PDA

View Full Version : Video monitor suggestions

CharlotteMommy
04-06-2011, 01:25 PM
We are expecting baby #2 in September, and want to upgrade our baby monitor. Is there a video monitor on the market that has the capability to hook up two cameras, monitor both rooms simultaneously, and automatically switch between rooms throughout the night? TIA for the information!!!

Nyfeara
04-06-2011, 09:20 PM
We have this one from Summer Infant:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10812814

We did buy the extra camera but are not currently using it with 2 (DS2 is not due until July). I believe this one will automatically switch between the 2 cameras and I believe that you can manually switch between the cameras.

So far, we love the monitor itself. The picture is decent, the two-way talk feature is nice, we like the ability to pan & zoom in/out, and it never seems to have interference from any of the wireless devices in the house. It was definitely on the expensive side, but we'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

I think we bought it when they had a 20% off monitor coupon going around. The coupon actually worked on the extra camera as well. The extra camera was out of stock and on backorder for a little while when we were looking and that was at several different retailers. So, if you get a good deal, might want to jump on it.

tmahanes
04-06-2011, 09:46 PM
There was a set at costco the other day with capability of up to 4 cameras that would scan or show all at once. It was pretty cool looking! For under $200 with 2 cameras

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

marymoo86
04-07-2011, 11:08 AM
There was a set at costco the other day with capability of up to 4 cameras that would scan or show all at once. It was pretty cool looking! For under $200 with 2 cameras

It was the Lorex. I have the single and I love it! Great quality

tmahanes
04-07-2011, 11:29 AM
It was the Lorex. I have the single and I love it! Great quality

Yes that was the name I couldn't remember. :)

♥ms.pacman♥
04-07-2011, 11:56 AM
we had the same situation and could not find a good quality dual video monitor that we liked that had good reviews. i wanted to be able to see both rooms at once and many dual video monitors don't have that, or the quality is poor. we ended up just purchasing two IP cameras ($90 each) and installing them in the kids' bedrooms. it was pretty awesome as you can do remote panning/tilting, the video quality was far better than any video baby monitor, plus we can see the video feed from our iPods (so some people also use it as a nanny cam as well). other cool thing is that it has motion detection, so you can have it set an alarm once it detects a degree of motion and it will automatically capture a feed..useful if you want to know when your baby actually wakes up (my DS would woften ake up 20-30 minutes before he would start making noise). only downside is you do have to be a bit network/computer saavy to set everything up.

theriviera
04-07-2011, 02:00 PM
we had the same situation and could not find a good quality dual video monitor that we liked that had good reviews. i wanted to be able to see both rooms at once and many dual video monitors don't have that, or the quality is poor. we ended up just purchasing two IP cameras ($90 each) and installing them in the kids' bedrooms. it was pretty awesome as you can do remote panning/tilting, the video quality was far better than any video baby monitor, plus we can see the video feed from our iPods (so some people also use it as a nanny cam as well). other cool thing is that it has motion detection, so you can have it set an alarm once it detects a degree of motion and it will automatically capture a feed..useful if you want to know when your baby actually wakes up (my DS would woften ake up 20-30 minutes before he would start making noise). only downside is you do have to be a bit network/computer saavy to set everything up.

that sounds awesome! i would love to have that when i go back to work after my maternity leave with DD2. I think DH could figure out the setup. Do you have a link to what you bought and any guides to how to get it set up?

♥ms.pacman♥
04-08-2011, 03:53 PM
that sounds awesome! i would love to have that when i go back to work after my maternity leave with DD2. I think DH could figure out the setup. Do you have a link to what you bought and any guides to how to get it set up?

this the camera we got (we got two, one for each room).

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8918W-Wireless-Camera-Viewing/dp/B0046710G6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1302291548&sr=1-2

the video/image quality is pretty decent...640x480 resolution. i don't think any other baby video monitor comes close to this. i also like how you can easily take a snapshot and email it/save it to your computer (can do this from iPod/iPhone too if you have the app). can do this with video too. we often catch DS doing the funniest things while he's in his crib, so it's great to be able to capture that and email a clip to grandma or whoever.

i have attached some images taken with this camera in DS's room.

ahrimie
04-08-2011, 05:02 PM
only downside is you do have to be a bit network/computer saavy to set everything up.

How network/comp savvy do you have to be?

JBird'sMama
06-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Wow! This sounds waaaay like the way to go for video monitoring! Clever! :bighand:

Question: do you get sound when using it on your iPhone? Or just the motion sensing alarm?

theriviera
08-27-2011, 12:18 PM
I wanted to update this thread as I finally figured out how to set up the wireless IP cameras. It took me forever and lots of googling for instructions. I wanted to post the most comprehensive instructions I found in case others want to do this set up.

http://forums.pcwintech.com/index.php?topic=1911.0

I really love this! DH and I had a date night and I kept checking out my phone to see how the kids were doing. I think more than anything I was proud that I finally figured it out :yay: