PDA

View Full Version : Ever feel like your house is too small? Check out this.

wimama
04-07-2011, 08:58 PM
This woman is living in a 90 square foot studio.

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/simple-life-in-manhattan-a-90-square-foot-home-2472666/

infomama
04-07-2011, 09:06 PM
I think it's cool..living so simply and being so content with that.

wimama
04-07-2011, 09:10 PM
I like the idea of simple living too. Don't know I could handle sleeping in such a claustrophobic space though.

infomama
04-07-2011, 09:14 PM
I like the concept and I love to read and learn about living more simply but I agree...the tree house like bed would not be good with me. I'm really bad with heights and small spaces.

Do New Yorkers really keep clothes in their ovens ;)...I can't imagine...$3700 a month for rent and eating out/eating take out. That's unimaginable to me.

mommylamb
04-07-2011, 09:29 PM
DH's immediate comment was "how do you have sex in that bed?"

wimama
04-07-2011, 09:39 PM

That thought crossed my mind as well.:ROTFLMAO:

I lived in Chicago while I was in school, in a 550 square food studio. It was quite comfortable and I often reminisce on just how simple living in that studio was. It was lovely and so easy to clean. And I had no clutter.:love-retry:
Can't say the same thing about our home now.;)

jerseygirl07067
04-07-2011, 09:49 PM
I like the concept and I love to read and learn about living more simply but I agree...the tree house like bed would not be good with me. I'm really bad with heights and small spaces.

Do New Yorkers really keep clothes in their ovens ;)...I can't imagine...$3700 a month for rent and eating out/eating take out. That's unimaginable to me.

I thought she said her rent was $700 a month? Very cheap for NYC for sure! But still, eating out all the time is waaay expensive!

KrisM
04-07-2011, 10:19 PM
I thought she said her rent was $700 a month? Very cheap for NYC for sure! But still, eating out all the time is waaay expensive!

It said other apartments in that area are $3700/month and she mentioned keeping clothes in the oven :).

♥ms.pacman♥
04-07-2011, 10:34 PM

lol!!!:rotflmao:

GoBlue
04-07-2011, 10:39 PM
DH says that that isn't an apartment, it's a $hitty $25/night hotel room. Honestly.....I've stayed in youth hostels that were roomier and more welcoming than that.

hellokitty
04-07-2011, 10:53 PM
We had dorm rooms about that size (singles, so no roommate), basically a closet with a window. The entire time I watched the video, I just kept thinking that she is basically living like a college student (esp the loft bed part), which is fine and I admire her simple lifestyle. However, I think it's something short term. For a single person, I think it is doable, but I wonder for how long. In my 20's, I probably would have been content living in that sort of situation.

MontrealMum
04-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Lving in a big city is definitely different than living in a mid-size or small town. Although that's even smaller than my first appt. here in Montreal! I think my 1st place was probably 200 sq. feet and the bed was on the floor, not lofted - haven't seen that since college! It was a 1 1/2, so one room, with a bathroom. I had similar door closing issues with the bathroom - you had to stand in the shower if you wanted to fully close the door. I only had two burners, no oven, and a half-fridge. It certainly made for creative cooking and I had to store my clothes in the "kitchen" area. But it sure was nice in the winter with a less than 5 min walk to work and my dept. Mind you, I was 22 then and I doubt I could do that now, but our present home, while average for where we live, would be considered miniscule by many here. But we also have parks for yards, amazing museums and libraries, amazing entertainment and restaurants and great public transit - so it's a trade-off, living in a big city.

MMMommy
04-08-2011, 12:25 AM
It looks cozy and neat, actually. The one thing that would bother me would be sleeping so close to the ceiling. I would probably bump my head way too many times on that ceiling when sitting up accidentally. I would also feel claustrophobic sleeping up there. But other than that, it looks cozy and comfortable. Her sitting area looks comfy too.

mezzona
04-08-2011, 12:25 AM

:hysterical: ditto that. shared the link w/ dh and he called me over and asked the EXACT same question.

essnce629
04-08-2011, 04:03 AM
If it had a tiny kitchen I'd feel much better about it-- like a small sink and 2 burner stove. In college I had a studio but it was a pretty nice size-- around 400 sq feet I think. I had a full size kitchen with a eating bar. I had a twin size futon as my couch and I also had a full size loft bed from Ikea with a full length desk built in underneath. I think my ceilings were taller than average though since I could sit up fully in bed and read/do homework. I loved my loft bed and my little studio. I had a pretty nice sized bathroom too with a very big shower and built in shower seat. I met DBF when I was living in that studio, and yes we were able to DTD in the loft bed!!!! I had this cool little dining room table from Ikea that fit two people and was attached to the wall and could be folded down and out of the way if needed. Ahh, the memories!

KrisM
04-08-2011, 08:01 AM
We had dorm rooms about that size (singles, so no roommate), basically a closet with a window. The entire time I watched the video, I just kept thinking that she is basically living like a college student (esp the loft bed part), which is fine and I admire her simple lifestyle. However, I think it's something short term. For a single person, I think it is doable, but I wonder for how long. In my 20's, I probably would have been content living in that sort of situation.

Me, too. And, I did bump my head a few times, but quickly learned not to sit up on the bed!

The thing that would bug me is having to stand on a chair with wheels to get stuff down from the shelf. I kept waiting for her to fall. I know I would!

lhafer
04-08-2011, 08:27 AM

:yeahthat: :hysterical:

Yeah, that place just would NOT do it for me!! Couldn't handle it. And I'm sorry, but how the he!! can you legally rent a space as an apartment when it doesn't even have a kitchen/kitchenette??

She says she's a professional organizer...but her place didn't look organized at all to me. Just because you have a lot of stuff in bins, doesn't make you organized.

She's got nothing on this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg9qnWg9kak

marie
04-08-2011, 08:56 AM

I have a (single) DF who lives in Manhattan and has two funny oven stories:
- After living in her place a year (a year!), the gas company called her to make sure she was okay because she never incurred any usage charges on her gas bill (her stove is her only gas appliance).
-A friend of hers came over and started to cook dinner for her. He turned on the oven to preheat it and a little while later, smelled something burning. He opened her oven door and her cookbooks were smoldering. So yes, NY'ers use their ovens for storage. :hysterical:

She is ruthless with her belongings. If she doesn't use it, it goes. Her wardrobe has necessities and if she buys something new, something goes. I don't buy her much in the way of gifts but when I do, I'm very careful about how it could/will be stored. :)

momm
04-08-2011, 09:34 AM
she doesn't have kids, does she?

wimama
04-08-2011, 09:35 AM
:yeahthat: :hysterical:

Yeah, that place just would NOT do it for me!! Couldn't handle it. And I'm sorry, but how the he!! can you legally rent a space as an apartment when it doesn't even have a kitchen/kitchenette??

She says she's a professional organizer...but her place didn't look organized at all to me. Just because you have a lot of stuff in bins, doesn't make you organized.

She's got nothing on this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg9qnWg9kak

I think 200 square feet would be much more livable. You could put a bed behind that storage unit. Or something. I just couldn't handle that bed.

If it had a tiny kitchen I'd feel much better about it-- like a small sink and 2 burner stove. In college I had a studio but it was a pretty nice size-- around 400 sq feet I think. I had a full size kitchen with a eating bar. I had a twin size futon as my couch and I also had a full size loft bed from Ikea with a full length desk built in underneath. I think my ceilings were taller than average though since I could sit up fully in bed and read/do homework. I loved my loft bed and my little studio. I had a pretty nice sized bathroom too with a very big shower and built in shower seat. I met DBF when I was living in that studio, and yes we were able to DTD in the loft bed!!!! I had this cool little dining room table from Ikea that fit two people and was attached to the wall and could be folded down and out of the way if needed. Ahh, the memories!

I thought my old studio was smaller than it was. I looked up my old apartment building apparently it was 550 square feet. They must have included closet and bathroom space in those figures, because the usable space was much smaller. I had the space very carefully planned out. I had a full size bed, a love seat, kitchen table which also functioned as my desk, a book shelf, a rolling TV stand (I had to pull it out to watch TV), my desk for my computer was squeezed in against a closet and tucked the kitchen counter and I had my nightstand. The night stand functioned as a nightstand by my bed, a end table for the couch and my dresser. The kitchen was functional, but I couldn't bake cookies on a cookie sheet, I couldn't find a cookie sheet small enough to fit into the oven. I used every inch of that space and it didn't feel cramped.

WolfpackMom
04-08-2011, 09:42 AM
This looks just like one of my BFF's old apartments in Manhattan. Amazing location but half the size of my college dorm room! Me and 2 friends went to visit her so it was the 4 of us squished in that little room for a weekend. :)

Binkandabee
04-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Makes me glad to live in a city where you can easily own a very nice home for $700.00 per month!

Clarity
04-08-2011, 12:29 PM

That was my first thought too. LOL

hellokitty
04-08-2011, 01:02 PM
The thing that would bug me is having to stand on a chair with wheels to get stuff down from the shelf. I kept waiting for her to fall. I know I would!

Lol, I was always waiting for her to fall off of that chair. It reminds me of one of my kids' books where there are a bazillion safety rules and the #1 rule was don't stand up on a chair with wheels, lol.

Oh and the link to the youtube video of the hong kong apt. That is ingenius! I think the murphy bed seems more desirable than a loft bed. Anyway, I loved that his design was not only efficient and functional, but also attractive. It reminded me of Bruce Willis' apt in, "The Fifth Element," but not as gross.

BabbyO
04-08-2011, 01:17 PM

The same way you did in college! (or on the floor) :)

I had a very similar loft in college. If I rolled onto my side I had 5" between my shoulder and the ceiling.

AnnieW625
04-08-2011, 01:20 PM
When DH first moved to the Bay Area in early 2001 he was looking at places that were basically converted from hotel rooms to apartments so between 300 and 400 sq. feet and they wanted around $1500 a month for it too. It was sickening. He chose to move further out and at least got a 650 to 700 sq. ft. one bedroom place for $1100.