PDA

View Full Version : Monograming Kids Bags, etc? Is this cheesey?

amldaley
04-06-2011, 11:57 AM
I need to have a special bag for DD for daycare.

I have been looking at monogramed totes on Etsy.

I like the idea of having just her first initial, large, on the bag. While I have shared her name here, I am kind of a name snob and while she would never be alone (she is not quite 3 yo) with the bag somewhere, I don't like the idea of strangers seeing it and knowing her name.

I am not looking at this specific bag, but what do you think of a monogram or personalization like this, but using the big initial as her first initial, M and the part where the name goes could be her last name?

I guess, if it I weren't such a freak about this, it would even work the other way with D as the initial and her first name spelled out...but that negates my security & snobbery concerns.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61128912/monogram-dots-personalized-canvas-bag?ref=sr_gallery_38&ga_search_query=monogramed+canvas+totes&ga_order=price_asc&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

hellokitty
04-06-2011, 12:02 PM
I don't like monogrammed bags, but that's just me. I do think that they are kind of cheesy, but I know a lot of ppl like them. For kids, I would not do it, b/c of safety reasons, pluse it makes the bag easier to pass on or sell later on if there isn't a monogram on it.

amldaley
04-06-2011, 12:10 PM
I don't like monogrammed bags, but that's just me. I do think that they are kind of cheesy, but I know a lot of ppl like them. For kids, I would not do it, b/c of safety reasons, pluse it makes the bag easier to pass on or sell later on if there isn't a monogram on it.

I guess I should have been more clear....I have to have a bag for DD that we bring with us daily and hangs in her cubby. She shares a cubby with another girl (who we have luckily known since both were tiny). Whenever the dad's pick up, they mix the girls soiled outfits, jackets, hairbows, etc up. It has happened several times now. It does not matter that their clothes are tagged b/c daycare puts soiled clothes in plastic bags & knots them. So, I need a bag they can drop the plastic bags in that is so obviously ours, there is no question. Both girls are potty training and both are a little rough and tumble at school, so there are plenty of wardrobe changes.

The monogram or personalization I am looking at is not a traditional monogram.

katydid1971
04-06-2011, 12:15 PM
I think is super cute and a good idea. Its not very expensive and you can use it for lots of stuff when you are no longer using it for school; dance class, to hold art supplies in the car for trips, etc. I think its would be a good solution to your problem.

Kindra178
04-06-2011, 12:18 PM
I think that's a great idea. A tote bag has so many additional uses, even after this particular use is not needed. For example, that could be her future library book bag or you could use if for groceries, etc.

boolady
04-06-2011, 12:19 PM
DD uses a pink LL Bean backpack for her daycare things, and it's monogrammed with her initials.

AnnieW625
04-06-2011, 12:20 PM
I haven't monogrammed anything, but if I did I would get a Lands End or LL Bean that they would be able to use later on, plus Lands End and LL Bean bags are very well made and will last a long time.

KpbS
04-06-2011, 12:23 PM
I like monogramming in general and the tote you picked out is cute! If you are concerned about safety would just an initial be identifying enough for d/c or do you need the full name? If you need the name, I would just go ahead and design it like the sample.

MoJo
04-06-2011, 12:25 PM
I'd probably just go with the initial and leave the name off, unless the other girl has the same initial.

My solution to this problem was a bag with my work logo on it. . . . none of the other parents works for my company & the daycare provider already associated me with my company from before she met the girls. It probably wouldn't work for you, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case. It's working great for us, and eliminates all of the privacy and security concerns.

KrisM
04-06-2011, 12:34 PM
I don't do it for the passing down reason. Maybe a last initial would work for that.

ohiomom1121
04-06-2011, 12:34 PM
I loved monogramming on kid items. My older two had monogrammed preschool backpacks from PBK that they adored. Stuff like that gets trashed so I don't worry about handing it down, selling it etc. The kids really like having things labeled as theirs.

GaPeach_in_Ca
04-06-2011, 12:35 PM
I think whatever you want to do it fine.

I have my son's initials first/last on his backpack. It's also kind of a nickname we call him (just the initials) so we like it. Yes, we can't pass it down, I suppose, but I plan to have him use it for a few years til it is worn out.

infomama
04-06-2011, 12:58 PM
It's a cute tote. I would probably opt for her favorite thing (horse or dolphin...whatever she loves) and have a big applique of that image applied to the tote. Then I would write her name inside or use a Mabel label (or the like).

amldaley
04-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Found a seller that does really cute, oversized LUGGAGE TAGS. That way I can attach it to the tote when we need to, use it for other things when we need to, or take it off to reuse the bag!

I love the idea of her having something that is JUST HERS, and I think this balances my concerns with my desire to indulge her :)

Thanks for all the feedback on both sides!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62857464/bag-tags-buy-3-and-get-the-4th-free-made

and I especially like the photo tag...
http://www.etsy.com/listing/58595425/personalized-photo-bag-tag-made-from

Think I may use a picture of mom & dad or a picture of our cats or something so she does not grow out of it instead of a picture of her.

WatchingThemGrow
04-06-2011, 01:40 PM
I know you found something already, but I ordered several for this same reason (bags in the church nursery/preschool) from this seller http://www.etsy.com/shop/SewUniqueStudio?section_id=5566423 . They are great and very easy to read b/c she put dark lettering on a white background, then the backing matches the lettering. I wish I'd gotten both sides of the fob personalized b/c it tends to flip over.

amldaley
04-06-2011, 01:49 PM
I know you found something already, but I ordered several for this same reason (bags in the church nursery/preschool) from this seller http://www.etsy.com/shop/SewUniqueStudio?section_id=5566423 . They are great and very easy to read b/c she put dark lettering on a white background, then the backing matches the lettering. I wish I'd gotten both sides of the fob personalized b/c it tends to flip over.

I like those, too! I am worried about the hard plastic ones scracthing or breaking over time. The fabric ones would likely last longer.

WatchingThemGrow
04-06-2011, 02:15 PM
I like those, too! I am worried about the hard plastic ones scracthing or breaking over time. The fabric ones would likely last longer.
We've had them since Aug 2009 and they're still looking great.

ahrimie
04-06-2011, 08:49 PM
I like that tote! I usually don't do cheesy looking bags but I like that monogram and that tote is so versatile (and affordable!).

MamaMolly
04-06-2011, 09:07 PM
I would just do the initial for your DD's first name. I wouldn't worry about her passing it down to anyone, she'll probably want to keep it!

I bought both my girls the Land's End tote with just their first initial (to use as Easter baskets), but the monogramming is small compared to what you found on Etsy. I like the Etsy one better for a cubby bag.

Melaine
04-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Found a seller that does really cute, oversized LUGGAGE TAGS. That way I can attach it to the tote when we need to, use it for other things when we need to, or take it off to reuse the bag!

I love the idea of her having something that is JUST HERS, and I think this balances my concerns with my desire to indulge her :)

Thanks for all the feedback on both sides!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62857464/bag-tags-buy-3-and-get-the-4th-free-made

and I especially like the photo tag...
http://www.etsy.com/listing/58595425/personalized-photo-bag-tag-made-from

Think I may use a picture of mom & dad or a picture of our cats or something so she does not grow out of it instead of a picture of her.

Wow! I love those. I would love to order a couple dozen so that we could tag a bunch of the girls things that they are constantly fighting over. Very cool!