PDA

View Full Version : What juicer do you have?

cilantromapuche
04-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I want to eat healthier and incorporate green juice and carrot juices into our diet. What juicer to get? I hate to get another appliance but alas---there is always one more that I need!

TIA,
c

firemama
04-07-2011, 07:48 PM
We used to have the Jack LaLanne juicer (yes, the as seen on tv one) and it was great! DH got rid of it because we have limited space in our kitchen. I miss it all the time. We are hopefully getting veggies from our local CSA this summer, so it would be nice to have it for that too, oh well. If you think you will use it enough, go for it. I just googled juicer and there are several different kinds, ranging from $69 to $314. Maybe you could make sure there is a money back guarantee if you don't like it.

I'll share our lemonade recipe: 6 golden delicious apples, skin on, quartered and cored, and a quarter of a lemon, rind too. Juice these together and it is seriously the best lemonade I have EVER had!

wellyes
04-07-2011, 08:16 PM
I recommend green smoothies (made with a blender) instead of a juicer. I borrowed a juicer and did not like how the instant sugar kick made me feel. I mean sugar from stuff like carrots. Using a blender means the fruit/veggie fiber is retained which is healthier.

MamaKath
04-07-2011, 10:57 PM
I recommend green smoothies (made with a blender) instead of a juicer. I borrowed a juicer and did not like how the instant sugar kick made me feel. I mean sugar from stuff like carrots. Using a blender means the fruit/veggie fiber is retained which is healthier.

Got rid of my juicer awhile back. Got a vitamix instead. Love it!!! Smoothies that are much healthier because of the fiber and pulp, soups that are quick and easy, even desserts like frozen yogurt. Juicer always left a lot of waste behind and could only made juice.

lmh2402
04-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Got rid of my juicer awhile back. Got a vitamix instead. Love it!!! Smoothies that are much healthier because of the fiber and pulp, soups that are quick and easy, even desserts like frozen yogurt. Juicer always left a lot of waste behind and could only made juice.

is this along the lines of the magic bullet?

i was thinking of getting a juicer, but i would far prefer to retain the fiber and pulp

all suggestions are welcome!

ijopint
04-09-2011, 10:47 PM
I owned an Omega juicer http://www.omegajuicers.com/juicers/masticating-juicers/juicer-8004.html and a Vitamix (bought at Costco). In my household we use the Omega for leafy vegetables/apples/carrots while Vitamix is use with smoothies, crushing ice or blending different fruits. I personally like my carrots and apples to be juiced than blended b/c the taste is smoother wherein grapes,blueberries/papayas or bananas is better blended in a Vitamix IMO.
Both product carries good warranty period. although the price range for both is $$$ it will be a good investment considering this will utilize to achieve a healthier lifestyle.

elbenn
04-09-2011, 10:59 PM
I have a Breville juicer. It works great. However, I kind of want a blender to make smoothies because it would be nice to incorporate the fiber into the drink.

wellyes
04-10-2011, 10:01 AM
My Waring Pro blender is powerful enough to make simple green smoothies - spinach/kale plus fresh and frozen fruit. If you want to be able to incorporate stuff like carrots or whole apples (with skin and core), you'll need something like a VitaMix or Blendtec $$$ blender.

Tondi G
04-10-2011, 08:16 PM
we love our vitamix!

lmh2402
04-10-2011, 08:56 PM
thanks, all

which vitamix do you guys have? are you happy with it, or would you wish you had a step-up/more powerful one?

thanks!

Jenn27
04-11-2011, 07:52 AM
We were given a Champion juicer by DHs aunt when she got a Vitamix. It's a beast and we've only used it a few times. I wouldn't have spent the $300 for it, but we gladly took it for free!