PDA

View Full Version : S/O lunch box and thermos thread - how to keep lunch HOT

sansdieu
04-04-2011, 10:11 AM
I have no problem with cold lunches, most thermos containers and/or mere lunch boxes with an ice pack would do the job.

However, I would like DD to have hot lunches at school, and I noticed that our Thermos (even when prepped with boiling water) does not keep food hot for more than 2 hours. In fact, after 2 hours, it's already lukewarm. I must note that I do not fill it to the brim, so the air on top might be part of the problem, but perhaps someone can recommend a better thermos (or a better loading system). This is the one we have:

http://www.preparedplanet.com/Thermos%20Beverage%20Wares.html#E5Jar

g-mama
04-04-2011, 10:17 AM
We have Thermos containers. I fill them with hot water, just from the tap, let it sit in there for 5-10 minutes, heat the food extra-hot, then pout it into the container. My kids tell me that 4 hours later, when they eat it, it is not hot, but it is definitely warm.

HonoluluMom
04-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm in the same boat - can keep things cold, but no clue how to keep food hot. Looking forward to suggestions and tips!

sansdieu
04-07-2011, 12:43 PM
We have Thermos containers. I fill them with hot water, just from the tap, let it sit in there for 5-10 minutes, heat the food extra-hot, then pout it into the container. My kids tell me that 4 hours later, when they eat it, it is not hot, but it is definitely warm.

4 hours is better than nothing, but it is still not the same as 8 hrs promised on the container.

Do you fill the container completely? I don't want to heat the food super-hot because that tends to dry things out... (esp. ground meet patties)

Tondi G
04-07-2011, 12:55 PM
we use the thermos funtainers and sometimes I have had my kids tell me that their food wasn't hot anymore ... I've also had them tell me that the soup (which I brought to a boil before packing) was too hot. I always heat the thermos with hot water before filling. so far the best things for the thermos have been soups, stew, spaghetti and meat sauce or any type of pasta really, and mac n cheese.

sansdieu
04-08-2011, 11:34 PM
we use the thermos funtainers and sometimes I have had my kids tell me that their food wasn't hot anymore ... I've also had them tell me that the soup (which I brought to a boil before packing) was too hot. I always heat the thermos with hot water before filling. so far the best things for the thermos have been soups, stew, spaghetti and meat sauce or any type of pasta really, and mac n cheese.

Thank you; that list helps. I wouldn't trust a 3 y.o. with hot soup, but I wonder if, again, soup fills up more of the container, so there is no air, ergo food stays hotter? Ok, it's been 25 yrs since I took physics...

g-mama
04-09-2011, 07:59 AM
I do heat it extra hot, but I only put things in there that have some sauce in them: pasta with spaghetti sauce, mac and cheese...not anything like plain meat.