PDA

View Full Version : Allergy medicine while nursing?

csnoop
04-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Does anyone know or have any suggestion for OTC allergy med that is safe to use while nursing?

The last time I took allergy meds was more than 8 years ago. I think Zyrtec had just come out at the time. My doctor back then had prescribed me different things, spray, pills etc. My body just adjusted to then after a few months. So I wasn't very keen on them. For the past 8 years or so, I had just lived with the seasonal allergy. It has never been too bad, just running nose. But this year, for some reason, it's pretty bad. My eyes were itching really bad that I had to take off my contact lens for an extended period of time for fear of scratching my cornea or something like that.

I am not motivated to make an appt with my primary care doctor... I haven't met this person before because I was switched over to her after my old doctor moved out of the network. I also have to find childcare for my two kids when I go to the appt... I am hoping that people here would have some suggestion before I go this route.

CC

georgiegirl
04-05-2011, 09:26 PM
How old is your child? I think the main concern with allergy meds is reducing your supply. Most meds are perfectly safe while bring. Check kellymom.com though, or call your local LLL leader, who probably has a copy of dr. Hale's book.

belovedgandp
04-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Nasal rinsing has saved me while pregnant and nursing. I understood how it could help with sinus issues, but the allergy thing had me skeptical. I am a believer. I use the squeeze bottle every morning and occasionally in the afternoon (great relief right after a I mow the grass.

sunshine873
04-05-2011, 09:36 PM
A friend of mine was told by her Dr that Claritin was safe to take while nursing so she took it, but quickly realized that it really affected her supply. Like pp said, there is a difference between a medicine being safe and it not affecting supply.

MSWR0319
04-05-2011, 09:50 PM
I took Zyrtec while nursing and had no problems. I also used the nasal rinse (neti pot) to help ease the pain!

essnce629
04-06-2011, 01:44 AM
Cold and Allergy Remedies Compatible with Breastfeeding
http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

creativelightbulb
04-06-2011, 08:33 AM
my ped gave the go ahead for me to take Zyrtec...I've done so for the last week or so and I JUST realized while reading this thread that it has reduced my supply. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why I simply haven't been producing what I had been over the last 7 months....

I guess I'll be suffering this season because my 25 lbs seven month old is not gonna want to hear excuses as to why her cow isn't putting out...

thanks ladies for the info...

~new mom - lesson learned signing off

lizzywednesday
04-06-2011, 08:41 AM
I took Zyrtec last spring (without it, I'd have been miserable) while trying to establish my supply, which may have hurt it a little.

I was able to counteract it by staying hydrated and taking fenugreek supplements until we'd established a good nursing rhythm and my allergies calmed down.

FWIW, I heard that the only one it's NOT okay to take is Allegra.

csnoop
04-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks everyone for their suggestion. My DS is 8 months old so I am still nursing full-time. The Kellymom chart seems like complicated. I think I will look for a neti pot first... I have never heard of it before.

CC

creativelightbulb
04-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks everyone for their suggestion. My DS is 8 months old so I am still nursing full-time. The Kellymom chart seems like complicated. I think I will look for a neti pot first... I have never heard of it before.

CC

do get a neti pot ASAP!! I swear by mine - I have been using it twice daily as I did last spring while pregnant...

after today's light bulb about the zyrtec I will be stopping by the CVS to get another to bring to work tomorrow and leave at my desk...

catsnkid
04-06-2011, 01:46 PM
I have used claritan throughout pregnancy and nursing.