PDA

View Full Version : Is my pump pooping out on me already?

Tammy
04-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Back to work this week so I'm pumping to keep feeding DD2 breastmilk. I've had this pump 4 1/2 yrs (Medela Pump In Style). I noticed while using the plug in cord to the pump that it was sounding slower and not as strong, so I used the battery pack thing to pump and it was faster paced. I'm also not pumping as much milk as I should be or have been (may have nothing to do with it but just wondering if it does). Thoughts?
Fyi- I called the local hospital store where I bought it years ago and they said well it may not be working as well as it used to but they didn't really know. :rolleyes:

Purple18
04-05-2011, 10:46 PM
I have heard that if you have removed the faceplate from the pump to clean it or whatever if you don't put it back on a certain way it can decrease the suction - no idea if this is true, but I've been told that if you turn the pump on w/o the faceplate that you will see it push out. When you do - turn off the pump and replace the faceplate to make sure there is very little space there and create some suction and that it "may" help. I am having the same issue with mine and the LC at the hospital I will be delivering at said to bring it in and have the power tested so I can decide whether to buy another or rent or if it's just my imagnination. Interested to see how it works out for you...

Tammy
04-05-2011, 10:57 PM
I have heard that if you have removed the faceplate from the pump to clean it or whatever if you don't put it back on a certain way it can decrease the suction - no idea if this is true, but I've been told that if you turn the pump on w/o the faceplate that you will see it push out. When you do - turn off the pump and replace the faceplate to make sure there is very little space there and create some suction and that it "may" help. I am having the same issue with mine and the LC at the hospital I will be delivering at said to bring it in and have the power tested so I can decide whether to buy another or rent or if it's just my imagnination. Interested to see how it works out for you...

Guess I need to find out where to get mine tested around here then. Thanks. :)

wendibird22
04-06-2011, 09:11 AM
I'd call Medela CS. They are great about helping you troubleshoot. Perhaps the AC cord is damaged from getting wound/smooshed up for storage?

When I took my PISA out of storage to use with DD2 I took off the faceplate and cleaned the diaphragm area (recommended by CS), replaced tubing, replaced values and membranes, and replaced the connectors (which had some hard water build up/film on them). The pump worked much better after all of that.

pb&j
04-06-2011, 10:03 AM
The battery pack normally operates at a faster pace (but lower suction, I think) than the ac adapter. Have you replace the membranes lately?

Tammy
04-06-2011, 09:02 PM
The battery pack normally operates at a faster pace (but lower suction, I think) than the ac adapter. Have you replace the membranes lately?

Yes, I replaced the valves and membranes 2 months ago. Good suggestion from pp to clean it though. I haven't done that but worth a try. I better dig out the instructions.