PDA

View Full Version : Long international flight alone w/2 kids- would you do it?

wolverine2
04-06-2011, 11:24 AM
We were all set to go to Australia this summer to visit DH's family. Now, DH has a work thing that came up and it's important, but right in the middle of when our trip is supposed to be (tickets already bought- ours are award tickets and refundable, the kids are not).

We've come up with several options. One involves me going alone w/ the kids and him joining us later. It's 3 flights- 6 hrs,13 hrs, 1 hr. Kiddos are 3 and 6. Could I survive that? (And unrelated, could I survive being at MIL's without him? :))

Other options are possible to change the dates entirely (like go in Dec), but there are no award tickets available when we'd want to go and fares are much higher. I think I could do the flight, but I think it would be awful...

carolinamama
04-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Well, I think you would survive it especially if you went in with the attitude that it is going to suck but won't last forever. Fortunately, your kids aren't super young. I don't know what to tell you. If you really want to go, then do it. It's harder since it is your DH's family and not yours. Would your DH be able to fly back with you guys so you only have one way to consider? That may make a big difference in my mind.

BillK
04-06-2011, 11:35 AM
It's 3 flights- 6 hrs,13 hrs, 1 hr. Kiddos are 3 and 6. Could I survive that? (And unrelated, could I survive being at MIL's without him? :))

Not sure about mother in law - but I think you could survive the flight stuff easy...:)

Indianamom2
04-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Well, take this with a grain of salt as I've never flown with any kids, but I think you could do it with those ages. It probably wouldn't be tons of fun, but it is doable since it's just a one time thing.

spunkybaby
04-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't do it, but that's because I have a shaky relationship with my in-laws and would not want to spend time with them without DH. I am also not fond of flying with the kids, even with both parents.

But it's definitely possible to fly alone with both kids on an international multi-leg journey. It just depends on how important this trip is to you. Also, depending on your relationship with your in-laws, maybe you would be able to rest once you got to Australia.

Personally, I would be afraid that after a long, horrid trip, I would end up dealing with my jet lag, the kids' jet lag, and criticism from my in-laws. If I were going to visit my family, it would be a different story. I might suck up the long flight, knowing that my parents would help me with the kids and I could rest.

How long would you be with your in-laws before your DH arrives?

nfowife
04-06-2011, 12:01 PM
The flights you could definitely do. I flew with my kids alone last summer from Europe to the USA and it was about a 24 hour ordeal from start to finish with layovers. I wouldn't say it was "fun" but it wasn't horrible by any means. The ipod touches were great (We have one and I borrowed another one and they both had tons of kids shows and games- this was before DH and I had iphones). I brought some great coloring stuff for DD since she loves that and some new cars for DS and doled them out every so often. And lots of food for snacks and a bunch of treat food too like lollipops and gum.
But, yes assuming you think going to the IL's alone with the kids would be tolerable, the flights won't be too bad. And even if they are, it doesn't last forever :) .

schrocat
04-06-2011, 12:03 PM
The flight with a 3 and 6 year old. Yes. MIL? I don't know... depends on whether you get along with her.

ijopint
04-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah, you can do it. Your kids are 3 and 6, they are going to be okay, just bring extra activities for them to do during the flight. In addition, check your airline and preorder kids meals (they can still do it during the flight)and I am sure they will be kids movies for them.
I did a 21 hour flight from NY to Asia (2009)with only DS who was 3 that time and preggy at 3 months without DH , that flight also had a stopover for 3 hours! I thought I cannot handle DS but he was good and well-behaved..he enjoyed watching the Alvin and the chipsmunks(showing that time) ,playing the headsets and all..
re: your MIL , negative or positive , MIL always has something to say anyway no matter what..:p .yes take the flight.

wolverine2
04-06-2011, 12:48 PM
If we kept our originally scheduled flight, I would be there for 2 weeks without DH. I do not think I can survive this. I think I'm willing to go early w/o him but for no longer than a week until he gets there. MIL and I do get along, and it would probably be fine, but there are times that DH runs interference and I really value that! She isn't so great w/ boundaries and there have been a few gems...

eh613c
04-06-2011, 05:06 PM
You should wait. If you bought your kids' tickets through a credit card, check if they have travel insurance and may get reimbursed (not fully) for the tickets.

kerridean
04-06-2011, 06:31 PM
TWO WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ummm...no way!!!!!!!!!!!

cilantromapuche
04-06-2011, 06:39 PM
I fly all the time without DH (Actually have flown with him once and kids and he slept the whole flight) on long flights with kids. I've been stranded with them, etc. Honestly, it's fine. The kids love to fly and it is so exciting for them.
My rules are:
1) you must carry what you pack in your backpack
2) I carry the playing cards, playdough, googly eyes, snacks and drawing supplies. That's it.
Only you are the judge of your IL's :)

niccig
04-06-2011, 09:07 PM
If we kept our originally scheduled flight, I would be there for 2 weeks without DH. I do not think I can survive this. I think I'm willing to go early w/o him but for no longer than a week until he gets there. MIL and I do get along, and it would probably be fine, but there are times that DH runs interference and I really value that! She isn't so great w/ boundaries and there have been a few gems...

I just did this with DS at Christmas. I flew to Sydney with DS, had 2 days of sightseeeing, then flew to my parents and had 2 weeks until DH arrived. The flight, you could do - your 6 yo will be very easy, DS is the same age and it was the easiest flight with him. That let's you concentrate your attention on your 3yo

My only issue was transferring terminals as we weren't checked through with QANTAS for the return flight. Not the end of the world, but had to get our bags and us onto the train to go to the next terminal. I packed really light, so didn't have much stuff. There's also a bus or taxi option if you don't have the QANTAS transfer option.

2 weeks away from DH was difficult for us. DS missed him like crazy, and he wasn't on his best behaviour. I don't get along with my mother, but thankfully my aunt was also there and she's great at running interference. I had my own rental car and really planned visits with friends, activities to do, so we got out of the house a lot.

Is there any chance you can change the tickets for later, but not in December - it's way too expensive to go then. Can you change for a later date, even if you have to take the kids out of school? I know 2 weeks is long. We had 3 award tickets and had to put DH's miles back and I think that cost $150. So you'll have to look at what the cost of changing/canceling will cost you.

wolverine2
04-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Is there any chance you can change the tickets for later, but not in December - it's way too expensive to go then. Can you change for a later date, even if you have to take the kids out of school? I know 2 weeks is long. We had 3 award tickets and had to put DH's miles back and I think that cost $150. So you'll have to look at what the cost of changing/canceling will cost you.

I think this is what we may end up doing and just delay everything by a week. It would be $150 to cancel the award flights, but the kids tickets are non-refundable. There are no award tickets available if we wanted to go later, but we could cancel the tickets we have and buy 2 instead on the dates we want, and then we'd have to pay $175 per ticket to change the kids. (ugh). But it would be worth it to me to not spend 2 weeks alone with MIL! If we went even a week later, I could probably manage 1 week with MIL and then DH could join us. It's not ideal for us to wait till DH can go with us since MIL is on vacation and it would be half over by the time we got there (she's a teacher). There's no other time we can go since I'm a teacher and on the school schedule as well. I wish it wasn't so much $$ to go in December- I think I'd rather go then.

I think if I buy DS1 a DS or something, and make sure we're stocked with movies and have the Leapster for DS2, I can see it working maybe. I did this trip 2 years ago and there's no way I could see doing it w/ an 18 month old, but I do think my 6 yr old will be pretty good. I just think the hard part would be in the airport- having to go to the bathroom, etc. and never wanting to leave them alone. Guess we all go into the handicapped stall?

niccig
04-06-2011, 10:36 PM
DS was 6 yo too. I had him go into a bathroom stall and lock the door, then I went into one next to him or close by. He was not allowed to come out until I told him he could. We've done this for a little while, as he wants privacy when he goes and getting too big to be squished into a stall with me. You could then take the 3yo with you.

If it's United, there will be no personal TV screen - I was majorly annoyed as relying on their movies to get us through - so stock up. The Dsi and the leapster will help - I had an Ipad so Angry Birds was my go to game.

The flight there won't be too bad, as night flight and they'll hopefully sleep for some long stretches. They've also done this flight before, so they know the drill. I talked with DS about it beforehand and stressed that he needed to help out, as I wasn't carrying his things and my carry-on. I always pack a vegemite sandwich for us and a few snacks to tide us over if he gets hungry before a meal service.

I agree that the most difficult part would be with your ILs. I know the area where my parents live, and have friends that live w/2 hours drive - so I would go stay overnight with them, or meet somewhere half way for a day outing. I could also take DS to the beach/pool. When I've visited MIL by myself for a week, I was very much stuck until they wanted to go somewhere as I don't know the area well enough on my own. Now though, I know a couple of BBB mums, so I might set up playdates for future visits with her.