PDA

View Full Version : Lying and ADHD

HIU8
04-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Ok, need some help here. DS is 6. He has the combo type ADHD and SPD is a part of it (sensory seeking AND sensory avoiding). One of the things we do (along with the OT) is let him chew gum. He uses it to stimulate himself and to calm himself down. Lately though, DS has been lying to me, telling me that he threw the gum out when done with it. I found about 15 chewed pieces stuck to the back of his carseat. I found a wad under our easy chair as well. Guidance on how to handle this? I ended up taking the gum pack away this morning telling him no more gum until further notice after he lied again about where he put it when done. Is lying normal 6 yr old behavior? How do I help DS b/c he uses it for regulation and get him to actually throw it away and stop lying to me about where he put it?

JTsMom
04-07-2011, 02:08 PM
I would just police the heck out of it for a few weeks. Maybe only let him chew it in your presence, then watch him throw it out, or only have in throw it in one specific place or something so that you can monitor it.

I can't really comment on how typical lying is at this age, but I can tell you that Jason does a lot of the same thing. I think in his mind, he did throw it away/put away his toothbrush/clean up/whatever I ask him to do b/c he intended to do that thing, kwim? He forgets the fact that he started to do that, but then got distracted.

DH is the same way, and he's 46. :ROTFLMAO:

MamaKath
04-08-2011, 12:35 AM
I would offer an alternative temporarily, require him to clean the places he stuck the gum and then try again but watch closely and offer a disposal place (keep snack bags or tissues on you). Each time he properly disposes it earns his next piece.