PDA

View Full Version : Pet insurance

boilermakermom
04-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Has anyone ever had insurance on their pet? How did it work and would you do it again? Do you think it was a cost savings?

BabyMine
04-07-2011, 02:34 PM
We jus purchased Esurance for both our dogs. I love it becasue they cover homeopathic and non conventional procedures. I haven't used it yet but becasue we have big dogs who are prone to arthritis and cancer we wanted a backup.

AnnieW625
04-07-2011, 02:35 PM
We don't have it on our dog. If we ever get a puppy very young we'll most likely look into it because the rates will be cheaper (I assume).

BabyH
04-07-2011, 02:50 PM
We have VPI on both of our dogs. Premiums are about $40/month, but they pay out at 90%. To save even more, I give them their shots, all but rabies, when they are due and just take the proof to our vet. I have had several HIGH vet bills (including one dog hospitalized for a few days) and they pay it all, no questions asked. I've had to resubmit invoices before, but I am so happy with their customer service. And when I call, they always ask about my dogs by name. Very cute.

lmh2402
04-07-2011, 04:10 PM
we had vpi for our dog for the last 4.5 years. but canceled it just this year b/c it didn't track to be worth the spend.

we were paying way more in insurance than we were paying for vet bills.

and for the times that he did go in, we weren't being reimbursed all that much.

at the end of the day we decided that we knew/know that if we ever needed to pay a big expense, we just would do it. having or not having insurance wouldn't alter our decision. so we were better served not spending that money. let it sit in a bank account and pathetic interest and we would be better off.

of course, this is just our experience and what we decided to do.

maestramommy
04-07-2011, 04:12 PM
We have VPI on both of our dogs. Premiums are about $40/month, but they pay out at 90%. To save even more, I give them their shots, all but rabies, when they are due and just take the proof to our vet. I have had several HIGH vet bills (including one dog hospitalized for a few days) and they pay it all, no questions asked. I've had to resubmit invoices before, but I am so happy with their customer service. And when I call, they always ask about my dogs by name. Very cute.

I saw your post, and wanted to know, how do you give your dogs shots yourself? Do you buy them online?

I'm debating whether to get pet insurance or go with Banfield for a few years and see how it pans out. My last dog had Banfield and it worked out great.

AnnieW625
04-07-2011, 04:29 PM
I saw your post, and wanted to know, how do you give your dogs shots yourself? Do you buy them online?

I'm debating whether to get pet insurance or go with Banfield for a few years and see how it pans out. My last dog had Banfield and it worked out great.

I was wondering the same thing. I am a needle phob., but DH could probably do it without any issue.

mackmama
04-07-2011, 05:22 PM
I have pet insurance, and it has been very worth it. I've been surprised at how easy claims are to submit and how timely I get reimbursed.