PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who run...how do I get started?

rlmomto5
04-06-2011, 06:22 PM
If you are a runner how did you go about getting started? I need some help! Is it best to start walking regularly first then move on to running or can I just start running? I used to walk 3 miles a day, but that slowly dwindled. I need to start exercising again, and I've always wanted to run. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Renee

artvandalay
04-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Come join us on the Couch to 5K Support thread. I"m not a runner, either.. but I'm done with week one of the training and hope to start week two on Friday. I'm aiming for 3x per week but I'm happy if I get more in. The training is nice because you start off walking for 60 seconds, then running for 60 seconds, etc.. for 20 minutes. All interval training.... supposed to increase your endurance and by week 9 you should hopefully be able to run a 5k, although I'm sure I will probably end up repeating some weeks.

I don't have any real advice since I"m a novice runner, but congrats on wanting to get healthy!

hellokitty
04-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Come join us on the Couch to 5K Support thread. I"m not a runner, either.. but I'm done with week one of the training and hope to start week two on Friday. I'm aiming for 3x per week but I'm happy if I get more in. The training is nice because you start off walking for 60 seconds, then running for 60 seconds, etc.. for 20 minutes. All interval training.... supposed to increase your endurance and by week 9 you should hopefully be able to run a 5k, although I'm sure I will probably end up repeating some weeks.

I don't have any real advice since I"m a novice runner, but congrats on wanting to get healthy!

:yeahthat: Hope to see you over there. There are plenty of us who aren't experienced runners who are trying to get into a routine and improve our running endurance.

crazydiamond
04-08-2011, 10:07 AM
I was very out of shape in 2009. Walked slow for months, then fast (dork walk) for months, until I could run a bit of the time, then more. 45 mins each time. Took a while. I used a treadmill. I think I remember reading somewhere the general guidance was you could run once you were up to a pace of around 3.5 miles per hour walking, but it was when my joints and cardio could handle it. I watched heart rate carefully keeping it in the "zone"