PDA

View Full Version : Crib jumper! Help

poohbear
04-06-2011, 10:30 AM
DS is 23 months old and jumped out of his crib last night. We put his mattress on the floor and put a gate on the door and he tried climbing over the gate.
He does sleep on a cot at daycare, and eventually went to sleep on the mattress on the floor, however early in the morning was up screaming. He generally will play in his crib when he is up in the mornings otherwise.
My pediatrician recommended a crib tent based on the fact that he is trying to climb the gate and she doesn't think he is old enough for a bed. I was just curious about others' experiences with similar situations and crib tents or transitions...
TIA!

Beth24
04-06-2011, 10:57 AM
I never had a little escape artists I cannot advise you on the containment issue, but I can advise you that the longer you keep your DS in a crib the better. I didn't move any of mine out of their cribs until at least age 3...it is so much easier to do the bed transition when they can truly understand that they need to stay in their beds! DH and I used to think it was so funny that they would all call out in the am when they woke up for us to come and get them out of bed, as if they didn't realize they could just get up themselves.

This is my longwinded way of saying, if you can find something that works to keep your DS safely inside his crib I would advise using it as long as you can.

arivecchi
04-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Crib tent all the way! The longer he stays in the crib the better!

poohbear
04-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. This is my initial thought as well - I would prefer to keep him contained, especially in light of the gate climbing ;)
The tent just seemed a little...barbaric ;)
I know some people move their LO's to beds at age 2, but I don't think my LO is ready for that (or maybe it's us as parents that aren't ready - or both). I'm not sure how DS will react, but I'm off to BBB today after work...
Arivecchi - have you tried the crib tent?

mom2khj
04-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Definitely depends on the child. Moved my first to a bed at that age and she was almost 4 before she'd come out of her room (or get out of bed) without me going up there to get her.

My second? Yeah, she was in the crib until 3.5! :rotflmao: