PDA

View Full Version : MMR 12 month shot- Please assure me this is okay...

pinkflamingo
04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Tomorrow is my daughter's 12 month appointment (she was born 3.30.10). I am SO freaked out about the MMR shot. Mostly about the horror stories of babies coming down with high fevers and never being the same, having regressive autism.

Why I worry? She is making all of her milestones. I take baby developmental tests for her every few weeks and log the results and she is fine. Sometimes she rocks back and forth in her highchair, usually when she is bored or wants to get out. She also sometimes flaps her hands for a few moments. She has started pointing in the last 3 weeks, but she was late to do so and is very random. She tries to reach for stuff, and only randomly extends her pointer finger, usually only her left index finger. She does show good joint attention, smiles a lot, is a happy, calm baby. Her older brother has ADD but is a great kid, an honors student. We do not have autism in our immediate family, a distant cousin has asperger's but that's about it. Do kids really just start regressing with ZERO signs? Or is she displaying signs?

Please tell me this shot is in her best interest. There is a current outbreak of Measles in the UK. A baby in Houston came down with Measles this week as well. She stays at home with a family member, is never out in public or in daycare. I felt like I was saying goodbye to her as I put her to bed tonight. Yes, I am super stressed and a worrywart. Should I delay it? how long? she has had all the past shots on time. Thanks for listening!

SnuggleBuggles
04-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Weigh out what you feel more comfortable with- the rare very chance of contracting measles (etc.) or of some reaction. Also, do you plan to get other shots tomorrow? I personally feel more comfortable with no more than 1 shot at a time and we did MMR as a stand alone when we did it. My comfort level was to wait till closer to 2yo, which is how it was with ds1. I don't really have autism fears with vaccines. There was just something that made me want to wait on that one though. I had ds2 get it right before his 2nd b-day.

Beth

JBaxter
04-05-2011, 08:50 PM
You can always do it at the 15 month or 18 month visit if your worried. Logan and Connor were fine but Nathan reacted BADLY. Jack hasnt had his MMR yet because of Nathan's raction. Im scared and may not do it till 5 or later. We will also NOT give the MMR with any other vaccines or within 2 weeks of being sick

bubbaray
04-05-2011, 08:52 PM
You'll here all sides here.

I'm pro vax. My girls both got the MMR. DD#2 had it delayed for other reasons (she was diagnosed with food allergies just shy of 12m and the dr's didn't want to vax her until that was sorted out). IIRC, she had the MMR at 14m, 2nd dose 6m after that.

FWIW, the initial "study" linking the MMR to autism has been completely rejected by the medical and scientific community.

I don't think the signs you mentioned are concerning, but have you discussed with your dr? Your own dr, fully aware of all the medical facts, is in the best position to tell you what you describe is concerning.

sariana
04-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Millions of children get vaccinated every year, and most have no or very minor issues. Whether you should get this vax is of course entirely up to you, but for the vast majority of children it is safe and effective.

Do some have adverse reactions? As with anything in this world, there are no guarantees. However, the risk of measles (and mumps and rubella, to a lesser extent) is known and real. So you have to weigh that risk with the potential risk of an adverse reaction to a vaccine.

I really don't remember the milestones for 12 months, but nothing you have described strikes me as unusual. Babies--and in fact children too--progress in fits and starts.

I personally am pro-vax; I think the evidence in favor outweighs the evidence against. But you have to make a choice that feels right to and for you.

pinkflamingo
04-05-2011, 08:54 PM
I read that MMR has live virus or something along those lines and can cause a measles like infection. I wish we could do them separately. I really want to wait. Is my ped going to think I am crazy or just jumping on the autism scare bandwagon? I know the Wakefield study was flawed, but Hannah Polling case and others make me think there is a connection somewhere.

bubbaray
04-05-2011, 08:54 PM
I also wanted to say that getting a measles-like rash & mild fever 7-10 days post-shot is not considered an "adverse reaction" to the MMR. Its actually a sign of good immunity to those components. My DD#2 had the MMR rash and the dr's were pleased. She has other skin issues and contracting anything like measles (or chicken pox, which we did separately) is very serious for her.

maydaymommy
04-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Many, many studies have proven there is no link between autism and the MMR. Other studies showing a causal relationship between the two have been discredited.

That being said, why don't you just delay it a few months if you're worried? Many peds don't even give it until 15 or 18 months. My totally mainstream doctor's office is fine with me delaying that one until closer to 2.

You will get varies responses to this here. To answer your question about kids who change when they get the vaccine and never return to "normal," I can only repeat what numerous doctors have told me. In those cases where a sudden change occurred, there was always some sign of a difference beforehand.

I remember my own stress before my own ds1 turned 1. I was crazed trying to track down individual vials of the vaccine's components and talking to everyone I knew who questioned vaccine safety. My point is, it's hard to be faced with these things. I chose to vaccinate and cautiously trusted that my kids would be safe.

If you are really concerned, perhaps you could delay for a few months and have your dd evaluated in that time.

Good luck

mommylamb
04-05-2011, 08:58 PM
I personally am pro-vax; I think the evidence in favor outweighs the evidence against. But you have to make a choice that feels right to and for you.
:yeahthat: My ped did MMR at 15 months rather than 12 months. Not sure why, but that's just how they do it in our practice. No adverse reaction at all. There are definitely those on these boards who oppose vaccines or selectively vax, but I think the majority of us are very comfortable with them, as is the vast majority of the scientific and medical community. And, even the people here who oppose vaccines tend to oppose them for reasons other than fears of autism (or so I've gathered). Personally, I am 100% comfortable with vaccines for my family.

sariana
04-05-2011, 09:06 PM
I read that MMR has live virus or something along those lines and can cause a measles like infection.

I have no idea whether this is true, but even if it is, this is not a bad thing. Fighting a "mild" form of the disease is how our bodies build up the immunity. That's how a vaccine works, whether live or not.

I wish we could do them separately. I really want to wait.

Have you asked whether you can wait?

Is my ped going to think I am crazy or just jumping on the autism scare bandwagon?

I doubt it, but if so, do you really want to stay with that ped? I feel totally comfortable discussing my concerns with our ped. She always addresses my concerns and gives me good guidance. I wouldn't want to stay with her if I felt I was going to be ridiculed or dismissed.

I know the Wakefield study was flawed, but Hannah Polling case and others make me think there is a connection somewhere.

No one really knows for sure. Again, you have to look at the risks you know (the outbreaks you mentioned, for example) versus the suspected risks we aren't sure about.

It sounds as though you would benefit from a frank discussion with your ped. See what s/he says. Don't worry about seeming overly paranoid or "jumping on the bandwagon;" it's your job as a parent to find out as much as you can and make the best decisions you can for your family.

JBaxter
04-05-2011, 09:08 PM
I have no idea whether this is true, but even if it is, this is not a bad thing. Fighting a "mild" form of the disease is how our bodies build up the immunity. That's how a vaccine works, whether live or not.

Have you asked whether you can wait?

I doubt it, but if so, do you really want to stay with that ped? I feel totally comfortable discussing my concerns with our ped. She always addresses my concerns and gives me good guidance. I wouldn't want to stay with her if I felt I was going to be ridiculed or dismissed.

No one really knows for sure. Again, you have to look at the risks you know (the outbreaks you mentioned, for example) versus the suspected risks we aren't sure about.

It sounds as though you would benefit from a frank discussion with your ped. See what s/he says. Don't worry about seeming overly paranoid or "jumping on the bandwagon;" it's your job as a parent to find out as much as you can and make the best decisions you can for your family.

They stopped making the separate vaccines 2 yrs ago.

wellyes
04-05-2011, 09:09 PM
FWIW, the initial "study" linking the MMR to autism has been completely rejected by the medical and scientific community.It was not just bad science. It was determined to be deliberate fraud. It was a lie by a man being paid by lawyers who were suing vaccine companies.

I vax on schedule and am very comfortable with it. But if you're not, wait. Of course you can wait. They will never give your child a vaccine without your consent. Don't make any medical decision you're not comfortable with. Ask your pediatrician for literature and read the Sears "Vaccine Book" as a start.

Jo..
04-05-2011, 09:12 PM
I am a big believer in "Mommy Gut".

If it is making you this nervous, wait a bit.

JMS
04-05-2011, 09:13 PM
I space out vaccines and all three of my kids got (or will get) their first MMR at 5 years old. Do a search here. There are a lot of people on this board who selectively vax or delay some vaccinations. It's an individual and often difficult decision. My primary advice is don't make it a rushed decision. You can not change your mind after the vaccination has been given.

chozen
04-05-2011, 09:14 PM
i really think that you should hold off until you feel comfortable with your child getting this vaccine. like some pp have stated many ped. hold off on this vax until 15 - 18mo. and some peds won't give them until the child is verbal. do what you feel comfortable with!

ohsara430
04-05-2011, 09:15 PM
We got DD the MMR at 13 months, it was her 1 yr appt that just had to be pushed back due to some craziness we had going on. We had her get only that one shot at that visit. If you are concerned definitely talk to your doctor, explain your fears, see what they say and make the best decision for your family.

ha98ed14
04-05-2011, 09:18 PM
DISLAIMER: This is all MY opinion.

MMR is pretty safe IMO. We did selective and some delayed vax, but this was one I did not skip and did on time. Now, that said, if I was nervous about it, I would not have a problem delaying it to 18 months. IMO, the most important for infants are HIB (meningitis!) and DTaP (Whooping cough).

The R in the MMR is is Rubella which is to protect pregnant women whose babies will be born with birth defects, but it is not all that dangerous to kids themselves. This is a selfish way to look at it, but looking at it from the perspective of "what could happen to my child?", Rubella is not the worst thing that could happen.

The only reason I would proceed with the MMR ASAP would be if you live in a crunchy area where people tend not to vax their kids. Then I would do it, even tho it is the opposite of what everyone else around me is doing. :P Measles is on the rise.

The whole d@mn thing is so convoluted. We all want to do what's best for our own kids, but sometimes that is the same thing as putting other people (including children) at risk.

IJust to give you something to compare, these are the ones that my ped said were musts for infants:

PCV (Prevnar) --I delayed it to 4 mos, 6 mos, 15 months
HIB -- I did 2 doses instead of 3 starting at 4 months
DTaP --I did 3 doses so far, starting at 4 mos, but am waiting til after 4 y.o. to do the fourth.

He said to do MMR at 12 mos, but I did it by itself. I skipped Rota Virus all together, and have yet to do Polio, Hep A&B or Varicella. DD will be 4 next month and at her Well Baby 4 y.o. visit, I plan to do Hep A. It is the one that you get from eating tainted food. Snce she's older and eats what we eat in restaurants and other places outside out home, I see it as a legitimate risk, so I'm gonna do it.

Babymakes3
04-05-2011, 09:23 PM
We are doing the alternative schedule for all of ds's shots and upon discussing with our pedi we decided to hold off until ds is 3 to do the MMR.

georgiegirl
04-05-2011, 09:23 PM
I waited until DS was 18 months old for the MMR. We have only been doing 1 shot per visit. DS did have a reaction to the MMR though...a high fever about a week later. Despite the whole autism controversy, l wanted to wait until DS was definitely talking well before doing the MMR. If you are feeling uneasy, put it off for a few months, until her 15 or 18 month appointment. At least in our state, it isn't "required" according to daycare licensing until 18 months.

elliput
04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
My oldest DC has autism. She is/was completely vax'd on schedule. Looking back at my DD's development it was obvious she was showing early signs of autism long before she received the MMR, I was just very clueless as to what those signs were. My DS is also vax'd completely on schedule, and we suspected autism in DD before he was born. He is very obviously neurotypical and it there have been many times my DH and I commented that if he would have been born first, we would have realized what was going on with DD much earlier.

Just from what I am reading about your DD, she sounds normal/neurotypical to me. However, do what you are comfortable with. If you want to delay, then delay. If you have a good, receptive doctor, he will listen and understand your concerns.

Green_Tea
04-05-2011, 10:16 PM
My DDs were vaxed on time, but I spaced out/delayed DS's vaxes and our peds were 100% fine with that decision and were willing to work with me. He didn't get the MMR until he turned 3.

If you're not comfortable with her getting the shot tomorrow, don't get it. If your ped has an issue with it, find a new ped. Many, many peds are very open to a flexible vaccination schedule.

dogmom
04-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Weigh out what you feel more comfortable with- the rare very chance of contracting measles (etc.) or of some reaction. Also, do you plan to get other shots tomorrow? I personally feel more comfortable with no more than 1 shot at a time and we did MMR as a stand alone when we did it. My comfort level was to wait till closer to 2yo, which is how it was with ds1. I don't really have autism fears with vaccines. There was just something that made me want to wait on that one though. I had ds2 get it right before his 2nd b-day.

Beth

We just had an outbreak of Measles in Boston. People who could not prove they had the vaccine or a measles titer that were in the same building with patient zero were put on quarantine for weeks, unable to leave their home. Patient zero also visiting a health center where mothers with small children are seen. There was sort of a panic tracking everyone down that had been seen around the same time of her to make sure that they had the vaccine, that they weren't too young. Luckily it was a low income area and they actually have a higher rate of vax now a days. Measles is one the most contagious diseases on the planet.

From the CDC site:
"During 2008, more measles cases were reported than in any other year since 1997. More than 90% of those infected had not been vaccinated, or their vaccination status was unknown."

My kids had no problem with their MMR or any other shot. I personally have had 3 MMR.

JBaxter
04-06-2011, 08:05 AM
We just had an outbreak of Measles in Boston. People who could not prove they had the vaccine or a measles titer that were in the same building with patient zero were put on quarantine for weeks, unable to leave their home. Patient zero also visiting a health center where mothers with small children are seen. There was sort of a panic tracking everyone down that had been seen around the same time of her to make sure that they had the vaccine, that they weren't too young. Luckily it was a low income area and they actually have a higher rate of vax now a days. Measles is one the most contagious diseases on the planet.

From the CDC site:
"During 2008, more measles cases were reported than in any other year since 1997. More than 90% of those infected had not been vaccinated, or their vaccination status was unknown."

My kids had no problem with their MMR or any other shot. I personally have had 3 MMR.

Curious how many people on Boston had measles? I found this article that said one person tested positive that worked for the French consulate Not everyone vaccinates for all he diseases that we vaccinate for in the US. We have neighbors who are from France and their boys dont have nearly the vaccines that are given here.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/02/24/boston-officials-work-contain-possible-measles-outbreak/

dogmom
04-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Curious how many people on Boston had measles? I found this article that said one person tested positive that worked for the French consulate Not everyone vaccinates for all he diseases that we vaccinate for in the US. We have neighbors who are from France and their boys dont have nearly the vaccines that are given here.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/02/24/boston-officials-work-contain-possible-measles-outbreak/

Five confirmed cases. Patient zero had recent traveled abroad, given the epidemiological tracking they assume she had gotten it there. There was a delay in diagnosing her and that didn't help. Once Boston Public Health Department was notified they jumped on it pretty quickly with vaccines and 3 week quarantines. It's one of those diseases that just make public health people very nervous.

One of the biggest outbreaks recently is the San Diego outbreak in 2008. 11 kids infected, 3 under the age of 12 months.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm57e222a1.htm

bubbaray
04-06-2011, 09:31 AM
3 week quarantines are not uncommon. There was a measles outbreak in a city close to us last year. A letter came home with DD from school saying that if you could not prove that your child had received the MMR, if there was a case of measles at the school, any unvaxed child would be barred from attending for 21 days. Not sure how they would/could enforce that, but that was what the letter said.

DebbieJ
04-06-2011, 10:45 AM
If you're uncomfortable about it, then just delay it. My 18 mo has not had the MMR. I refuse to give it to him this young and my ped's office does not stock the three separate vaccines. We are waiting til at least 3 yo.

DebbieJ
04-06-2011, 10:46 AM
They stopped making the separate vaccines 2 yrs ago.

I read somewhere that they were supposed to be making them again in 2011.

AnnieW625
04-06-2011, 11:33 AM

I had read that too in late 2009 either before or while I was pregnant with DD2.

DD1 was vaxed on schedule. I am unclear whether or not I will give DD1 all of the vaccines she needs at her 12 month visit because I believe she will also be seen at 15 months, but if not then definitely at 18 months. DD1 had no reactions to any vaccines and DD2 hasn't had any either. This may sound incredibly stupid but I had no idea that you could delay or select vax. with DD1.

I don't do flu shots but have done every other vax that has been offered.

JBaxter
04-06-2011, 11:33 AM

Nope. Its too expensive for Merck to redo the lines of productions.

pinkflamingo
04-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Thank you for all the responses. I think it is very interesting to read all of the different opinions. For me, I am going to delay the MMR for a while. Until she is talking, most likely. :love5:

Kindra178
04-06-2011, 12:59 PM
The two pediatric practices we have used do MMR at 15 months, and we "delayed" until 18 months. I knew that there was no real basis for doing so, but it made me feel better. There are so many shots to give that it's easy to change things around a bit and reorder.

arivecchi
04-06-2011, 01:19 PM
We pushed back DS2's MMR to 18 months from 15 months. He was getting a lot of vaxes anyway so I wanted to space them out a bit. Our ped had no issues with this.

DebbieJ
04-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Nope. Its too expensive for Merck to redo the lines of productions.

Oh snap. Guess we'll keep waiting then.

llama8
04-06-2011, 03:18 PM
My DD Ped's office gives the ahot at 15 months. She did get a fever from it, but not any more unusual than some previous shot. She was ok after it. I did delay the chicken pox shot because I am pregnant and have no immunity to it. I'll give it to her in a few months.

I am pro vax, but I was little nervous about the MMR...even though it is not linked to autism in the new studies...it was in the back of my head as a concern.

Millions of kids get it and are fine. good luck (maybe they can delay it a little).

Gena
04-06-2011, 03:32 PM
DS was born with autism. He is fully vaxed.

DS got the MMR shot at 18 months. He had signs of autism long before then, we just didn't realize it at the time. As a matter of fact, that 18 month appointment was the first time I told the doctor that I was starting to have concerns about his development (no words, no pointing, little eye contact). He did not have a reaction to the shot.

daisymommy
04-06-2011, 04:25 PM
The most important thing you can do is to do your research, and know what all the possible side effects and outcomes can be from each vaccine, and then weigh that against the possible dangers of the disease itself, and how likely it is your child will catch it, if they do get sick what is the prognosis for recovery/how bad will it be.

Autism is not at ALL the only reason to be thoughtful of vaccines. There are many more serious side effects possible. If you feel the chances of those side effects are minimal in comparison to the vaccine, then you can go forward with it and feel a little more comfortable in your decision.

We do not vaccinate. But to each his own.

I would do some reading, and delay the MMR until you know what is best for your child. You can always get the shot later if that is what you chose. But you can't take it back once it's done. There's no reason to rush it, just so to avoid rocking the boat with the doctor. This is your child--your decision.

Some good starting off points:
-The Vaccine Book (Dr. Sears)
-What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations (Stephanie Cave M.D.)
-National Vaccine Information Center http://www.nvic.org/

marymoo86
04-06-2011, 04:33 PM
You may also want to read up on your state laws as well. Don't know if your DC is in daycare or not but some states have requirements and time frames as to when certain vaccines have to be given in order to attend.

almostmom
04-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Our ped does this shot at 18 months, which felt more comfortable for me. They are so much more responsive and interactive at that age, and it just felt like they were more able to handle a shot like that. Just a mommy feeling. I don't think there's any compelling reason to do it at 12 months, but I do think there are compelling reasons to vax. So my opinion is to wait a bit.

JBaxter
04-06-2011, 04:55 PM
You may also want to read up on your state laws as well. Don't know if your DC is in daycare or not but some states have requirements and time frames as to when certain vaccines have to be given in order to attend.

Mississippi and West Virginia are the only states with out exemptions for school. There is no "law" on vaccinating your children.

BayGirl2
04-06-2011, 05:06 PM
DS was born with autism. He is fully vaxed.

DS got the MMR shot at 18 months. He had signs of autism long before then, we just didn't realize it at the time. As a matter of fact, that 18 month appointment was the first time I told the doctor that I was starting to have concerns about his development (no words, no pointing, little eye contact). He did not have a reaction to the shot.

I think this is a very important point from a couple of the PP's with autistic children. In studies it has been shown that Dr's can identify children with signs of autism well before they are vaccinated. (Studies where they show the Peds video of diagnosed children at a younger age.) But often the Dr's aren't consciously looking at that age or aren't sure enough in their diagnosis to share the information with parents.

Given your concerns about your DC's behavior and development, I would have an open discussion with your Ped on that, totally separate from the vaccine topic. It sounds like its causing you some concern, and although her development sounds on track to many of us here, only your Dr can really calm your fears.

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Mississippi and West Virginia are the only states with out exemptions for school. There is no "law" on vaccinating your children.

But, it will vary by program. Ds2's preschool is a private, religious preschool and they can set their own rules. They decided that all kids must be up to date on all vaccines and were not allowing any waivers. I don't love in one of those states.

Beth