PDA

View Full Version : questions about suppliments

jess_g
04-06-2011, 10:12 AM
For those of you giving your kids suppliments like Omega 3 and extra vitimans, how do you know which ones to try and do you a see a special dr. that tells you which ones to take and the doses? Or is there a good book that can help to get us started?

thanks, Jessica.

Gena
04-06-2011, 12:39 PM
My DS is on a few different suppliments. As for which ones to try, I often get information from other parents, either at the local support group or on the email lists I belong to. I research suppliments before I try them, to find out the best brands, dosing recommendations, possible side effects, and to see if there have been any studies done.

I do discuss the suppliments with DS's docotrs, both our regular doctor and the developmental ped. I make sure that they have a record of what he's taking, in case there are any interactions or other effects. (For example, Omega 3 supplimets act as a blood thinner, so it can be important for medical personnel to be aware of that.)

Our regular doctor will sometimes tell me that there is no proven benefit to a suppliment we are trying, but he's open minded about it. The developmental ped is always very interested to hear about what suppliments we are using and what effects we have seen. If I ask her about a particular suppliment, she will tell me what experiences other families have reported.

As for dosing, most of the suppliments DS takes have dosing information for children. For others I talk to the doctor and other parents for dosing recommendations. I always start with a low dose and gradually ramp up.