PDA

View Full Version : Droid X for Dummies or just get an Iphone...please help....

AnnieW625
04-06-2011, 01:05 PM
I have Verizon and am staying with Verizon. No chance I will go to AT&T. Please do not suggest AT&T phones.

I know I have posted in the past about smart phone vs. dumb phone so please bear with me. I swear this is the last post regarding this subject. I lost my beloved dumb phone while we were on vacation a few weeks back and I need a new phone. DH says I really need a smart phone to keep me more organized. I am not 100% convinced, but okay I am slowly coming around to the idea.

How much of a learning curve does this phone have? Everyone I know IRL who has one is very technically advanced and knows how to work around things, install things, and make the phone work for them. I don't want that, and I don't want to get frusterated with a phone and making it work. I honestly think I am more of the typical Iphone user based on what I have read here and read online through other tech geek review sites. I like simple plug and play technology, and I HATE reading manuals.

Pros for Droid X:
I love the larger size, I like a phone that won't get lost in my purse.
It doesn't look like an Iphone (so DD1 won't want to play with it 24/7)
I can get it for $50
have had wonderful luck with my two prior Motorola phones (yes in the 9 yrs. I have had a cell phone I have only had 2 phones)

Cons for Droid X:
I feel like there is a learning curve to the phone
no specific card like Itunes card to use on the android market

Pros for Iphone:
ease of use
essentially plug & play
Itunes card for purchasing things

Cons for Iphone:
more expensive as I don't think my $150 in Verizon credits will work on the price (can't upgrade online, and haven't been to the store yet)
my DD1 knows how to use it and I don't want her playing with my phone 24/7

Undecided:
whether or not I want a keyboard that is pull out or not

BillK
04-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Both my wife and I have X's and both of us had iPhones with ATT previously.

The Android phones are not as user friendly as an iPhone - but not so unfriendly that it would be an issue. In fact - unless you've previously had an iPhone you'd not know the difference.

My wife took to her X easily but for the first week or two she did say the iPhone was "easier" but she adapted and seems perfectly happy with her Droid X now. With as huge as the X screen is I don't think you'd miss or need a physical keyboard but that's just my opinion.

When VZW announced the iPhone I offered to get her one she said "no - I'm happy with my X now".

I do agree that the lack of a Android Market card / purchasing deal sucks - and I do miss that from the iPhone - I liked not having to enter CC info but that's just how it is. Not sure how the new Amazon Android Market works but that might be worth looking into - they have mostly the same stuff as the official Android Market so maybe an Amazon card would work there....off to research!

arivecchi
04-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Annie, I really like my Droid X. I am not a techie by a long shot and I find it pretty darn easy to use. I love the huge screen! It is also easy to find in my bag which is great.

I have some bad news though. My kids know how to use it and have some games on mine! :tongue5:

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
04-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Annie,
I'm pretty tech-challenged. I never learned how to program the VCR, and now the era of the VCR has come and gone...

Having said that, I just recently upgraded from a dumb phone to a smart phone (droid X). I love it. The calendar feature is invaluable (we have 3 kids, and live a very full (ahem, hectic) lives).

I think it's very customizable, but I don't need to use all of those features, so I don't. I figure the less I mess around with it, the better.

The great thing is that I can google how to change my settings, instead of doing trial and error. For example, the calendar wasn't synching quite right, so I did a google search, and figured out how to clear calendar cache, and that fixed it right up.

Oh, and we're verizon customers also. I'll never switch to AT&T - coverage just isn't good enough where we live.

--Jennifer

swissair81
04-06-2011, 02:30 PM
I have a Verizon iPhone and I love it. My kids know how to use it, but they also know that the iPad is for them and my phone is just for me.

My DH had a Droid and he didn't like it. He is a BB person all the way.

janeybwild
04-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Also not a techie here. Went from a dumb phone to a Droid X. Loooooove it! They did all the basic set up in the store including signing up for a g-mail account (required to run on a Droid platform). Knew I wanted Google calendar to sync to my smartphone and this has been the single most revolutionary change in our family life so downloaded a free app for that. DH sees the family calendar and the kids calendar. He knows what's going on. No more double booking or having to be the point person on our social life. Revolutionary.
Apart from that, my needs are few. The hardest technical part for me was/is synching my work e-mail with my gmail on the phone. I have it sort of done now but I don’t have it set right, so I get all e-mails in both places. I’m not savvy enough to figure it out so I’ll live with it J Texting is so much easier. I have a post it note app to keep a running to do/buy list. All the little things that make life easier. And finally, to be able to whip out Angry Birds for my kids when we are waiting for an hour at the post off = priceless. Good luck.

ellies mom
04-06-2011, 03:43 PM
My husband has the Droid X and I have the iPhone. I am a techie person and I prefer my iPhone. I like the ease of the app store and there is more quality control over the apps than on the Andriod OS. Plus, the smaller size is a pro in my book. My husband found it to be a con. I had the option of getting the Droid or waiting for the iPhone to be released and I'm really glad I did.

We use Google calender and have both our phones linked with our desktops/laptops. We share multiple calenders so it makes it really handy to schedule something for him versus the girls and such.

kboyle
04-07-2011, 07:48 PM
i'm not tech challenged, but i didn't do any real customizing to my X. i just keep it simple, there are 7 "pages" on the screen and i only use 3 of them...i need clean and organized...i wanna see what i need to see when i look at my phone. i felt the iphone look to be too cluttered, i need to open an app to see weather or calendar...i like that i have a page that has my whole month calendar on it (jorte).

i downloaded the Amazon app and it works just fine. i tried it out since i keep a balance in my amazon acct. like itunes you can put $ on your acct via gift card and purchase your apps thru the amazon app.

i like that you can save apps and music on your SD card freeing up actual device memory which you cant do on iphone.

if the iphone 5 is SPECTACULAR i'd consider it, but as of right now i have no interest in changing devices, i LOVE LOVE LOVE the big screen...i have very small hands (sz 3.5 wedding ring) and can hold my phone nicely, and love that i can't lose it in my purse!

i was a BB person and tried the original droid and incredible before i liked android. and i'm not anti-apple devices, rihgt now we have 4 ipod touches and 2 ipad, for a phone though...i like my droid!