PDA

View Full Version : Tampons Question - o.b. Gone; Now What?

lizzywednesday
04-03-2011, 10:08 AM
OK, so in addition to getting the tummy bug my brother Joe gave to DD (and our sister, brother, sister-in-law and nephews) on Thursday, AF came back. After almost 2 years (been pregnant & nursing; still nursing, tho) ... so I had to make a Target run for "feminine care" products.

While perusing the tampons, in preparation for summer, the reality of the quiet o.b. tampon "recall" hit. Nowhere on the shelves were my once-beloved o.b. tampons!

I don't know what to do.

I tried to find the o.b. thread we had a few months ago, but failed dismally in the search. Dang.

So ... what do I try next? I'm fine with applicator-free tampons but will deal with an applicator if that's the only comparable option. The biggest draw of o.b. was its compact size so I didn't have to take up a ton of room in my purse with the associated trappings of AF.

SnuggleBuggles
04-03-2011, 10:10 AM
If you are cool with applicator free, there are some "natural" ones at Trader Joes' and Whole Foods that are good.
http://www.amazon.com/Natracare-Organic-Tampons-Non-Applicator-Regular/dp/B000EWHT4Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301839834&sr=8-2

egoldber
04-03-2011, 10:19 AM
ob tampons do still exit. They have discontinued the most absorbent version, but they still have Super and Regular.

You can order them at drugstore.com

Smillow
04-03-2011, 11:25 AM
You can still find obs (except Ultras) but you may have to hunt for them. They are supposed to be back in wide distribution in May (once again, except Ultras). Here are the alternatives I have found:
Maxim (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_in_-2_p_4_15?rh=n%3A3760901%2Cn%3A%213760931%2Cn%3A377 7891%2Cn%3A3779501%2Cn%3A3779601%2Ck%3Atampons%2Cp _4%3AMaxim&bbn=3779601&keywords=tampons&ie=UTF8&qid=1301843572&rnid=202789011)
Seventh Generation (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_in_-2_p_4_41?rh=n%3A3760901%2Cn%3A%213760931%2Cn%3A377 7891%2Cn%3A3779501%2Cn%3A3779601%2Ck%3Atampons%2Cp _4%3ASeventh+Generation&bbn=3779601&keywords=tampons&ie=UTF8&qid=1301843572&rnid=202789011) (found these @ Whole Foods)
Moxie (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_in_-2_p_4_18?rh=n%3A3760901%2Cn%3A%213760931%2Cn%3A377 7891%2Cn%3A3779501%2Cn%3A3779601%2Ck%3Atampons%2Cp _4%3AMoxie&bbn=3779601&keywords=tampons&ie=UTF8&qid=1301843572&rnid=202789011) (both applicator & non-applicator & they come in a cute tin - haven't found them to try yet in B&M - you can look @ their website for B&M availability)
Naturecare (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_in_-2_p_4_19?rh=n%3A3760901%2Cn%3A%213760931%2Cn%3A377 7891%2Cn%3A3779501%2Cn%3A3779601%2Ck%3Atampons%2Cp _4%3ANatracare&bbn=3779601&keywords=tampons&ie=UTF8&qid=1301843572&rnid=202789011) (found these @ Whole Foods)
I have an unopened box of Ultras & ~12 from an opened box - I am rationing them...

Have a happy period:rolleyes:

Melaine
04-03-2011, 11:29 AM
have you looked into the Diva cup? I will never go back. You can search for threads.

hillview
04-03-2011, 11:32 AM
I cannot believe the Ultras are not coming back -- had not heard that. I use the Diva except when traveling for work -- what is a good brand similar to Ultra.
TIA
/hillary

goldenpig
04-03-2011, 12:27 PM
What?!:eek:

I just started my first period in almost two years (also pregnant, then nursing). I am going to have to dig out my stash of o.b. and check. Hopefully I have enough to tide me over.

MommytoEliana
04-03-2011, 02:21 PM
So why did they discontinue the Ultras? I did notice that when I was buying last time (before getting pregnant) but thought maybe my Target just wasn't stocking them anymore. I shouldn't have to worry about it for quite a while, but once AF returns, that is what I was planning to use again. *grrr*

Smillow
04-03-2011, 02:26 PM
So why did they discontinue the Ultras? I did notice that when I was buying last time (before getting pregnant) but thought maybe my Target just wasn't stocking them anymore. I shouldn't have to worry about it for quite a while, but once AF returns, that is what I was planning to use again. *grrr*

Apparently J&J is being rather secretive about it. There are rumors about reasons you can find if you google it. People are calling for a boycott of all obs since J&J won't make the Ultras anymore. I was flabbergasted when I found out! I had emailed J&J last summer asking if they still made the Ultras since I was having trouble finding them, but they just replied with a list of retailers that sold obs.

TwinFoxes
04-03-2011, 04:09 PM
OP, you might want to try another Target. I had a bit of a panic after reading about the OB shortage here. But my Targtet has consistently had them. (I never used Ultras, so their discontinuization doesn't bother me).

lalasmama
04-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Apparently J&J is being rather secretive about it. There are rumors about reasons you can find if you google it. People are calling for a boycott of all obs since J&J won't make the Ultras anymore. I was flabbergasted when I found out! I had emailed J&J last summer asking if they still made the Ultras since I was having trouble finding them, but they just replied with a list of retailers that sold obs.

When is J&J honest and open and not secretive about recalls?!? Sorry, just had to say it since they (well, parent company McNeil) had *another* recall this week.

infomama
04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
have you looked into the Diva cup? I will never go back.
:yeahthat:

lizzywednesday
04-03-2011, 07:52 PM
have you looked into the Diva cup? I will never go back. You can search for threads.

I considered a cup briefly but couldn't figure out the logistics of being a WOHM and having to empty & clean it in a public restroom. Even having multiple cups for the workday doesn't really make my logistics concern work.

And I am not very good about cleaning things, so I worry about infection.

lizzywednesday
04-03-2011, 07:56 PM
OP, you might want to try another Target. I had a bit of a panic after reading about the OB shortage here. But my Targtet has consistently had them. (I never used Ultras, so their discontinuization doesn't bother me).

Another Target wasn't an option yesterday (sick DH at home) but it might be an option some other day.

I think I have enough stashed from before I got pregnant to get through the first period of the summer, but I'd rather mail-order instead.

Or change brands entirely because I'm slowly phasing out anything J&J from my house due to their less-than-stellar reputation in the past 2 years.

mommylamb
04-03-2011, 08:11 PM
I considered a cup briefly but couldn't figure out the logistics of being a WOHM and having to empty & clean it in a public restroom. Even having multiple cups for the workday doesn't really make my logistics concern work.

I'm a WOHM and I always use a diva. Honestly, I rarely change it while at work. Unless you're super heavy, you can leave it in for up to 12 hours. I usually change it in the morning and then again when I get home. If I really need to dump it in a public restroom, I just dump it in the toilet and then clean it with toilet paper and reinsert.

WatchingThemGrow
04-03-2011, 10:31 PM
I was the freaked-out OP in the original thread. They are back on the shelves here, but I'm going to stock up...and maybe grab a Diva in the meantime...

hellokitty
04-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Another rave for the diva cup. And like wellyes said, I rarely have to empty my diva cup while we are out, but if I do, I use the same method that she does.

Smillow
04-03-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm a WOHM and I always use a diva. Honestly, I rarely change it while at work. Unless you're super heavy, you can leave it in for up to 12 hours. I usually change it in the morning and then again when I get home. If I really need to dump it in a public restroom, I just dump it in the toilet and then clean it with toilet paper and reinsert.

Another rave for the diva cup. And like wellyes said, I rarely have to empty my diva cup while we are out, but if I do, I use the same method that she does.

Okay, I'll ask - (way TMI) what about getting blood on your hands?

hellokitty
04-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Okay, I'll ask - (way TMI) what about getting blood on your hands?

I wash my hand before I go into the stall (use paper towel to lock door), and remove the diva cup. Unless it is a really heavy day, there really shouldn't be any blood on the part of the cup that you grasp. Anyway, I empty it, will use TP to wipe it out, re-insert and wipe up my hands if needed. However, like I said, unless you have unusually heavy periods (and I do have one day that is really bad each cycle), it really isn't as big of a mess as you would think.

Smillow
04-04-2011, 12:09 AM
I wash my hand before I go into the stall (use paper towel to lock door), and remove the diva cup. Unless it is a really heavy day, there really shouldn't be any blood on the part of the cup that you grasp. Anyway, I empty it, will use TP to wipe it out, re-insert and wipe up my hands if needed. However, like I said, unless you have unusually heavy periods (and I do have one day that is really bad each cycle), it really isn't as big of a mess as you would think.

Thank you! I have a couple of days of very heavy flow (and then almost nothing)... I will have to give the cup a try!

doberbrat
04-04-2011, 12:11 AM

I used to go to the handicapped restroom during lunch and empty then. I'd wash my hands, empty, go to the sink and wash or at least rinse very well then reinsert.

For me it was MORE convenient at work b/c I didnt have to remember to bring supplies, or empty frequently etc.

But I'm also very good about cleaning it.

little tmi but I had a YI last month and had to go back to tampons. I scrounged in every old bag, corner of my car etc to come up w/enough OBs to last the cycle.

Melaine
04-04-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm a SAHM, but I do have heavy AF, so I end up changing in public bathrooms fairly often (way less often than tampons, however). My main challenge is dealing with the girls being with me all the time, and not having any privacy! Ideally, I carry wipes in my purse and clean it if a sink isn't in the stall with me. As long as I wash my hands really well before I go in, I feel it's ok if I can't wash the cup every single time.

AngelaS
04-04-2011, 08:00 AM
I only deal w/my Diva about once every 24 hours during my cycle. I'm SO glad the BBB introduced me to it! :D

lizzywednesday
04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks everyone!

I may to re-examine my ability to commit to the cup from the glowing endorsements. It's not an ick factor (come on; I can handle applicator-free tampons .... how much worse can it be?) just a flow/leakage concern, especially when WOH with limited facilities. (We have a handicapped stall in our ladies' room, but it doesn't have its own sink, etc.)

I have enough o.b.'s stashed in my "period kit" (clear Sterilite box with latching lid) to get through the first period of the summer.

Also, I used an Ultra for the first time ever the other day and don't think I'll miss them. Unless I have another period that's heavier than pre-baby. Then I think I might be screwed.

Thanks for the leads on more natural tampon options; those Moxie ones look absolutely adorable. According to their website, they should be available in various places, including WF and Walgreens, so I'll have to take a look-see.

In the meantime, I'll just stay hydrated and get through the rest of my period.

dylansnan
04-05-2011, 09:47 AM
I only deal w/my Diva about once every 24 hours during my cycle. I'm SO glad the BBB introduced me to it! :D
:yeahthat:
I'll never go back to tampons :D

AnnieW625
04-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Not sure if it's the applicator that skeeves you out of not, but I have to have one and when OB discontinued their applicator tampons (they made them from the mid 1990s until right around the time I got pregnant with DD1, so 2005, maybe) I started using Playtex Gentle Glide regular. Since having DD2 and since I have been off birth control ever since I need heavier absorbant tampons and I have since found the Playtex Super Plus and OMG those are amazing, they hold a lot and they are very thin and the applicator is great.

Good luck and I know how hard finding replacement tampons can be.

I thought about the Diva cup too when it first came out or I heard about it about 10 yrs. ago, but yeah washing it in public would be too much for me.

lizzywednesday
04-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Not sure if it's the applicator that skeeves you out of not, but I have to have one and when OB discontinued their applicator tampons (they made them from the mid 1990s until right around the time I got pregnant with DD1, so 2005, maybe) I started using Playtex Gentle Glide regular. Since having DD2 and since I have been off birth control ever since I need heavier absorbant tampons and I have since found the Playtex Super Plus and OMG those are amazing, they hold a lot and they are very thin and the applicator is great.

Good luck and I know how hard finding replacement tampons can be.

I thought about the Diva cup too when it first came out or I heard about it about 10 yrs. ago, but yeah washing it in public would be too much for me.

You're going to laugh, but I have most of a box of applicator o.b.'s in my desk drawer at work. I have no idea how long I've had them! They're right next to a barely-used box of Tampax. (And I hate Tampax. I must've been desperate!)

The applicators don't skeeve me out. I just prefer the applicator-free ones since there's not a lot of packaging ... though they're getting better about that lately.