PDA

View Full Version : At what age.....

newg
04-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Do you stop letting your LO be naked, or get naked, (completely or partially)outside/in front of people??

Last summer DD was 2/2.5 and still in a diaper.....After a day of playing outside, in the sandbox/grass/dirt/mulch I would strip her down to the diaper and hose her off before taking her inside. She loved it and many times would run around the yard afterwords...........
I'm wondering at what point do I need to stop this.....and start worrying about who is around when DD is down to her underwear, or naked....??

Raidra
04-06-2011, 10:44 PM
In front of strangers, never. In my front yard (we live on a very quiet dead-end street), full nudity stops around 3-5. As in.. I'd quickly strip and hose down a 5 year old, but let a 2 year old run around naked. In my backyard with friends/family, they stop running around naked by 4. But my 7 year old will pull down his pants to pee in the bushes, and pretty much exposes everything to everyone.

The boys can run around in just their underwear in the front yard, I don't care about that. I'll probably stop letting Fiona run around in the front yard in just her underwear by the time she's 4.

MamaMolly
04-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Lula's 4.5 and I'm not comfortable letting her run around completely nekkid, even at home if there is anyone but me, DH and her sister there. Topless? Meh. Doesn't bother me so much, but we probably wouldn't do it outside.

DietCokeLover
04-06-2011, 10:56 PM
We've never let our children be seen naked out in public. It's just not something we do.

trcy
04-07-2011, 08:15 AM
We've never let our children be seen naked out in public. It's just not something we do.
:yeahthat: DD is only 3 mo but that is my thoughts as well...too many creeps in the world.

wellyes
04-07-2011, 08:39 AM
I have ZERO problem with a baby / toddler in just a diaper outside at my home. Or even at the beach. How is that different than a swimsuit, except for being topless? Who cares if a VERY young girl is topless? For a quick diaper-only rinse - I'd probably be fine with that for my 3 year old.

egoldber
04-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Well my younger DD often strips down to her underwear in the front yard. I have nothing to do with this. I'll turn around and she's naked. The same kid who when we are inside getting dressed will scream, "Don't look at my private parts!!!!!!" Sigh.

Honestly, I don't think it's a big deal until they approach puberty. My older DD would rather die than be seen naked in public now. She even has issues with the locker room for the pool.

carolinamama
04-07-2011, 08:56 AM
I think it may naturally happen too. I also strip the kids on the back patio and hose them down in the summer if needed. Our backyard is fenced and has plantings that make it somewhat private but the people on one side of us can see in. DS1 has started getting funny about doing it on the screened in porch so they won't see him naked. DS2, on the other hand, has been known to pull his own pants down in the yard and run naked so we may have awhile yet. They don't take clothes off at all in the front yard. I know that DS2 ran around the backyard a few times last summer in just a cloth diaper especially when we had the kiddie pool out. I didn't feel like it was any different than having his swim trunks on.

lalasmama
04-07-2011, 10:16 AM
We lived in pretty dense apartment complexes when DD was younger, and I wouldn't allow it then. She needed to be in a swim diaper with something on her top. Mainly, that decision was because I can't know where every pedophile lives.

We moved into a house on shared property when she was 3. She still needed to be in a bathing suit. Our neighbors were much more relaxed, and let their 3 and 6 yo girls run around nekkid or in wet undies. This made me uncomfortable, purely because, again, you never know about who an undiscovered pedophile may be, or where they may be living.

Funny enough, we're now in a duplex. We have 7' fences, so last summer, DD asked if she could go swimming in her undies in the kiddie pool, and I okayed it. But it was in *our* backyard, hidden from the world, and she was 6yo.

doberbrat
04-07-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm ok if my 5.5 yo wants to swim naked in our pool. Its fenced in w/a 6ft privacy fence so the only people who could see would be neighbors on their 2nd floor.

Front yard, I'm ok w/being in shorts or panties only for brief periods playing in the splash pool but this will be the last year. And it only happened once or 2x last year. Inside our home, I have no problem if anyone wants to be naked (but dh definitely does).

I will say that I did object when a friend's 2.5 yo had a pl accident and she took the child's bottoms off and then thought the child could sit down to lunch at the table. I just think that dining at a table in a group setting should require some sort of undies at least. ;)

khalloc
04-07-2011, 11:07 AM
I've never let my kids run around naked outside. Not in the front of the house. I have on the back deck while using out little kiddie pool, but our deck is pretty private in the summer when the shrubs grow in. Sometimes they havent wanted to wear a bathing suit.

Topless? I dont really care. But I've still never let DD go topless out front. I wouldnt have a hissy fit about it though. We are just dressed most of the time when we go outdoors.

AnnieW625
04-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Amazingly as many times as DD1 has walked out our front door and ran down the street on the sidewalk she has never been fully naked. A few times when it's been super hot we've let her run around with just panties and a tee shirt on after we get home, but that's really rare. DD1 walks around the house naked before and after bath sometimes and usually no one besides us is home. We never did naked potty training so it's been really rare that she has spent time in our backyard without clothes on, she usually has a swim suit on.

newg
04-07-2011, 10:48 PM
thanks ladies!

DD1 is in panties now, so I think when I hose her off this summer, I'll at least keep those on.
We'd only ever be in the backyard......I agree with pp about the front yard. You never know who is driving by.......
In the house, as long as it's just family, I'm comfortable with naked.....heck, I have to remind DH to put clothes on all the time...why would my daughter be any different ;)

Glad to know I have a few more yrs. before I need to make everyone keep their clothes on!