PDA

View Full Version : How long is too long if you have long hair and are over 30?

arivecchi
04-08-2011, 11:01 AM
I was discussing this with a friend yesterday. We have a co-worker who is over 50 and has hair down to her but*. We are not fans of the look.

How long is too long for your taste?

kijip
04-08-2011, 11:08 AM
So long as it is not on my head, I don't have an opinion with a hard and fast age limit. I know a number of people with that look who look great at all ages but then others where I personally don't think it is flattering at all ages.

mommylamb
04-08-2011, 11:13 AM
For myself, I wouldn't want super long hair at this point in my life. Mine comes just above my shoulders, and I feel like I look too young and unprofessional for my work life if it gets much longer than that. But, other people look very professional with long hair (if it's nicely styled). My hair is really curly and when it gets too long, I look very 80s heavy metal chick.

Corie
04-08-2011, 11:30 AM
I am just-turned 40 years old and my hair goes down to my
bra strap in back. I also have some chunky layers throughout
my hair and some shorter layers around my face.

I think I look HOT! :D

wellyes
04-08-2011, 11:37 AM
I think long hair tends to look ratty at any age unless it's really well-groomed and shiny. And I can't ever think of hair THAT long that looks good.

But someone like - I dunno - Sandra Bullock? She's late 40s with long hair and it looks really good on her.

Melaine
04-08-2011, 11:38 AM
I think down to the butt is too long on any person of any age.

Katigre
04-08-2011, 11:48 AM
IMO certain types of people can pull off long hair at any age and make it look beautiful, just like certain types can pull off short hair and look great in it (and others look bad).

maestramommy
04-08-2011, 11:49 AM
I think it depends more on the hair, not the age. Some women have the most beautiful locks, I don't care if they are 90, and it hangs all the way down. I'm jealous:tongue5: I believe our own Elliput is a prime example:love-retry:

My hair tends to get a little shaggy when long, now that I'm older. And it really collects in the shower, so after a while I get sick of it and chop it all off.

ThreeofUs
04-08-2011, 11:50 AM
ITA with the "it's a personal thing". Some women look fantastic with long hair at 80; some people look tired with long hair at 30.

arivecchi
04-08-2011, 11:54 AM
My own hair hits my shoulders and I always cut it once it gets past that stage. Like mommylamb, I just don't look as professional with longer hair and I cannot deal with the upkeep to be honest.

I think my personal preference is the bra strap at most as Corie mentioned.

I was just curious as to what most people thought about the subject.

twowhat?
04-08-2011, 11:58 AM
One of the pediatricians that ours uses as a back-up has hair down to the back of her thighs. I kinda get grossed out whenever I think about it - because how do you really keep that much hair CLEAN?

elliput
04-08-2011, 12:02 PM
I think it depends more on the hair, not the age. Some women have the most beautiful locks, I don't care if they are 90, and it hangs all the way down. I'm jealous:tongue5: I believe our own Elliput is a prime example:love-retry:
:loveeyes:

In my 30's, my hair was past my butt- the ends were actually hitting the backs of my thighs. I am lucky to be blessed with pretty awesome hair, and I should mention that I did get it cut much shorter for me last year to shoulder blade level and layered.

I know some won't quite understand this (especially if you are the type to change hair styles/color frequently), but for some people their identity and self worth can be wrapped up in their hair. It is a "trademark" so to speak, and the though of getting it cut or colored can be really overwhelming emotionally.

arivecchi
04-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Elliput, do you prefer it shorter or do you miss your old long hair?

liamsmom
04-08-2011, 12:06 PM
I think it depends more on the hair, not the age.

:yeahthat: The women I know with long, yet gray, hair have awesome hair. I think that might be one of the reasons why they keep it long--it's hard to let go of one of your best features. But I've seen it pulled back in a French braid and it looks stunning.

I've seen it go the other way too--young women who are dwarfed by their long hair.

I tend to wear mine shoulder length. I've had it both long and super short, but I'm happiest in the middle.

SnuggleBuggles
04-08-2011, 12:08 PM
An inch or 2 longer than my shoulders, maybe.

eta- duh! I misread the question. That's how long my hair is. :) I'm ok with longer on any age. Totally depends on style.

Beth

sariana
04-08-2011, 12:14 PM
I don't have any "age rule" in mind regarding length of hair.

I do want to mention that there may be religious or cultural reasons for keeping hair long.

I do know some employers have rules that hair past the shoulders must be tied back in some way (and I don't mean food workers, who have their own rules and standards). I think that is a reasonable expectation.

BillK
04-08-2011, 12:17 PM
My wife's gonna be 42 and I'd like to see about 4-5" more on her hair which is down to her shoulders now. I'm not a fan of much below shoulder blade area myself.

She's still pretty smokin' hot at almost 42 so she can pull off the long hair look - even though she doesn't believe me. ;)

Love long hair...

DrSally
04-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Mine a little past my shoulders, maybe to my shoulder blades? In the summer, I tend to get it cut right to the shoulders. It grows so fast, is very healthy (never colored), and shiney. This year, I put layers in, and I think it lightens it up and makes it look more modern. IME, if I go shorter than my shoulders, it really "bushes" out. I need the weight for it to lay nicely.

DrSally
04-08-2011, 12:21 PM
:loveeyes:

I know some won't quite understand this (especially if you are the type to change hair styles/color frequently), but for some people their identity and self worth can be wrapped up in their hair. It is a "trademark" so to speak, and the though of getting it cut or colored can be really overwhelming emotionally.

Seen it many times on WNTW.

Laurel
04-08-2011, 12:32 PM
I am mid-30s. My hair is a few inches past my bra strap and I will unashamedly say it looks fantastic on me. When I need to look more polished I wear it up.

I agree that it is more about the hair type/style than age. Some women can get away with long hair forever, others not so much.

BabyMine
04-08-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm 34 and my hair length is mid back. I usually wear it in a ponytail or a bun but I love wearing it down. I'm lucky that it is thick, straight and beautiful. I'm probably going to cut it soon to donate to Locks of Love.

bisous
04-08-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm 35 with hair to my mid-back. I love my long hair!! The shortest I've ever gone was shoulder length and while it was fun for awhile I was over the moon when it started to grow!

I think at this point it is kind of my identity. My hair isn't perfect at all but it is long and blonde and has a lot of natural body. I still look young (I think!) so I don't feel like my hair distracts from my image at all!

bubbaray
04-08-2011, 12:48 PM
If your hair is long enough that you have to hold it out of the toilet when you sit down, it is too long. Regardless of your age or gender.

hellokitty
04-08-2011, 01:07 PM
I think the problem is that a lot of ppl who have super long hair, have yucky looking ends, so it's not even attractive looking, since the hair doesn't look healthy. I think that if you can grow hair that long, that looks shiny and has great volume, go ahead. The thing is, I have very rarely ever seen ppl that were able to pull that off.

In our area, the only ppl past the age of a teen, who grow their hair that long are Apostolic (sp). And they also have to wear dresses and skirts too. I guess I always associate long hair like that with ppl of the Apostolic faith.

MMMommy
04-08-2011, 01:08 PM
I think hair down to the butt is not attractive, regardless if the hair is healthy, shiny and lustrous. I was never a fan of the "Crystal Gayle" school of hair, and that is what I think of when I see butt length hair. I think mid chest is as long as it should go for a young, hot starlet. Anything older, I think a little below the shoulders is good in terms of max length.

That is just my personal preference, so no offense to those who love long locks!

TwinFoxes
04-08-2011, 01:15 PM
I've known a couple of people IRL who had hair past their butts, and it was really scraggly looking. But they were totally wrapped up in it (ha!) I could understand if it looked healthy, but having that much unhealthy looking hair was just really unattractive. I especially never understood why they didn't at least get their ends trimmed so it was shaped, and not that weird broken off in places look.

I had never thought about the whole toilet aspect before. Thanks a lot Bubbaray. ;)

bcafe
04-08-2011, 01:30 PM
I am old--let's just say my eldest is turning 22 today. My hair is mid-back too. I have had everything from a pixie to the current look of long hair. My problem now is that it gets hard to comb through when it is wet, and I find long hair everywhere! I should post a pic to get opinions.

wellyes
04-08-2011, 01:40 PM
This thread is making me think of watching Crystal Gayle on TV when I was a little girl
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41V1754TNWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

bubbaray
04-08-2011, 01:42 PM
I had never thought about the whole toilet aspect before. Thanks a lot Bubbaray. ;)

Happy to provide that little visual. The thought has always made me a little sick.

TxCat
04-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I am mid-30s. My hair is a few inches past my bra strap and I will unashamedly say it looks fantastic on me. When I need to look more polished I wear it up.

I agree that it is more about the hair type/style than age. Some women can get away with long hair forever, others not so much.

:yeahthat:

My hair kind of drives me crazy at times because it's very thick and heavy, but I get compliments on it daily when people see it down (I usually wear it up in a bun for work). Because my hair has a lot of natural body to it, I sort of fear what it might look like short (anything above the shoulders) - I think it might be really poofy and frizzy. The length now seems to help weigh it down.

If I need to look super polished, I usually flat iron it so it's very straight and smooth.

When I was little (ie, 4-7), my mom HATED cutting my hair because she loved it so much, so I often had hair down to my waist, or just past. I thought that was too long at the time, and when I look at pictures of it now, still think it was too long. Mid-back seems to be my happy place.

Indianamom2
04-08-2011, 01:56 PM

I have no idea why, but I just never pictured you with long hair. I guess I always pictured you with a cute short, spunky sort of haircut.

Funny how that happens!

As for me, I agree with mid-back as the cut-off (no pun intended) for the length of hair. After that, it almost always (of course there are a few exceptions) looks straggly.

I'm 32 and have had everything except a pixie cut. I think I can pull them all off, but I think I look best with my hair a bit below my shoulders. In general, I have straight, fine-but-tons-of-it kind of hair. I love the versatility of having long hair...I can pull it up when I'm in a hurry or exercising or mowing the lawn....I can look really polished when going to a fancy soirree and I can look sleek with a quick flat iron.

arivecchi
04-08-2011, 02:45 PM
OK, I gotta admit I am super curious about those with long hair here. Anyone care to post a pic?

Globetrotter
04-08-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't believe it should be age-related, as long as it looks good.

My hair would be in the ratty category if it was down to my butt. It's down to my bra strap, and that is a flattering length for me, so I will keep that as long as it continues to work!

I have seen some women with beautiful, long silver hair who look great with that look. They have clearly been blessed with good hair genes!

mackmama
04-08-2011, 03:06 PM
I don't think there is an age limit to one's hair length. I actually get sad when I hear people say that they now need to cut their hair since they are a certain age. I think the only determining factor on hair length should be whether it looks good on the individual. For those who take the time to style their long hair, I think it can look great at any age on many people. I don't know many people who can pull off hair down to the waist though.

Corie
04-08-2011, 03:53 PM
If your hair is long enough that you have to hold it out of the toilet when you sit down, it is too long. Regardless of your age or gender.

Hysterical! I'm picturing you crammed into a Nordstrom bathroom with
like 10 shopping bags and your 2 girls all while trying to hold your
locks of love out of the toilet.

Corie
04-08-2011, 03:57 PM
I have no idea why, but I just never pictured you with long hair. I guess I always pictured you with a cute short, spunky sort of haircut.

Funny how that happens!

I've had hair like that too!

pinkmomagain
04-08-2011, 03:57 PM
my hair

This is my hair. I do feel like it's a little too long, but the place I get my haircut is out of the way and so I only end up going 3-4 times a year. Also, I love a smart-looking bob (just above shoulder) but my hair is wavy and frizzy and the length helps to weigh it down better than a shorter (more stylish haircut).

niccig
04-08-2011, 03:59 PM

This is me. I look better with longer hair - hairdresser convinced me to go past shoulders as the weight pulls it very straight. I normally have it between shoulders and bra stap, but I haven't had time to go in and get it cut, so it's brastrap now. It grows very fast, so I could get it much longer if I wanted to...but I'll cut it in next month or two.

Globetrotter
04-08-2011, 04:03 PM
I look TERRIBLE with very short hair. I think that is harder to pull off than long hair, any day, and it only loooks good if you have good features. My hair IS my decent feature, when it's behaving :)

boolady
04-08-2011, 04:33 PM
My hair right now is the longest it's ever been in my life-- it's about two or three inches past my shoulders, with a few long layers and sideswept bangs. I think I look better with it long right now as I've gained a bunch of weight and it helps balance things (read me) out. It's the same reason I won't carry a tiny little purse right now...I don't need to emphasize how not little and tiny I am. I also have very fine hair, so when it's short it looks too wispy. ETA: Yes, I'm over 30.

elbenn
04-08-2011, 04:41 PM
I also think it depends on the style and how well it is maintained. I love Julianne Moore's hair. It is just gorgeous. I'm not a fan of the Crystal Gayle hairstyle.

Kitten007
04-08-2011, 04:54 PM

Whenever I see long hair down to someone's rump, I always wondered about that. Like bubbaray, I get really grossed out.

Right now my hair is way too long. It's a little past mid-back only because I haven't cut it for a long time. I am 32 (going to be 33) with very fine straight hair. I can't stand that my hair looks so limp and boring right now. I normally have it 1 inch above shoulders to 2 inches below my shoulders with lots of layers for body and some side swept bangs.

I look really bad right now (I always have it up in a ponytail, very sexy I know). Gotta go get my long awaited haircut, before baby #3 is born or I can kiss it goodbye and be a toilet hair dunker.

MontrealMum
04-08-2011, 05:27 PM
I don't think that it has anything to do with age. It has much more to do with what condition it's in, and how well the woman dresses to go with her hairstyle. It also has to do with personality, I think. I've seen lots of young women with totally ratty long hair, or hair that just hangs there, and then there are women like Julianne Moore who look amazing with longer hair.

I usually keep my hair between shoulder length and brastrap length, it's at the long end of that right now, although I've had it both short and waist length (both when younger). I'll never go short again. It's unflattering on me because of my face shape, and I don't want to ever have to spend time blowdrying and/or straightening my hair, which would be necessary for a short cut to look good on me. That's just not my lifestyle! I love being able to throw my hair into a ponytail or an updo/bun in under a minute and be ready to go.

sunnyside
04-08-2011, 05:30 PM
My hair is super thick with big corkscrew curls. I can't wear it short, it's just too thick. I have it down to my bra strap. I had it short for years and it seemed like it would be easier, but I've had it long for about 5 years and it is much much nicer now.

eh613c
04-08-2011, 11:40 PM
I think down to the butt is too long on any person of any age.

:yeahthat:

mommy111
04-09-2011, 11:25 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with age....here in China I've met a number of older ladies who have hair well past their butts which are elaborately styled into beautiful chignons and updos. And they probably think anyone over 30 who doesn't let their hair grow out and take the time to then style it is probably uber lazy....you're allowed to be lazy about your appearance here in your youth, but after 30, you're supposed to care. And hair is your crowning glory, these ladies would tell you. And I bet you wouldn't dare mention toilet bowl infront of these women :D

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-09-2011, 12:32 PM
I was discussing this with a friend yesterday. We have a co-worker who is over 50 and has hair down to her but*. We are not fans of the look.

How long is too long for your taste?

I am so jealous you work with Crystal Gayle, loved her when I was a kid! :ROTFLMAO:

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/50738900.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A14140306A852527FF0AC2F989B3445D73C 502F713C2A81AE3AB01E70F2B3269972

HIU8
04-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Not a fan of the super long straggly hair down to someone's rear end. I never thought it looked good at all. I've know several people with hair like that. My own hair looks horribe long (used to look my better). As an adult it has been about an inch or two past my shoulders (I desperately wanted to have long hair). It was much curlier then and the longer it got the frizzier it got. I look much better with hair about bob length and no longer and I find it easier to care for.

scriptkitten
04-09-2011, 09:01 PM
It's not an age thing.

Hair past the butt has a sister wife vibe, in my opinion... No offense to the sister-wives :)

I like my own hair in various lengths but always past my shoulders.