PDA

View Full Version : Can I make an inactive iPhone operational for my toddler?

Mommy_Again
04-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Has anyone done this?

DH has an old iPhone we just found. I don't want to hook it up to a cell provider, but I'd like my toddler to play games and just mess around with it. When I turn it on, it tells me I need a SIM card to use it. Can I buy a SIM card and put it in just to play games? If so, how much will the SIM card cost? Can I load new apps on this phone through the istore?

TIA!

TwinFoxes
04-06-2011, 03:46 PM
My kids use my old iphones to play games. Sorry, I don't know how much a new sim card costs. We download games for them with no problem.

mom2khj
04-06-2011, 03:48 PM
You just have to put a SIM card in it long enough to get rid of that message. Then you can remove the SIM card and it will work like an iPod Touch, without phone service.

I found some directions by googling, when I did it for my old iPhone.

nellonello
04-06-2011, 04:26 PM
You just have to put a SIM card in it long enough to get rid of that message. Then you can remove the SIM card and it will work like an iPod Touch, without phone service.

Yep. Works great!!!

Mommy_Again
04-06-2011, 04:27 PM

This is great, thank you. My problem now is that the old iPhone is AT&T and our current phones are Verizon...which don't seem to have SIM cards as far as I can tell. I'm going to need to make nice with someone IRL who has a valid iPhone SIM card so I can activate this thing.

mom2khj
04-06-2011, 04:38 PM
This is great, thank you. My problem now is that the old iPhone is AT&T and our current phones are Verizon...which don't seem to have SIM cards as far as I can tell. I'm going to need to make nice with someone IRL who has a valid iPhone SIM card so I can activate this thing.

Yeah, now that you mention that, I do remember that I had to borrow my mom's from her super-old phone. :)

larig
04-06-2011, 04:49 PM
can you just put it in airplane mode?

You can also jailbreak it, I'm guessing it wouldn't need a sim card for that.

DS uses my old 1st gen and has since Sept when I got an iphone 4. I don't remember having to do anything with sim cards to make it work, though. I had the apple store activate my new one and it seems like the old one was just unable to make calls at that point. I don't think they swapped sims though, so it may still have the old sim (inactive) in it.