PDA

View Full Version : Now Trembling too? She's vomiting and screaming for water...

Clarity
04-05-2011, 09:45 PM
I've been following the 1 tsp every 5-10 minutes for about an hour and I decided to wake dd up to get her something to drink because she's been so dehydrated. This last time I woke her I noticed that she was trembling as she grabbed for the teaspoon. I noticed she'd trembled a bit earlier each time I gave her something but it was very mild. This time is more noticeable. I gave her the teaspoon dispenser and it was shaking in her hands. What's worse is that she was transfixed by it. It really seemed like something was *wrong* momentarily.

I've soothed her, taken her to the bathroom (where she did not urinate) and laid her back down. I'm wondering if the trembling might have been a response to being woken? I haven't called the ped because it wasn't an emergency just momentarily frightening.

I've given her acetaminophen for the fever so it's only about 99F now.

Thanks everyone for your input, it's really helped put my mind at ease.

My 2 1/2 yr old that is. She's been vomiting off and on for about 18 hours. I've read up on protocol and called her pediatrician just to touch base but I've finding it impossible to ignore her screaming and begging for something to drink. As a result, I've been giving more than I'm *supposed* to and yes, she's vomiting it up. :( But right now she's running a mild fever too (100F) so I'm confused about not giving her liquids while having a fever. (She is urinating about every 4-5 hours.)
Should I wait it out a bit more? Call the ped. back? She's just so thirsty and I feel awful about it.

bubbaray
04-05-2011, 09:49 PM
I would try to get some pedialyte or gatorade into her. Tell her you'll give her a small sip of water (a spoonful tops) if she takes a sip of pedialyte (again,by the spoonful).

jren
Can you try some pedialyte? Maybe she'd be able to keep that down better? And it tastes so awful, maybe she'll be more inclined to sip at it.

So sorry!

alexsmommy
IIRC water is actually harder on your stomach when vomiting than flat soda, juice (not citrus) or the obvious pedialyte. My kids hate pedialyte but will do diluted Gatorade or Popsicles. Good luck.

SnuggleBuggles
04-05-2011, 09:51 PM
I have never heard not to give liquids. I think they are super important. If they come up, they come up but I think that it's best to go with what dd thinks she needs. It's miserable to feel dehydrated. If you can, maybe you can get some Pedialyte popsicles? Maybe they'll stay down better and give some electrolytes?

I'm sorry she's sick. :( I hope she feels better!!!

BEth

lhafer
04-05-2011, 09:52 PM
How much did they tell you to give her? And what did they say about pedialyte vs water?

Try an ounce an hour. She's urinating, but she's still dehydrated.

a. 1 teaspoon every 10 minutes for 1 hour (equals 1 ounce per hour).

b. If no vomiting, then 2 teaspoons every 10 minutes for 1 hour (equals 2 ounces per hour).

c. If no vomiting, then 3 teaspoons every 10 minutes for 1 hour (equals 3 ounces per hour).

d. If no vomiting, then sips of fluid every 10 to 15 minutes, on demand, by your child.

Corie
04-05-2011, 09:53 PM
My pediatrician always told me to give 1-2 tablespoons
every 15 minutes. But it's so hard to get them to stop
drinking! I totally understand. I would have to grab the
sippy cup from my son's hands while he was crying and
still trying to chug the water.

DrSally
04-05-2011, 09:55 PM
I would try to get some pedialyte or gatorade into her. Tell her you'll give her a small sip of water (a spoonful tops) if she takes a sip of pedialyte (again,by the spoonful).

:yeahthat:

Twoboos
04-05-2011, 09:55 PM
You could try giving ice chips? I was puking this weekend and these helped my thirst and stayed down as opposed to when I drank water.

Clarity
04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
We've been giving her some pedialyte but I'm struggling to follow the ounce an hour protocol because she is so very thirsty. She gets inconsolable about wanting a drink.
I was giving her about an ounce and if she held that down, an ounce more 10 minutes later and so on but she's still vomiting. A teaspoon seems like nothing at all when she's so thirsty. She's not happy with it that I can say with certainty.

bubbaray
04-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Protocol at Children's Hospital is here is 5ml (teaspoon) every 5 minutes if possible, but at the very least, 5ml every 15 minutes. I have more success with the 5/15 route, but that is because my DD never WANTS to drink, we have to force her. If yours wants to drink, I would do 5ml pedialyte, wait 5 min, then do 5ml water and keep alternating every 5 min.

GL!

barkley1
04-05-2011, 10:04 PM
i second the ice chips - ds LOVES those, even when not sick. Maybe the novelty will distract her from wanting to chug water. Same w/ pedialite popsicles...

Clarity
04-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Protocol at Children's Hospital is here is 5ml (teaspoon) every 5 minutes if possible, but at the very least, 5ml every 15 minutes. I have more success with the 5/15 route, but that is because my DD never WANTS to drink, we have to force her. If yours wants to drink, I would do 5ml pedialyte, wait 5 min, then do 5ml water and keep alternating every 5 min.

GL!

That feels more promising, I'll give it a try. Thank you so much.

MamaMolly
04-05-2011, 10:07 PM
I can't help but feel like the water is easier to get up than dry heaving. I give water, probably more than I should. CVS sells Pedialyte strips, I think they are called CVS 'rehydration' strips? They resemble the Listerine breath strips. Maybe someone could pick up some for you tomorrow? Then you could give the electrolytes that way with regular water.

Poor little one! I'm sorry she's sick. I hope she feels better soon.

Corie
04-05-2011, 10:22 PM
I can't help but feel like the water is easier to get up than dry heaving. I give water, probably more than I should.

I totally agree!

Clarity
04-05-2011, 10:29 PM
On an empty stomach, she hasn't vomited. It's only when we put something in there that it all comes up again. :(

Jacksmommy2b
04-05-2011, 11:59 PM
I shake terribly when woken unexpectedly. (not from like an alarm or baby, but if someone were to shake me awake.)

I have noticed J do it occasionally too. It usually only lasts a few minutes.

I wouldn't worry this specifically. Her body is going through a lot.

bubbaray
04-06-2011, 12:09 AM
My DD shakes when she has a fever sometimes. I'd keep an eye on it overnight. I wouldn't wake her to give her liquids for a while. Can you sleep in her room? That is what we do, one of us sleeps in DDs room and gives liquids when she is awake.

Hugs mama, GI bugs suck.

Clarity
04-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks again for the help, Ladies. My kids have never had a GI bug like this and she had me in knots a bit with the screeching for a drink. She's recovering now, she stopped vomiting after about 18hrs and we've been able to give her liquids and small amount of food. Thank goodness!
I do think that the trembling may have been a combination of lack of food and being woken from sleep. She's just wiped out.

amldaley
04-06-2011, 12:05 PM
I haven't posted b/c I sincerely had nothing of value to add, but I wanted to tell you that I have been following along and thinking of you both. Hope today brings rest and recovery.

ThreeofUs
04-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks again for the help, Ladies. My kids have never had a GI bug like this and she had me in knots a bit with the screeching for a drink. She's recovering now, she stopped vomiting after about 18hrs and we've been able to give her liquids and small amount of food. Thank goodness!
I do think that the trembling may have been a combination of lack of food and being woken from sleep. She's just wiped out.

Late to this, but so sorry! :hug::hug: to both of you.

If your poor little one has what's going on around here, she's over the worst part. It really wipes you out, and all the adults who get it from their kids are reporting a lot of pain. I'd keep an eye on her for the trembling, but my guys were both doing it.

Sending P&PT that she recovers soon and that's it for your household.

DrSally
04-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Glad she is on the mend and can finally get something in her stomach, poor girl!

Fairy
04-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Completely late to this, but very glad to hear she's better. Been there, but the trembling would put me over the edge. Sending hugs to all!

blue
04-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Completely late to this, but very glad to hear she's better. Been there, but the trembling would put me over the edge. Sending hugs to all!

:yeahthat:

mommylamb
04-06-2011, 04:16 PM
OMG, poor little thing! I'm glad she's doing better. How awful!

Clarity
04-06-2011, 06:59 PM
I haven't posted b/c I sincerely had nothing of value to add, but I wanted to tell you that I have been following along and thinking of you both. Hope today brings rest and recovery.

Late comers or not, I certainly appreciate the love. Thank you. DD2 is still recovering, still running a low fever and now has loose stools. Still, today we managed to get some coconut yogurt in her, a banana/tofu blend that I made for her and....chocolate soy pudding. Whatever works. :)

I dosed her with some acidophillus and will be keeping her home one more day. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that dd1 doesn't catch this (and can I add just how sweet and solicitous dd1 has been with dd2? So cute!).