PDA

View Full Version : Colds and toddlers?

BabbyO
04-08-2011, 10:10 AM
DS has a nasty cold including a clear runny nose. He's not been sleeping well because he's stuffed up...and although he usually blows his nose pretty well, he's refusing now because it is SO raw. He also has a fairly persistent cough. (Not croup or anything concerning, yet).

Between the two, he's not sleeping well.

Any recommendations to help these symptoms in a 21-mo old?

I've tried honey to soothe the throat/address the cough, but it hasn't worked. Not sure if cough medicine is appropriate for under 2.

We've also put a small pillow under one side of his mattress so he's proped up a bit at night and, again this seems to help a bit at night...

TIA!

drwg21
04-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Have you tried the Little Noses Saline Drops - that helps clear them out quickly....

BabbyO
04-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Have you tried the Little Noses Saline Drops - that helps clear them out quickly....

Oh, forgot to mention...we've done this too.

He's got the same thing I get when I have a cold. Clear runny nose and probably not technically "Stuffed up" since its just a constant stream of clear mucus. I believe that my doc told me the "stuffed" feeling I experience is due to irritated nasal passages that are somewhat constricted, but not full of mucus. Does that make sense?

Anyway, it seems like he's got the same thing going on.

LMPC
04-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Are you using a humidifier for naps and at night? That really helps around here. Also, when DD has a runny nose like that, I make a point to carry aquaphor around with me in addition to tissues. Every time I wipe her nose, I rub some aquaphor on...it really helps to keep her face from getting chapped.

wendibird22
04-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Aquaphor for the nose several times a day.
Humidifier
Saline spray very frequently. Our pulminologist said to use it far more often than we think we should and suggested squirting it in the nose with enough gusto to help get the gunk going down the back of the nasal passage and into the throat instead of having it just all run back out the nose.

BabbyO
04-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

Any suggestions for the cough?

Indianamom2
04-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Our pedi recommends an antihistamine (like Benadryl, which is great at night!) or Zyrtec to help dry up that constantly running nose. The cough may be coming from drainage, so if you dry that up, the cough may stop too.

fedoragirl
04-08-2011, 02:13 PM
DD had this two weeks ago. I didn't medicate and did all of the above. It ended up in an ear infection and we had to get antibiotics. I would look into seasonal allergies. I wish I had given DD Zyrtec when they told me to but I just didn't want to medicate for a simple cold and cough.

Indianamom2
04-08-2011, 02:18 PM
DD had this two weeks ago. I didn't medicate and did all of the above. It ended up in an ear infection and we had to get antibiotics. I would look into seasonal allergies. I wish I had given DD Zyrtec when they told me to but I just didn't want to medicate for a simple cold and cough.

:yeahthat: I agree...we went through this with DD and I wish I had known.

PunkyBoo
04-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Agree with Aquaphor on the nose, as well as saline nasal spray. You might want to splurge on those boogie wipes - they are much more gentle on the raw little noses so that might help with the blowing. Also, I have found that the old tried-and-true method of Vicks Vapor Rub helps a TON at naps and nighttime. I use the non-greasy cream and I rub a tiny bit of it on his back and his chest, and it really helps the breathing when sleeping. I would NOT try any cough medicine - the cough is prob just post-nasal drip so getting the runny nose to stop should help the couch clear up.