PDA

View Full Version : Question about those Crane humidifiers...quick advice needed

TwinFoxes
04-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I just bought a humidifier because DD is coughing up a storm. We bought the elephant (so cute!) I filled it, and tried it out, and steam came out pretty quickly. Well, I just put them down for their nap, and no steam came out for about 30-45 seconds. I took the reservoir off, and there's a bunch of water in the base. Is that supposed to happen? I would have given it more time, but DDs were crying and saying they didn't like the elephant :rolleyes: and they were sleepy. But if it's supposed to have water in the bottom like that, and steam will eventually come out, I'm going to sneak back in and turn it on now that they're asleep. Thanks for any insight.

ray7694
04-06-2011, 02:16 PM
I returned mine as I had problems with it working.

weech
04-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Occasionally I've had to jiggle the water tank a little. Ours has to be on perfectly right or it doesn't work - we have the raindrop shape, though.

lizzywednesday
04-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I also have the elephant and I'm not sure if it's supposed to happen like that.

If there's no steam coming out when you switch it back on, it's going to leak. (Ours did.)

I think it's got to do with the way the trunk/steam vent is narrow, but I could be completely wrong.

I've tried filling it with less water to prevent the problem and that seemed to help a little.

Pinky
04-06-2011, 02:21 PM
We have the elephant too and it's worked perfectly... after you fill up the clear reservoir and turn it upside down into the base, you should hear the water gurgling out as it fills up the base... so, yes, it is normal for water to be in the base. Also, even when it looks like the clear reservoir is starting to get low it will still run for quite a while because of the water that has dripped down into the base.

With ours, we just fill it with water and then put it on the base and replace the snout piece on top... then turn it on and adjust the dial all the way up to see the steam coming out. Then once the steam is coming out (after just a few seconds) we turn down the dial until the steam is spraying straight up and none is falling down. If it's falling down then you have the steam up too high.

Good luck!

LMPC
04-06-2011, 02:46 PM
FWIW, our frog works fine and there's always water in the base when I take off the top piece.

wimama
04-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Occasionally I've had to jiggle the water tank a little. Ours has to be on perfectly right or it doesn't work - we have the raindrop shape, though.

We have the elephant too and it's worked perfectly... after you fill up the clear reservoir and turn it upside down into the base, you should hear the water gurgling out as it fills up the base... so, yes, it is normal for water to be in the base. Also, even when it looks like the clear reservoir is starting to get low it will still run for quite a while because of the water that has dripped down into the base.

With ours, we just fill it with water and then put it on the base and replace the snout piece on top... then turn it on and adjust the dial all the way up to see the steam coming out. Then once the steam is coming out (after just a few seconds) we turn down the dial until the steam is spraying straight up and none is falling down. If it's falling down then you have the steam up too high.

Good luck!

:yeahthat: Especially to the bolded. You need to make sure the reservoir is sitting just right and wait for the water to start gurgling out before you hit the switch. Then it should start up in a few seconds. Give the reservoir a wiggle to get it to sit right on the base.

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2011, 02:54 PM
FWIW, our frog works fine and there's always water in the base when I take off the top piece.

:yeahthat: on both counts.

Beth

mom2khj
04-06-2011, 02:58 PM

Good luck!

:yeahthat:

WolfpackMom
04-06-2011, 03:01 PM

:yeahthat: Love our froggy even though its a little creepy where the steam comes out! :P

jiggaman
04-06-2011, 03:06 PM

Good luck!

:yeahthat: Ditto on the gurgling. Also ditto on the steam too high. I set it too high once and it got the area around it all damp b/c it just went straight up and then down like a big fog bank on the table.

But the base always has water in it when you take the resevoir off.

Beth24
04-06-2011, 03:25 PM
I just bought a humidifier because DD is coughing up a storm. We bought the elephant (so cute!) I filled it, and tried it out, and steam came out pretty quickly. Well, I just put them down for their nap, and no steam came out for about 30-45 seconds. I took the reservoir off, and there's a bunch of water in the base. Is that supposed to happen? I would have given it more time, but DDs were crying and saying they didn't like the elephant :rolleyes: and they were sleepy. But if it's supposed to have water in the bottom like that, and steam will eventually come out, I'm going to sneak back in and turn it on now that they're asleep. Thanks for any insight.

So funny I have the same one and the same thing happened to me yesterday after months of use! I took the tank on and off and it started working fine again.