PDA

View Full Version : Nursing Cover

eh613c
04-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Can any of you recommend a nice but affordable nursing cover?

ahrimie
04-05-2011, 11:16 PM
I had a bebe au lait from my shower.. I think they're around $30-35. Not really cheap but I TOTALLY loved it and used it a ton. I liked the bowed top and while I thought others could look down, you have to try REALLY hard to see anything (I tested this many times with DH, lol, to make sure).

lizzywednesday
04-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Udder Covers runs "freebies" fairly frequently - you only pay shipping ($9.95) if you have a code. It's one per address, but, frankly, getting a cover that retails for $40 for $10 is a GREAT deal.

It looks like they ran a code promo recently because all their covers are on backorder today!

The site is www.uddercovers.com

The cheapest premade on the market, IME, are the ones by Munchkin that are sold at places like Target. But the prints are LOUD, the fabric is smelly, the neckline isn't as adjustable as an Udder Cover/Bebe Au Lait/Hooter Hider and the boning (the materials that allow the neckline to "bow" out) is flimsy. My first cover was a Munchkin one and, while it was serviceable, I did NOT like it at all.

I upgraded to an Udder Cover with a "freebie" code. It now lives in the "bottle cooler" in my diaper bag, though DD will play with it when she nurses nowadays.

And, lastly, you could probably sew one (if you sew) by following these (or similar) instructions: http://blisstree.com/live/free-pattern-to-sew-your-own-nursing-cover/

artvandalay
04-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Udder Covers runs "freebies" fairly frequently - you only pay shipping ($9.95) if you have a code. It's one per address, but, frankly, getting a cover that retails for $40 for $10 is a GREAT deal.

It looks like they ran a code promo recently because all their covers are on backorder today!

The site is www.uddercovers.com (http://www.uddercovers.com)

The cheapest premade on the market, IME, are the ones by Munchkin that are sold at places like Target. But the prints are LOUD, the fabric is smelly, the neckline isn't as adjustable as an Udder Cover/Bebe Au Lait/Hooter Hider and the boning (the materials that allow the neckline to "bow" out) is flimsy. My first cover was a Munchkin one and, while it was serviceable, I did NOT like it at all.

I upgraded to an Udder Cover with a "freebie" code. It now lives in the "bottle cooler" in my diaper bag, though DD will play with it when she nurses nowadays.

And, lastly, you could probably sew one (if you sew) by following these (or similar) instructions: http://blisstree.com/live/free-pattern-to-sew-your-own-nursing-cover/

:yeahthat: This is how I got my Udder Cover (with the code). I also have a very lightweight, breathable knit poncho that I found at Marshall's. I've used that and it doens't look like a nursing cover so it's not very noticable.

Schmitty21
04-06-2011, 11:15 AM
I also received a Bebe au Lait at my shower, and am very happy with it. Pretty prints, big open adjustable neck. Easy to machine wash.

I also loved that the lower corners have a triangle of towel/absorbant white fabric sewn into the back side. Great for if you don't have a burp cloth handy. Whichever you go with, I'd suggest that as a feature to look for.

Have fun!

ahrimie
04-06-2011, 04:49 PM

The site is www.uddercovers.com

Where do you usually find the codes? I wouldn't mind getting another one for Baby 2 while the other is in the wash.

lizzywednesday
04-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Where do you usually find the codes? I wouldn't mind getting another one for Baby 2 while the other is in the wash.

I got my initial code from my SIL, and then I signed up for marketing e-mails.

I'm not sure where else to find them, though.

momm
04-07-2011, 10:42 AM
I got an udder cover, too, with a promo code.
Usually they create fake users and post on all possible pregnancy boards :) but it works so I don't care about the fake user part. :)

You can check here for codes:
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/uddercovers.com

To be fair, I've seen some awesome thick nursing covers which come around you all the way and ensures that no one can even see you from the sides. Udder covers are not so fancy. But it does the job and for <10$ with the "code" it's totally worth it.

eh613c
04-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I've heard about the promo codes for Udder Covers. I've also heard that if you pay the shipping with your credit card, you end up having unauthorized transactions. Is this true?

edurnemk
04-07-2011, 07:01 PM
I loved my bebe au lait. Not cheap, but totally worth it. I had a couple of cheap ones from Target before it (I didn't know about the bebe au lait) and I hated them, I wish I had gotten the bebe au lait from the start. It's bigger than others so keeps you covered even with a squirming, kicking older baby under it. I loved the neckline and the prints.

ahrimie
04-07-2011, 09:06 PM
You can check here for codes:
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/uddercovers.com

The current code is "Family2011". It'll just ship out at the end of the month. Bought mine... thanks!!

lalasmama
04-08-2011, 12:38 AM
I've heard about the promo codes for Udder Covers. I've also heard that if you pay the shipping with your credit card, you end up having unauthorized transactions. Is this true?

I've ordered from UdderCovers 3 or 4 times, and haven't had an issue yet. in fact, I'm ordering from their other site (www.sevenslings.com) this evening...

ahrimie
04-08-2011, 12:45 AM
I've ordered from UdderCovers 3 or 4 times, and haven't had an issue yet. in fact, I'm ordering from their other site (www.sevenslings.com) this evening...

I was debating on doing that too... have you tried the sling before? I've always wanted to try a sling but never found one that fit the first time around. They have "size insurance" for $3.50 in case it's not the right size and they'll switch it out once within 2 weeks.

And PS. How do you order from them 3 or 4 times? Are they with different promo codes or you buy different ones in different transactions?

ETA: OP, I'm sorry... I think I have more than hijacked this thread!!:bag

momm
04-08-2011, 08:14 AM

I've bought from uddercovers and not had a problem with unauthorized transactions. I did some research before buying, and the general consensus was that there was no issue. I agree though that there was a rumor or something about this.

HTH!

lizzywednesday
04-08-2011, 08:57 AM

No, it is not true.

They could have had a security breach at some point, but they do also accept PayPal, which doesn't reveal your info to anyone.

lalasmama
04-09-2011, 01:13 AM
And PS. How do you order from them 3 or 4 times? Are they with different promo codes or you buy different ones in different transactions?

ETA: OP, I'm sorry... I think I have more than hijacked this thread!!:bag

I ordered twice last night :)

A current sling code is "candie" (no quotes). Then when you order, they will give you a code for a nursing cover (free other than shipping). Then when you order that, they will give you a sling code (likely, your email will be your one-time use free code) and another nursing code. And then every few months (usually some holiday) they will send you more free codes.

We've got a Porter cover on the way and a black magic sling.

I have used slings with my earlier foster children, and so when this new little one gets here, I will sling when he is at my house. I haven't used a Seven Slings before, but have used multiple others, so I am excited to try this one and see how it goes!

ahrimie
04-29-2011, 09:37 PM
I just got my udder cover in the mail today. I'm glad it nearly free because I think it's kind of small. I've checked on etsy and some other sites since ordering this and their measurements are so much bigger. I haven't put it next to my bebe au lait but it seems smaller than it too. I think I will get one from etsy that is larger..

soon2b4
04-30-2011, 07:46 AM
I got a Bebe au Lait from Zulily for 17.99 in March... you can find free shipping codes that help, too.
If you don't need it right away, you could watch for them to come back.