PDA

View Full Version : favorite childhood candy/treats?

calv
04-07-2011, 10:21 AM
mine are probably kit-kats but that's just boring and they're still around. remember pop-rocks? I loved getting them from the ice cream man. Saw them the other day and got a bunch for easter baskets. Wonder if the kids will freak out over exploding candy in their mouth. LOL.

another favorite was kinder eggs. I know lots of love for those here as well.

lizzywednesday
04-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Button candy dots (the ones on the paper) and candy necklaces.

I can't stand either as an adult.

artvandalay
04-07-2011, 10:28 AM
When I was a kid, my grandmother would take me to the "newspaper store" .. I don't know why it was called that - I suppose they sold newspapers but they also sold other things as well.

They had penny candy, 5 and 10 cents candy. I remember her buying me little ice cream cone candy. The cone part was the same as a regular cone shell, but the ice cream part was some sort of fluffy spongy candy. I loved those.

We would also get - what we called - flying saucers. They were pastel colored and looked like two wafers with a hollow inside. Inside were multi colored sprinkles. They were fun to eat!

I also liked Big Leage Chew and Bit O'Honey.

I hated those paper dot candy. I would get grossed out if I got paper in my mouth!

calv
04-07-2011, 10:30 AM
yes, totally remember the paper dots, LOL!

and I too loved the mini-marshmellow like ice cream cones.

ged
04-07-2011, 10:31 AM
jollly rancher lolly sticks (kinda the size of a small ruler)
red hot toothpicks (didn't eat them, but kinda sucked/chewed on them)

more, but can't think of them right now

HIU8
04-07-2011, 10:31 AM
candy corns hands down!

Meatball Mommie
04-07-2011, 10:32 AM
I liked the button candy dots too. Also those weird wax bottles with sugar syrup in them (not sure what to call them) and get this, candy cigarettes! I can't believe they used to make them! There were actually 2 types. One was a white candy cylinder with a red tip and the other was a bubble gum cylinder with a paper wrapper that had powder in between so you could blow out smoke (!)

MelissaTC
04-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Our school had a snack bar and it was run by a cranky old lady. You bought candy individually and most things were under a quarter. I uses to get now and laters and Charleston chews. Outside of school, we used to get candy cigarettes, peanut butter cups and good n' plenty.

pinkmomagain
04-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Chocolate cigarettes
Candy cigarettes
Gum cigarettes

No I don't smoke. But in the 70s, those were pretty cool.

artvandalay
OMG I just found them! I didn't know they still sold them!

satellite wafers

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/satellite-wafers-pegbag.htm

ice cream cone

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/marshmallow-cones-2pack.htm

Thanks for the little trip down memory lane ;)

mezzona
my favorite were the carnation malt ice cream cups. I can't find them any more. and super lemon was a fad for a while.

artvandalay
04-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Gum cigarettes

No I don't smoke. But in the 70s, those were pretty cool.

Ooohhh I forgot about Candy Cigarettes! loved those! I remember the dark red Pall Mall box.

edit: not the gum kind, but the hard, white, chalky kind. I just remembered they used to sell gum cigarettes that had a red tip

calv
04-07-2011, 10:38 AM
so fun: http://www.oldtimecandy.com/candylist.htm

artvandalay
04-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Ooh Bazooka Joe gum. The gum was terrible. Hard and the flavor was gone in one minute. But it had a cartoon inside!

lizzywednesday
04-07-2011, 10:47 AM
I liked the button candy dots too. Also those weird wax bottles with sugar syrup in them (not sure what to call them) and get this, candy cigarettes! I can't believe they used to make them! There were actually 2 types. One was a white candy cylinder with a red tip and the other was a bubble gum cylinder with a paper wrapper that had powder in between so you could blow out smoke (!)

OOOH! I had these too.

The ones I remember best were in a little red plastic case.

What strikes me as hilarious is, as anti-smoking as my mom's always been, that she'd actually allowed me to have them.

goldenpig
04-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Bottle Caps! Those were the prized Halloween treat for me.
Fun Dip--I liked the white "stick" that you dip in the powder.
100 Grand
Skor
Rolo
Nerds
Mentos
Bazooka gum
Blow Pops were big--kids used to sell them on the sly at school for 25 cents.
Those giant diamond Ring Pops
Bit o Honey
Sugus--it's like an Asian Starburst but not as tart

Yes, I am still a candy fiend.

kristenk
04-07-2011, 10:56 AM
My grandmother would always have a box of Russell Stover Rosebud Mints for us when we went to visit her. I miss those and really wish that they still made them. :(

crl
04-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Pixie sticks!

Catherine

salsah
04-07-2011, 11:52 AM
i bought some pop rocks recently (only because i remember loving them as a kid and wanted my girls to try them). true to nature, dd1 was afraid to try them, dd2 loved them.

i want to get some fun dips for them too (for the same reason). maybe next time i'm at the store.

i can't remember a favorite, i loved all candy.

cvanbrunt
04-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Blow Pops, Bubble Yum, and Spree. I'm sitting at my desk and I have a bag of the little rolls of Spree open in front of me.

mackmama
04-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Smartees, charleston chew, and marathon bar. :)

Puddy73
04-07-2011, 12:29 PM

The candy store near us still sells candy cigarettes. I was a bit shocked, but I remember liking the bubble gum ones and I never had a desire to smoke the real thing.

alien_host
04-07-2011, 12:31 PM
I remember the saucer things!

The fake lipstick that was like a giant sweetart shaped like a lipstick that had a white plastic bottom and a red or pink cover.

And I totally remember those candy cigarettes...DH and I were just talking about those the other week.

Fun dip...those Jolly Rancher sticks...pop rocks...I loved all of those things!

ETA: Oh and PEZ, I loved pez, how could I forget that!

Tondi G
04-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Jolly rancher sticks for sure! Bazooka gum for the comic inside. I loved Charleston Chew.

I also loved those bubble gum cigarettes ... we recently went to an old "ghost town" on our way to Las Vegas and the candy shop there had them... my 5 year old thought it was the neatest thing to blow smoke. LOL

Oh and I introduced my boys to razzles ... anyone had that candy before? It is a small round candy that you chew up... first it's a candy and then it turns into gum. My boys thought it was neat but weird!

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/razzles.htm

Abba zabba was pretty yummy and I loved bit o honey

KHF
04-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Smartees, charleston chew, and marathon bar. :)

I LOVED the Marathon bar! It was awesome!

soon2b4
04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Loved KitKats as a kid - not so much now.
We loved the candy cigarettes, big league chew, jolly rancher stix and garbage pail kids cards - not so much for the gum, but the cards... I also remember Star Wars cards.
Pop Rocks were the big hit during our drive to Wisconsin when I was little.
Wasn't there another fizzing candy around that time???
Oh, but I never liked Peeps, Pez, or the candy dots on the paper... still don't :bouncy:

dec756
04-07-2011, 01:21 PM
oatmeal cream pies, yum!

alien_host
04-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Oh and I introduced my boys to razzles ... anyone had that candy before? It is a small round candy that you chew up... first it's a candy and then it turns into gum. My boys thought it was neat but weird!

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/razzles.htm

DH bought DD Razzles at the overpriced candy store. I think they disintegrate too much to really make a good gum. She enjoyed it though.

pinkmomagain
04-07-2011, 01:34 PM
I also remember Star Wars cards.

I still have some Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Mork & Mindy cards (yes, I'm that old).

alien_host
04-07-2011, 01:40 PM
garbage pail kids cards - not so much for the gum, but the cards... I also remember Star Wars cards.

OMG, I totally remember the garbage pail kids cards and getting them at Woolworths! Wow that does date me.

calv
04-07-2011, 02:12 PM
OMG, I totally remember the garbage pail kids cards and getting them at Woolworths! Wow that does date me.

OMG, I so loved and had every garbage pail kids card along w/ALL the NKOTB cards. LOL, wonder if mom still has them.

jgenie
04-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Big Hunk, jolly rancher sticks, juju fruit.

JTsMom
04-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Do you guys remember these?
http://www.oldtimecandy.com/wax-bottles-10pack.htm

I don't think you could pay me to eat one of those today!

zoestargrove
04-07-2011, 03:57 PM
I looked forward to those ice cream cone candys every year in my easter basket (along with russell stover chocolates and a popcorn ball) I found the the icecream cones a few years ago to put in my son's basket and they were DISGUSTING - totally stale tasting.

Whenever I ate a jolly rancher stick I would break off a piece and suck on it long enough so that it would get thin and I could push it up to the roof of my mouth and pretend I had a retainer.

Roleysmom
04-07-2011, 06:17 PM
This thread is cracking me up and making me shiver at the same time!

I loved:
Marathon bars - probably the only one of my childhood candy loves I'd still eat as an adult. I still remember the commercials.

Clark bars - my Mom liked them and always had one in her purse, so I think that's why I liked them.

Like others, I did love those weird ice cream cone candies. I can't believe I ever ate them.

Candy cigarettes - can still remember what they tasted like. Loved them.

Ring pops.

Lik-m-aid. I'm surprised I don't have stomach cancer given how much of that stuff I ate. Yum, chemicals.

I do remember the Gargabe Pail Kids cards but can't remember the candy at all.

Anyone remember Zotz? I hated those but me and my friends would buy a bunch and put them in our mouths and let them fiz and then spit them out on the way home from the drug store to make a trail. (Yikes.)

Swedish fish and the thick red coins. They were penny candy. I do still love these.

cindys
04-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Loved ZOTZ, Lollies, Charms Sweet and Sour Pops, Jolly Rancher Stix(except cinammon)and Bottle Caps.

Anything sour I love still...

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 5 & 2 :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

ilfaith
04-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Wasn't there another fizzing candy around that time???

Are you thinking of Space Dust?
http://www.childofthe1980s.com/2008/01/14/space-dust-popping-candy/

My favorite candy as a kid was the Whatchamacallit. Haven't had one in years, although they are still available. And as far as novelty candies, loved Ring Pops, candy cigarettes, Fun Dip.

About 10 years ago, one of my vendors showed up at my office with a package of "childhood favorite" candies. I sat at my desk eating Fun Dip with that white candy stick. People came by office and I walked around and spoke with colleagues. Later I went to the bathroom and discovered that my whole mouth was purple.

jiggaman
04-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Great thread, so many memories.

Pop rocks were awesome, we'd try to see how many packets we could eat at once.

Spree was awesome as well, liked them more than sweetarts but I don't see Spree around anymore (but I don't really look at the candy aisle)

I remember lemonheads and redhots and jawbreakers. But my favorite was atomic fireballs. They were pretty hot.

Do they still make gobstoppers, I think I chipped a tooth on one once. They had different colors at each level.

Just remembered Skor bars. They're like heath bars but thinner... and better.

melissaflorida
04-07-2011, 07:45 PM
jollly rancher lolly sticks (kinda the size of a small ruler)
red hot toothpicks (didn't eat them, but kinda sucked/chewed on them)

more, but can't think of them right now

Ditto and I love ice cubes the chocolate squares!

~Melissa

veronica
04-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Individual pieces of Bazooka for a penny

Razzles (start as candy and turn to gum):
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ilE%2BYGFRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

big league chew (original)

Bubble tape (original)

Gum cigars (pink, yellow and green)

Those pink candies the color of pepto bismol that were sort of pepperminty ( I used to pretend they were medicine for my dolls)
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/candywarehouse_2153_1352284395 (http://javascript<b></b>:popView();)

Wax bottles with liquid candy inside.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/candywarehouse_2153_1455087935 (http://javascript<b></b>:popView();)

bnme
04-07-2011, 08:44 PM
charleston chew
sugar daddy pops
peppermint patty
and I loved the ring dings and twinkies when I got them for snack at a friends. My mom refused to buy them. My favorite cookies were these chocolate sandwiches shaped like flowers with a fudgey creme filling. I haven't seen them in years. Plus something that was like a lorna doone but with cinnamon.