PDA

View Full Version : Another toddler thread--how much are they supposed to eat?

fedoragirl
04-06-2011, 09:20 PM
DD just finished her first round of antibiotics and also turned into a full-fledged toddler. She would experiment all kinds of food before and eat a decent meal. Now, it's a challenge for her to put just once piece in her mouth.
She has not eaten a SINGLE SOLID food since the past 2 days. At first, I tried to force feed her which backfired. Also, I didn't want her to end up with food issues like me because my mom constantly tried to feed me and now, I don't really enjoy food or cooking very much.
So, I read a lot of Ellyn Satter, and tried to give her a little of everything and leave it at that. DD will pick up the food, sometimes, put it in her mouth and spit it right out. It can be pizza, stew, fruit, energy bars (the kid ones)....anything. She has been surviving on milk for the past two days. I give her 3 cups of milk (8-10 oz.each). In desperation, I've even cut down one cup of milk, and replaced it with water. No results.
What can I do? I feel like my child isn't getting any nutrition and here we are on day 3.

ETA: I am unclear how much a toddler (15 month) should eat? I read somewhere that it should be a tablespoon of every helping that an adult has.

mikala
04-06-2011, 11:03 PM
ETA: I am unclear how much a toddler (15 month) should eat? I read somewhere that it should be a tablespoon of every helping that an adult has.

I think the Toddler 411 book has an eating chart. They need around 1,000-1,300 calories a day at this point. Here's another one: http://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/what-and-how-much-to-feed-your-toddler

Re: the sudden shift in eating habits, are you giving her any probiotics with the antibiotics? Antibiotics also kill off the good bacteria in the gut and the resulting upset tummy can make kids even pickier. It's entirely possible she's going through a toddler phase but it's also possible she's reacting to a sad belly. My DS also reverts to liquids/yogurt when he's teething so that could also be the culprit.

There are other threads with specific probiotic brand recs.

This article also has some good tips for picky eaters:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030800.asp

If this continues you may also want to call your ped to see if they can rule out any physical issues that might cause her to refuse solids (sore throat, etc.)

Good luck!

fedoragirl
04-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks! I gave her tons of yogurt (2 cups daily) when she was on antibiotics. That's all she wants now too.

lmh2402
04-07-2011, 03:04 PM
i'm up in my office so i can't check, but i am almost 100% positive the satter book has a food chart in there with target servings by age

i feel your pain on picky/difficult eating :hug:

fedoragirl
04-07-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't own the Satter book. I found an article by her online.
I realized last night that DD is getting her premolars in. She moaned the entire night, and has not been eating for a week now. She got her first premolars a month ago and had no issues at all. This time, she is running a fever, is extremely cranky, and won't eat a bite.
She is drinking milk, sips of water, and her yogurt smoothie. Should I go back to giving her more milk since that's all she wants right now? I've tried making her other smoothies that are dairy free and she's having none of that.
How do I get any calories in her? Today is day 3 where she has had 2 bites of her hot dog. Yesterday, she had 4 cubes of apples. That's it. (other than the dairy).

mikala
04-07-2011, 11:01 PM
I don't own the Satter book. I found an article by her online.
I realized last night that DD is getting her premolars in. She moaned the entire night, and has not been eating for a week now. She got her first premolars a month ago and had no issues at all. This time, she is running a fever, is extremely cranky, and won't eat a bite.
She is drinking milk, sips of water, and her yogurt smoothie. Should I go back to giving her more milk since that's all she wants right now? I've tried making her other smoothies that are dairy free and she's having none of that.
How do I get any calories in her? Today is day 3 where she has had 2 bites of her hot dog. Yesterday, she had 4 cubes of apples. That's it. (other than the dairy).

How high is her fever? Is it possible she's teething and has a touch of something else? Does she have any signs of hand/foot/mouth or herpangina? Are you sure the antibiotics kicked whatever she was sick with before?
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082600.asp

I'd give your ped a call and see if they want to check her out before the weekend. It's still totally possible she's being a finicky toddler but the suddenness of it combined with ill symptoms could be more.

Good luck! I hope she feels better soon!

fedoragirl
04-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Thank you for pointing that out. I'll check first thing tomorrow. I'll also call the ped. I think the fever warrants that.

fedoragirl
04-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Called the ped. today. It's definitely teething. The fever is gone. No appetite whatsover. I made a non-dairy smoothie and she had that in addition to 16 oz. of milk and a yogurt smoothie.