PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a one year old....

Chryz
04-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Did you buy a seat her her/him or no?

We are looking to purchase tickets soon and being a first time mom, I'm not sure if we should buy one for our DD. What has your experience doing so either way?

TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
04-05-2011, 07:33 PM
With ds1 I didn't know better and he was a lap baby exceot for a coast to coast flight (bought him a seat). But, with ds2 I learned how important they are for safety so I always suck it up and bought one for ds2. Made the actual flight easier.

Beth

vtmom
04-05-2011, 07:41 PM
We've done both depending on the length of the flight.

I did a lot of one hour flights with DD where I did not get her a seat. Several times I got lucky and there were empty seats on the flight so she got a seat anyway. The short flights were fine whether she was in my lap or a seat, although whenever she had her own seat she slept almost the whole time.

We've also done several 5+ hour flights and she has always had her own seat for those. These have been with and without DH. DD needs her own space to nap and the carseat is familiar and sends the message that she has to stay put whereas she would try to wiggle out of our arms if she was in a lap. Also DH is tall and barely has enough room for himself in his seat.

Hope that helps.

mezzona
04-05-2011, 07:52 PM
no and i wish i did. she was already walking at the time. she was also a very social baby and she just wanted to go down and walk around and see everyone.

wellyes
04-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't for a short flight, but it makes a long flight a lot easier.

LMPC
04-05-2011, 08:34 PM
I flew several times in DD's first 2 years (ah, those free to fly years!) and the only time she had her own seat was when we went to London. Most of the flights were 1.5-2.5 hours long, so it was easier. I would have bought her a seat if one of our legs was over 3 hours long.

Are you flying alone? I found it was much easier when DH was there on flights...we just passed her back and forth.

lizzywednesday
04-07-2011, 01:04 PM
We bought our DD her own seat when we went from Philly to Phoenix this past December; she was a bit over 9 months then. She's a super-social little thing, but it was also late & she needed to sleep. I am also a nervous flyer and tend to nap on the plane, which is something I couldn't have done if I'd had a baby on my lap.

We also brought her carseat (and used it on the plane; we have a KeyFit30 and it's rated for airplane use) because DH started talking about renting a carseat while in town and I put my foot down. (Then he started talking about holding her on our laps for the hour ride from the airport to his parents'. I also put my foot down and flat-out refused to discuss it until he'd given in. My child's safety on the ground is non-negotiable.)

Honestly, depending on your kid, the carseat may be overkill. For us, it ensured that she sacked out as soon as we were airborne, making the flight much more pleasant for the passengers around us. (Hey, not ending up on blogs like STFU Parents, etc., is a plus in my book!)

arivecchi
04-07-2011, 01:20 PM
I did not buy a seat for DS1 at first and then quickly learned how much easier and safer it is to buy them a seat! IME, the kids behave so much better when they can ride in their car sears on the plane and you know they are well protected in the event there is turbulence.

YouAreTheFocus
04-07-2011, 01:46 PM
We have always gotten our son his own seat. He is 18 mos, we've done 6 RTs w/ him so far, another planned for the end of this month. I cannot imagine holding him for an entire flight at any age! I agree w/ the PP, easier & safer all around.

Btw, we have saved some money by flying SW, give them a call and ask about the infant fare, they will check what's available. Baby must be under 2 and you'll have to bring a birth certificate.

3blackcats
04-07-2011, 01:55 PM
We have purchased DD a seat every single flight she has been on. And we fly a lot! Our most popular flight is only an hour in the air and I still buy her a seat. Worth every single penny, IMO. She rides in her Marathon and I use GoGoKidz to get her through the airport. 95% of the flights DD has been on, it's just me and her, no DH.