PDA

View Full Version : Cost Saving Strategy for Disney Cruise Booking?

sste
04-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Is it better to book right when the cruises are announced and the most cost-effective cabins are available? Or to book when there is a special?

Also, does anyone have a travel agent for disney cruises that they highly rec? I don't want to use small world because I find the email back and forth irritating - - I need someone I can reach by phone!

infomama
04-07-2011, 01:27 PM
We booked the Dream when it became available. I wanted options when it came to our cabin and I knew the longer I waited the more likely we would be stuck under a dance club or completely out of luck. I went to my TA as I trust her and I know she books Disney all the time....kind of lucked out there. I don't know how often they run cruise specials. I doubt there will be any for the Dream for a while but perhaps HallsofVA will chime in as she is an experienced Disney cruiser.
However...as my TA says...there is nothing cheap about a Disney Cruise.

Tondi G
04-08-2011, 01:28 AM
I would book early.... if there is a price drop for some reason, you should be able to get your price adjusted (usually as long as it is before your final payment). The earlier you book the more choices you will have as far as cabin location goes... you want mid ship (less motion) and you want to be sandwiched between decks of cabins .... not under the restaurants or the pool deck or theaters etc. Can be noisy ... people dragging deck chairs around etc. I highly recommend Cruisecritic to get info on cruising, Disney or otherwise. Have a wonderful trip!

HallsofVA
04-08-2011, 11:25 PM
I'd recommend booking as soon as you find a cruise, room and rate that you are interested in. Availability definitely goes down as you get closer to the date, and prices generally go up. We booked our Dream cruise on opening morning in Nov 2009, and our category had sold out by mid-morning. Bookings opened up yesterday for Gold and Platinum cruisers, and today for everyone else, and Disney's 1st ever cruise to Hawaii sailing 4/29/12 sold out before 2pm today.

At to travel agents, I've booked directly with Disney, AAA, Dreams Unlimited, Mouse Ear Vacations (aka cruisingco.com) and Travel On A Dream. After booking a couple of trips on my own, I use a travel agent for the convenience of having someone do the legwork for me, and for the onboard credits, gift cards and other treats they provide. (I was glad it was my agent sitting on the phone with DCL for 4 hours yesterday and not me!)

Tracy Whipple at Travel on a Dream ([email protected]) has all of my current Disney bookings (5 cruises and a Disney vacation!) and I recommend her. Pam Schuck at Mouse Ear Vacations is my 2nd recommendation, and the folks at All Seas Travel also get good feedback.