PDA

View Full Version : Magnatiles

vonfirmath
04-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Would you buy magnatiles for a house that was about to have an infant in it?

It appears the "stained glass" magnatiles look better on the website than the solids -- is this true in use as well?

missym
04-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Yes.

And yes. :)

IMO they're not a safety hazard. The only problem with infants + Magnatiles in our experience is that babies *love* to knock the towers down, but that just means they can be built again!

I personally think the clear colors are much prettier and lend themselves to creating stained glass windows, seeing toys inside the buildings made for them, etc.

wellyes
04-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Magnets and babies are obviously a huuuuuuge no-no but DS occasionally get hold of a magnatile and it doesn't make me nervous. I'd not hesitate to buy them. We have the clear ones and I recommend them.

vonfirmath
04-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks! I'm looking for a big brother gift and will add this to the list :) Since he's having his 4th birthday at the same time he's becoming a big brother I want to honor both

lovin2shop
04-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Agree, they do not concern me around a baby at all.

The magnetic building set with small, round marble sized magnets that my DS was given by a family member, that's a different story that probably belongs in the BP! You are very kind to think of both children!

Also, I vote for the clear as well!

KrisM
04-06-2011, 12:41 PM
They're great for houses with babies. They're one of the few things that are great for a huge range of ages.

ohiomom1121
04-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Agreed. They are really well made and I don't see baby being able to break them and get ahold of the magnets. DS2 loves to get ahold of them and it doesn't bother me at all.

ahrimie
04-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't be worried. Have you seen Magformers though? We bought magnatiles because they were a tad cheaper but I personally like Magformers better. I think they last longer too because the magnets are stronger; older kids can do more with them.

ett
04-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Yes and yes.

DrSally
04-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Yes and yes. The translucent ones are better IMO.

vonfirmath
04-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't be worried. Have you seen Magformers though? We bought magnatiles because they were a tad cheaper but I personally like Magformers better. I think they last longer too because the magnets are stronger; older kids can do more with them.

Hrms. Looking around the Magformers seem cheaper, but have less things they can build. I think we will stick with Magnatiles.

brittone2
04-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Another vote for no hesitation :)

Love our magnatiles.

ahrimie
04-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Hrms. Looking around the Magformers seem cheaper, but have less things they can build. I think we will stick with Magnatiles.

You have to buy more sets with the Magformers which make them a bit more expensive. You can pick these magnets up with just one piece and make huge shapes or even a ball, so there are endless possibilities. The Magnatiles are limited in that you can only build as high or big as the magnet will hold. After you get to a certain height, it just can't support the weight. Still, my DD loves them but my cousin has the Magformers and I wish I had bought that set instead.