PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear of Trunkie? clever travel stuff for kids

zoestargrove
04-03-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this company here, but a friend was asking for travel advice with kids on facebook and someone mentioned this company. I just watched the video on the front page but it looks like they have some really clever stuff. Anyone use this? What do you think?

http://www.trunki.com/

mariza
04-03-2011, 09:58 AM
It's been out for a few years now, I've never used it but I've seen it in stores and also seen it in use at the airport I work at. Lately I've been seeing it with the Melissa & Doug labeling on it so I think they may have bought Trunki out. It seems ok for 1-2 year olds if they can balance enough to sit still on it. There is no where to rest their feet so they have to be short enough for feet to not touch the ground or know how to meet them lifted up off the ground. It's a cute product, but not very practical IMO. I would think a cute durable backpack would be a better use of the money.
Here's a link to one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B003H7J7KM/ref=aw_d_cr_toys-and-games

smilequeen
04-03-2011, 10:40 AM
We have 2 of the little suitcases and my boys LOVE them and we've found them really helpful. Age 2-5 seems to be best for them. We'd pull the boys along behind us or they'd use their own feet to ride on them through the airport. It kept them busy and not trying to walk off in different directions. The straps are great for them to pull them along themselves too.

They are, however, only big enough for what you might carry on...we put books, headphones, the portable DVD, small toys, and one change of clothes in them.

hillview
04-03-2011, 11:21 AM
They are super cute but seem very impractical to me. 2 major concerns. Sometimes DS won't pull his carry on -- carrying DC and the suitcase (vs a backpack) seems like a drag -- never mind 2. Second concern is that it seems like once you have it on the plane it would be hard to get stuff out of. Anyway I went with the LL Bean critter rolling backpacks which I am VERY happy with. On the way back from the UK I was able to connect the straps and carry it AND sleeping DS2 off the plane.

Ok sorry to overshare
/hillary

Thatchermom
04-03-2011, 07:24 PM
We Trunki! I was pretty skeptical at first, to be honest. It was a gift and I thought it might be a bit of a pain but it has worked out to be helpful to us on most occasions. DD (a tall 3) really does like to ride it and kind of just walks her feet along as we pull with the exception of when we were trying to make it to a different gate after a cancelled flight -- I had her pick up her feet and I really ran with the trunki behind me and we made it!

I am able to wear my own backpack and pull her on it, she doesn't really do her own pulling while we are trying to get somewhere by my own choice. She likes to drag it around herself while we are waiting places (and at home, actually). It doesn't hold much and it would be a pain to get in and out of during the flight. I either pack things in it that I don't need on the flight but need to carry on (cameras, etc.) or pack some of her things inside another bag and then in the Trunki so that we can put the second bag under the seat and Trunki goes above.

nmosur
04-03-2011, 08:15 PM
I can see it working for domestic travel for us but not for international travel. DD will be sleeping during at least one layover and I don't want to carry her and the trunki.

MamaMolly
04-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I can't make myself pull the trigger on a Trunki. After reading the reviews on Amazon where people said how the latches break a lot I was hesitant, then I saw one in real life and it came out of the box with a broken latch. Thumbs down. It seems like a lot of money for something that *might* work.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Trunki are junk. The stupid latches won't stay on at all. The instructions even tell you how to put them back on when they pop off! Fix the design so they don't pop off!

the kids love them. I hate them HATE.

BayGirl2
04-04-2011, 10:32 PM
They are a M&D product.

We got one for Xmas for DS and used it for taking his toys to a condo on vacation. It was a good size for coloring books, small toys, blanket, etc. and became a toy when we arrived. We droves didn't have plane issues, haven't decided yet on whether to take iron our next plane trip. I chose a trunki over a backpack because we usually have him in a stroller, carrier, or gogokidz/carseat in the airport so backpacks aren't practical either.

We've had the hinge come off a couple times, when we open it, not him. Really hasn't been a big issue, it snaps right back on. I think it's designed that way so it's it's easy for kids to open and doesn't break if they pull too hard or catch it on something.