PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about playsilks

artvandalay
04-04-2011, 07:22 PM
I was just browsing through etsy... I'm a little surprised at the price of these things. A set of 12 were going for $125. They are just large, lightweight scarves, correct? Am I missing something? I really don't care if they are organic or hand dyed. I just think they would be cool to play with her.

My grandmother used to wear something similar on her head (kudos to anyone who knows what a babushka is) but obviously much smaller! I don't know what material hers were, but when I first saw playsilks an image of my grandmother came to mind... she would wear these when it was windy so her hair wouldn't get messy.

I was thinking of getting some for DD's Easter basket, but at those prices I will most likely just get one or two.

crl
04-04-2011, 07:27 PM
We love our playsilks. They are on our second child now and have been played with at every age from 6 months up to 7 years so far. Ours were purchased over two Easters and one Christmas. So you could always buy a couple now and if they seem worthwhile to you, add to your collection. They work well a stockage stuffers and can also be used to wrap other presents.

If you google, you can find directions on dying your own with koolaid, you can buy the blanks fro dharma trading. I haven't done it, but if you want a bunch, this might be cheaper.

Catherine

BayGirl2
04-04-2011, 07:49 PM
I was just browsing through etsy... I'm a little surprised at the price of these things. A set of 12 were going for $125. They are just large, lightweight scarves, correct? Am I missing something? I really don't care if they are organic or hand dyed. I just think they would be cool to play with her.

My grandmother used to wear something similar on her head (kudos to anyone who knows what a babushka is) but obviously much smaller! I don't know what material hers were, but when I first saw playsilks an image of my grandmother came to mind... she would wear these when it was windy so her hair wouldn't get messy.

I was thinking of getting some for DD's Easter basket, but at those prices I will most likely just get one or two.

I know what a Babushka is!!!! Polish grandmother.

I made them myself by buying the blanks from Dharma trading company. I also bought die from them instead of using Kool Aid. I made about 6 of them, assorted shapes and sizes, for around $25, and I had a lot of dye left. They came out great, it took me one evening of work, maybe 2 hours.

Did it for DS's first Christmas and then used them to wrap presents. He likes to play with them when he sees them - flipping them over his head and twirling them around. I've seen 1 year olds just like to hold them because they are silky. I expect as he gets in to more imaginative play they will be used more intentionally.

vludmilla
04-04-2011, 08:01 PM
I made them for DD's 2nd birthday with the blanks from Dharma trading. I enjoyed making them and it was much cheaper. DD uses them a lot...as blankets, dress up clothes, uses the blue one as "water" or the green one as "grass".

vonfirmath
04-05-2011, 11:09 AM
A Toy Garden probably has them the cheapest (if you don't want to deal with making them yourself)
8 for $60 http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1114

In Grab Bag you can sometimes buy them individually cheaper: http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1448 (We have a yellow one with red stains from this)

Beneath The Rowan Tree's silks are more expensive -- $12 for this one say: http://www.etsy.com/listing/61802339/mixed-greens-35-inch-hand-dyed-playsilk but they have a lot more color in them too. and are IMHO worth having for variety.

OR $13.50 for a multi-color: http://www.etsy.com/listing/62123513/heart-of-the-rose-35-inch-playsilk

Note that the supplies for these, before the price of dye, time, shipping, etc is $5 each at Dharma: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1741-AA.shtml?lnav=scarves_silk.html

brittone2
04-05-2011, 11:13 AM
If you want to dye them on your own, it is a great time of the year because you can use the dyes from Easter Egg kits to dye (vinegar plus the coloring). These will generally result in pretty pastel colors (not super vibrant like some you can buy). If you see them on sale after the holiday it can be a good time to pick them up super cheap. You can also use unsweetened Koolaid. Purple is tough to achieve w/ koolaid as it generally turns brownish.

I've also done some natural dying in the past. One of my favorite silks is a golden color that I got using leftover coffee and some curry powder plus vinegar.

We wrap gifts in ours and use the green ones for Easter grass in the kids' baskets.

My DS1 liked them but got much more into them when DD was around 1 as she was really into creative play. They have used them a ton in the past few years. We have a lot of 35x35 ones, some hankie sized ones, and a very long one that I use over our playstands

lizzywednesday
04-05-2011, 11:15 AM
We love our playsilks. My mom splurged & bought a whole rainbow of (predyed) "baby silks" from Magic Cabin for DD at Christmas. We call them her "peek-a-boos" because she plays peek-a-boo with them all.the.time. whenever they're out.

The Magic Cabin ones come from Sara's Silks (I think; the tags are not in front of me as I am in the office today) ... and are probably a little smaller than a babushka. (I have a Slovak grandmother & Polish friends.)

They're nice quality little things and have been a big hit so far!

AnnieW625
04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
I am telling my mom to get some for DD2 for her birthday because her current favorite thing to do is to eat and pull at paper napkins, towels, paper, etc. I like the size of the Magic Cabin ones because they are a better size for her and much more managable than carrying around her A&A blankets. I will forward her the Magic Cabin link, but since she sews she might be able to buy a yard or two of silk and just put an edge around it.

vonfirmath
04-05-2011, 11:31 AM
What size are the Magic Cabin ones? I've got 35x35 and 11x11 ones. I also got Beneath the Rowan Tree to make us some custom 20-inch (I think) ones. last summer.

lizzywednesday
04-05-2011, 11:41 AM
What size are the Magic Cabin ones? I've got 35x35 and 11x11 ones. I also got Beneath the Rowan Tree to make us some custom 20-inch (I think) ones. last summer.

MC babysilks are 21x21

MC playsilks are 34x34

ahrimie
04-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Note that the supplies for these, before the price of dye, time, shipping, etc is $5 each at Dharma: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1741-AA.shtml?lnav=scarves_silk.html

Thanks for the link! After googling around, I found some blogs but the silk they recommended was nearly $10 per square.

ahisma
04-06-2011, 10:10 AM
We have a variety that we've collected over the years and I have to say that they are played with pretty much every day by DS1 and DS2. They're capes, lakes, roads, curtains for puppet shows, walls for forts, aprons for the play kitchen, you name it.

If I could just keep one toy for them it would be a hard pick between the playsilks and the magnatiles - both of which were pricey but worth every penny.

katydid1971
04-06-2011, 11:15 AM
I made a rainbow of these for DC for less than $40. I used the Dharma 35X 35 squares. I bought red, blue and yellow Wilton cake decorating dye at Walmart for less than $2 each and I have enough dye to do another 100 scarves or so. DS never plays with them DD plays with them some for dress up or used as baby blankets for her dollies etc. I'm glad I don't have a lot of $$$ tied up in these. Around here they really weren't as popular as I had hoped.

ahrimie
04-06-2011, 03:37 PM
What do you think is a good amount to start off with? I'm just going to dye them on my own. I was thinking at least 6... should I get 10?

Melaine
04-06-2011, 03:42 PM
This is one of those things we never invested in, but I STILL want. I actually invited a bunch of my friends to come over and dye them but nobody wanted to. The girls play with all our thrifted silks pretty often but they are not as silky or pretty as "real" playsilks.

vonfirmath
04-06-2011, 03:57 PM
What do you think is a good amount to start off with? I'm just going to dye them on my own. I was thinking at least 6... should I get 10?

I started out with 3 full size, got 6 of the 20x20 later and 1 more full size in pretty colors.

ahrimie
04-06-2011, 03:58 PM
This is one of those things we never invested in, but I STILL want. I actually invited a bunch of my friends to come over and dye them but nobody wanted to. The girls play with all our thrifted silks pretty often but they are not as silky or pretty as "real" playsilks.

I would totally come over! =P Wow, Melaine, I just noticed you and I joined BBB at similar times but I've posted only a fraction of yours!!

Melaine
04-06-2011, 03:59 PM
I would totally come over! =P Wow, Melaine, I just noticed you and I joined BBB at similar times but I've posted only a fraction of yours!!

I know, right? It was such a fun idea for a craft party!

Paper-bag over head here. I am an excessive big-mouth when it comes to BBB.

katydid1971
04-06-2011, 05:55 PM

I think start with 6 and do the colors of the rainbow. If they are super popular you can make more (tie dye, pink, rainbow, etc)

artvandalay
04-18-2011, 09:05 AM
I am really intrigued with the idea of making these. I think I am going to do it.

So, you think 35x35 is good for an 11 month old?

Also is there any difference between using Kool Aid VS. Easter Egg dye?

And do either of these fade when you wash them?

Thanks!

brittone2
04-18-2011, 09:41 AM
IME the Easter Egg dye will probably be a little lighter in color than Kool aid unless you are using multiple packets. Both will end up more pastel/lighter than using some of the actual procion dyes that the professionals use. IME, I doubt your infant will care and will enjoy them no matter what.

You can buy food coloring paste at craft stores and that will probably give you a little more intense color.

You rinse them when you are done coloring them and some of the color will rinse out at that time. Mine only faded a bit more since that point but we don't wash ours very often.