PDA

View Full Version : Dental x-rays while pregnant...

Myira
04-04-2011, 04:00 PM
I am 16 weeks and had 3 dental x-rays on Friday. The tech covered my belly with the lead apron, that should be fine right?

I have been slightly worried since then and regret not refusing. Things like my neck wasn't covered(read somewhere its to be covered for thyroid) and what if the apron wasn't sufficient are causing me concern. It was only a single apron that was put on me.

Anyone advice?

secchick
04-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. I asked my OB about it with my first pregnancy and he said it was fine. The radiation travels in a straight line throught your jaw and is fairly low level. You are also 16 weeks, and organ development is already established.

That said, I have never had dental x-rays while pregnant, because my dentist/hygenist asks, and declines to do them when I am.

sewarsh
04-04-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm actually really surprised they took x-rays of you while pregnant.
Was this just for a normal dental exam or is there a problem they needed the x-rays for?

I went to dentist last week adn they said i definately needed xrays, but would hold off until after pregnancy.

I'm sure you are fine, but I honestly would question your dentist if this was just for a typical routine dental exam.

veronica
04-04-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm surprised they took them as well. The office I go to always asks if you are expecting before discussing any films that may be needed, and refrains from doing any on expecting mothers.

I'd give them a call and ask about any potential side-effects.

Myira
04-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Is it completely the norm to not take dental x-rays when pregnant? I am really shocked to hear it, and really wondering why they would take x-rays in that case.

I went in since I am having sensitivity when I bite down sometimes on the right side and cannot tell what tooth is causing it.

janine
04-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Hi Myira, I too thought most dentists did not do xrays with pregnant ladies, but you shouldn't over worry at this point. I'm sure it's a small amount, but do call your dr. for some reassurance.

I think the important thing is to make sure to speak up if you are unsure in the future. In general we all have our oops moments and we can only reassure ourselves that it's the totallity of the pregnancy that counts, not just a mistake here and there (I've made some!). I do notice that dental assistants push xrays and I frequently push back even when I wasn't pregnant, so maybe that's what happened here - or maybe they did fewer xrays at least.

fedoragirl
04-04-2011, 09:15 PM
I got x rays-just one--when I was 11 weeks pregnant, and I am going tomorrow to get a filling. I had a bite x-ray done so my throat was not exposed to the machine as I do have hypothyroidism.
My OB and dentist said that x-rays were totally fine since you're well covered with the apron. Moreover, as PP wrote, the radiation travels through your mouth. Also, I only get the bite down x rays--the norm in our dentist's office.
I trust my dentist because his dentist wife just gave birth to their second child and I don't think he would let me get dangerous x-rays just to get a filling.

eh613c
04-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Typically dental hygienists will ask you if you're pregnant prior to taking x-ray. To avoid all possible risks, dental x-rays are postponed until after birth. With that said, according to the American College of Radiology, no single diagnostic x-ray has a radiation dose significant enough to cause adverse effects on a developing embryo or fetus.

AshleyAnn
04-04-2011, 11:56 PM
I had chest x-rays taken while 7.5 months pregnant. My OB ordered them for a cold I couldn't get over. They double wrapped my belly but no one was terribly concerned about the risk at that point. I know they sent a copy of the x-ray off to some board of something to show it did not show the fetus at all. But the tech commented she was hoping we'd get lucky and be able to see her feet (you couldnt)

I broke a tooth earlier in the pregnancy and my OB was fine with me getting dental x-rays but my dentist refused saying he didn't need them that badly.

Fairy
04-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Dental x-rays while pregnant are a no-no from the dentist's perspective. I'm shocked that the dentist took them for something routine. Emergencies or cannot wait situations, notwithstanding, regular routine ones I wouldn't think they'd want to risk.

JBaxter
04-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Is it completely the norm to not take dental x-rays when pregnant? I am really shocked to hear it, and really wondering why they would take x-rays in that case.

I went in since I am having sensitivity when I bite down sometimes on the right side and cannot tell what tooth is causing it.

We NEVER took dental xrays on a pregnant patient unless they were in pain. I worked as a dental hygienist for 17 yrs. It is not advised. The radiation is low ( takes like 20 dental xrays to equal the radiation of a plane flight) but still.

The dentist I worked with had a bite stick and would have the momma bite on each cup of each tooth to try to find the tooth. cracks dont always show up on xrays.

No it is NOT normal to take xrays on a known pregnant patient. I asked every patient prior if they THOUGHT they could be pregnant.

smilequeen
04-05-2011, 10:11 AM
It is fine with the proper precautions and preferably past the first trimester. We wouldn't take routine xrays on a typical patient while pregnant at all. If there was pain or sensitivity we would take limited xrays in order to take care of that problem (with an OB's note). I worked medicaid for a while and we typically did take full sets of xrays b/c the decay was often rampant and the patients were not going to covered after pregnancy in this state. The amount of decay was often a major health risk to those patients. If they didn't appear to have problems, we wouldn't do them, but they often had obvious issues.

I prefer to double apron and thryroid collar for all pregnant women but it is true that the radiation in one xray is quite small.

Myira
04-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all your responses. Now that I think about it, the dental assistant took those x-rays before the doctor came in. I should have put my foot down and simply refused, I dunno what I was thinking. I did tell her I was pregnant the moment I walked in.

JBaxter, the doctor in fact mentioned that cracks don't always show up on x-rays and did use a bite stick. So the x-rays were indeed unnecessary. I am PO' ed with myself but atleast thankful the radiation is small and my belly was covered.

sewarsh
04-06-2011, 12:24 PM
So the x-rays were indeed unnecessary. I am PO' ed with myself but atleast thankful the radiation is small and my belly was covered.

don't beat yourself up. your baby will be fine. just something to know for the future. its okay. we all question ourselves from time to time - its human nature.