PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Nova Scotia area!

LMPC
04-08-2011, 12:17 PM
DH and I are trying to decide on a summer holiday destination. I would pick Italy every year, but he wants to go somewhere different....whatever! We were thinking about the east coast of Canada. Anyone live there? Anyone been there? I was looking at pictures of the villages along the coast and it looks just beautiful. I would welcome any BTDT! Or for that matter...any other suggestions on where DH, DD, and I might vacation. We typically like a mix of outdoorsy stuff and more formal culture (read: museums). Here's what has been kicked around...

CA tour.... Yosemite, Big Sur
Germany
Swiss Alps (although I'm not sure we'd get to appreciate too much hiking with 2.5 yo DD)
Western coast of CA

Help!

mikeys_mom
04-08-2011, 12:30 PM
I've only got a minute while my girls are eating lunch but I wanted to quickly reply that I travelled there twice with friends before I was married. The Maritime provinces are beautiful and there is tons to do. DH and I are considering a trip with the kids there for next summer. I prefered New Brunswick and PEI to Nova Scotia. The weather was nicer. However, we only really did the Cabot Trail which is in the northern part, so I don't know if Halifax is better. A friend of mine is from there, so I can ask her.

PEI is really nice and quaint. If you are into Anne of Green Gables, you will certainly get your fill. Summerside has really nice beaches and is very kid friendly. If you want to do and see stuff, through there isn't a ton in PEI. New Brunswick has lots of interesting stuff but IIRC it is kind of spread-out so a road-trip style vacation works better.

How long are you thinking of going and are you looking to move around while you are there or base yourself in one area?

I will try and think of some specifics we did and post more later.

HTH.

lilycat88
04-08-2011, 01:53 PM
We did Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia about 6 years ago. We did mostly hiking, though. It was AMAZING and I cant to go back for a more relaxing trip.

Bryan mom
04-08-2011, 06:52 PM
We did a cruise from NYC to Halifax and New Brunswick a few years ago. DS was 3 years old then. In Halifax, we toured the Citadel and the Public Gardens. We went in mid June. Still a bit cool then, but nice. Recommend going there in July and August to cool off the summer heat.

LMPC
04-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the posts! I think this is definitely an area that is worth seriously considering! I am off to the library tomorrow to get some travel books on the area!