PDA

View Full Version : Passover Meringue Desserts

lmr1101
04-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi,
I told my Mom I would make a meringue dessert for our Passover Sedar this year... anyone have any good ideas?
I've never made a meringue before so I'm open to any and all suggestions :bowdown:

nrp
04-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't know if this is what you were looking for - but I just clipped this article from the WSJ a couple of days ago - these look yummy! I never considered using a meringue as a pie crust substitute:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704559904576229090649622756.html

erosenst
04-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Not sure how strictly you follow the 'rules' - but my family has always had meringue shells with lemon sorbet and strawberries on top. (The lemon sorbet is likely not strictly kosher for passover. If you're really industrious you can make lemon ice that is.)

ilfaith
04-06-2011, 10:02 PM
I haven't actually made them...but this was recommended by some foodie friends of mine...

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2007/04/06/the-most-amazing-flourless-pistachio-cookies/

I'm planning on making them this year.

lmr1101
04-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the ideas, and please keep them coming. We are not very strict in the rules. We avoid the obvious, but we have been known to consider Mexican foods kosher for Passover because well tortillas are flat just like matzah :bag

Beth24
04-06-2011, 11:28 PM
I made a delicious lemon mousse the last couple years...would you be interested in the recipe for that?

Nibbler
04-07-2011, 02:18 AM
Smitten Kitchen has a good collection on Passover desserts, including meringue cookies and a pavlova (meringue with fruit & whipped cream) here: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/04/17-passover-dessert-ideas/

I *highly* recommend the chocolate caramel crack(ers) if you're open to a non-meringue. Super easy, and super tasty. http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/04/chocolate-caramel-crackers/

lmr1101
04-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Now I have too many recipes to choose from!!! I can honestly say I don't think I've ever had this problem for Passover desserts before!
Beth, I would love the lemon mousse recipe. I'm printing them all out and letting my Mom decide which ones she wants me to make. I have a feeling we'll be eating a lot of desserts this year :)

Beth24
04-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Now I have too many recipes to choose from!!! I can honestly say I don't think I've ever had this problem for Passover desserts before!
Beth, I would love the lemon mousse recipe. I'm printing them all out and letting my Mom decide which ones she wants me to make. I have a feeling we'll be eating a lot of desserts this year :)

Sorry this took me so long...here it is, credit goes to Barefoot Contessa!
Easy Lemon Mousse

Ingredients

3 eggs
3 eggs separated
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
Kosher salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup good bottled lemon curd, at room temperature
Sweetened Whipped Cream (for serving & decoration--add 1 tbl of vanilla and sugar to pint of whipping cream, beat in mixer until done)
Sliced lemon, for garnish if you want to get fancy

Directions
In a large heat-proof bowl, whisk together the 3 whole eggs, 3 egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, the lemon zest, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for about 10 to 12 minutes until the mixture is thick like pudding. (I change to a whisk when the mixture starts to get thick.) Take off the heat and set aside for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent skin from forming and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, until completely chilled.

Place half the egg whites and a pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and continue to beat until the whites are stiff and shiny. Carefully fold the beaten whites into the cold lemon mixture with a rubber spatula. Try not to deflate whites too much. Place the cream in the same bowl of the electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (no need to clean the bowl) and beat on high speed until the cream forms stiff peaks. Carefully fold the whipped cream into the lemon mixture. Fold in the lemon curd, and pour into a 7-inch-diameter, 3-inch-deep souffle dish. Decorate with sweetened whipped cream and lemon slices that have been cut into quarters.

Chill and serve cold.