PDA

View Full Version : Girl Scout Patch adhesive?

Twoboos
04-05-2011, 10:08 PM
I don't have a sewing machine, nor the inclination to borrow one to sew on patches. I need adhesive, iron-on or otherwise.

I've been told I need special Girl Scout Patch adhesive to make these things stick.

I think I have to call to the Boy Scout Store (way closer) and see if they have the GS sticky stuff.

ANyone know if I can get something else online that will work just as well? How have you stuck on GS patches without sewing??

TIA!!

ohiomom1121
04-05-2011, 10:13 PM
I have used Liquid Stitch on iron on patches and it holds great. Got it at JoAnns or Michaels.

mnosky1
04-06-2011, 01:39 PM
I have used patch attach - I couldn't find in store anywhere so had to get through Amazon and pay shipping (not sold by Amazon so not eligible for prime or fs). Read the review from Robert McCloskey to see how to modify the directions for a better hold - you need to hold the iron on longer. But it is a pain to use - you need to cut the plastic backing from the edges of the patch with an exacto knife and hold iron for a good while on each side, edges etc. It is better if you do several at a time becuase you can hold the iron on 2 or so patches at once maybe.
http://www.amazon.com/Patch-Attach-Permanent-Adhesive/dp/B001D4CYP6

I find it MUCH quicker to just sew with needle and thread - there is no machine required. I looked at my old girl scout sash and realized you need very few stiches per badge to hold it in place. Just a couple stiches per inch around the edge in a coordinated color to the badge.

Michelle

missliss55
04-06-2011, 03:33 PM
We have a local dry cleaner that will sew the patches on as well as a local small sewing shop that will too. Ask around. I have friends that you badge magic but I prefer to sew them on. My mother-in-law sometimes will sew them on for me and she just uses a needle and thread.

kwc
04-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Are you thinking of Badge Magic?
http://www.badgemagic.com/

They must not have permission from GS USA to use their name so they just list them under "Girls" and uniform color.

It's pretty easy for the standard GS patches as it is precut but it's still a pain to stick around the varied size "activity" badges. It is a bit easier than using the iron fusible stuff, though.

ellies mom
04-07-2011, 02:01 AM
I like to hand sew on my patches. But one of the guys I went to nursing school with had really good luck using, I believe a hot glue gun to attach our school patch to his scrubs. He claimed it was rubber cement but it seemed more like hot glue. In any case it went through pretty heavy washing and lasted for over quarter and a half. I would think it would work even better on a sash which is unlikely to see a lot of washing.

That said, I'm sure the real patch stuff would be better. I definitely recommend hand sewing patches over paying somebody because it adds up quickly and doesn't take that long.

egoldber
04-07-2011, 07:30 AM
I have used a hot glue gun with success to attache patches. :) It may fail eventually, but it works for a long time.

Corie
04-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I found a local alterations shop in town and she sewed all the
patches on the sash for me. She only charged me $20 and
she sewed on over 40 patches/try-its and also did alterations
on a shirt for me. I didn't think that was bad.

I gave her business cards to some other Girl Scout moms who
want to use her too.

Canna
04-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Is there another mommy with a sewing machine in your neighborhood/troop? I machine sew DD's patches on and it's so easy - I'd be happy to do it for another mom is she asked me. Takes like 60 seconds.