/B001THDE1A) from another family member and she really liked it, and now DD2 plays with them.

dddhokie
04-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Yookidoo Spout for the Tub! My DD's favorite 1 year old gift.

Or a Little Tikes swing to hang from a tree in the backyard. She loves that too!