PDA

View Full Version : Yoga as strengh training- is it enough?

LarsMal
04-08-2011, 06:24 PM
We've had our gym membership for 10 months now and I'm still going pretty regularly (minus bad winter weather and illnesses). The class schedule keeps changing and I can't get to some of the classes I like (like body pump) and I am not good about working out on my own.

I've mostly been doing spin and yoga. On a good week I hit three yoga classes (2 power and 1 level 2). I spin once a week and try to run/walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes before my yoga classes. I'm trying to fit a second spin class in.

I think I'm getting enough cardio in, but is yoga enough "strength training"? I don't know if it fits the definition.

infomama
04-08-2011, 07:47 PM
If you are doing power vinyasa classes or bikram....100% yes.

I can't being to tell you the amazing things power vinyasa yoga has done for my body. Get into plank, boat, warrior (any pose really) and stay...stay...stay. The shaking, the burning..it's fantastic...it's strength training. I walk out of every power class I do with a head to toe workout. Isometrics tone and strengthen.

I have never been stronger or felt better...mind AND body.

I love yoga. Love.

LarsMal
04-08-2011, 08:59 PM
I haven't done Bikram, but I do power vinyasa. The instructor is always saying " lengthen...strengthen" and another instructor says yoga and pilates are all you need. I figured she's just biased, but then she also pointed out that yoga/pilates give you longer and leaner muscles vs the shorter muscles of lifting.

I :heartbeat: yoga, and I feel great after doing it. I just wasn't sure if it really counted. I guess as long as I stick with the more challenging classes it does. Thanks!

wellyes
04-08-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't know. I thought so - and I've been doing yoga since high school, so, early 90s. But I have to tell you, a few months of Body Pump 2-3 times a week has made a huge difference for me. It has transformed my yoga practice, for one thing. I see it most in poses like warrior series and utkatasana. All those body pump squats and lunges; now I get deeper, stay longer, have better form. I've really come to believe that dedicated strength training is critical to fitness, or at least, it is for me.

LarsMal
04-08-2011, 09:48 PM
I don't know. I thought so - and I've been doing yoga since high school, so, early 90s. But I have to tell you, a few months of Body Pump 2-3 times a week has made a huge difference for me. It has transformed my yoga practice, for one thing. I see it most in poses like warrior series and utkatasana. All those body pump squats and lunges; now I get deeper, stay longer, have better form. I've really come to believe that dedicated strength training is critical to fitness, or at least, it is for me.

I definitely noticed a difference with body pump, too. I just can't get there right now- they are either too early or too late for my crew. I should be able to fit one in once school ends.

Here's another question, though...body pump instructors say 2-3 times/week for results. Yoga instructor says 2-3 times/week. What is the right balance (no pun intended)? I need to get my cardio in, too. That's an awful lot of time!

SnuggleBuggles
04-08-2011, 09:54 PM
I've been debating experimenting with weight training almost exclusively and see how my body does. I'd mostly do it a la Body Pump since I don't have very heavy weights at home and I know the BP routines. I think strength training like Body Pump/ Group Power has a cardio element to it. Not as good as other things but not totally useless on that front. My plan was to do a good run (5+ miles) on a weekend day then strength during the week. I haven't done it yet because I got into running more and have been doing mostly that. When I was in really good shape my main exercise was Body Pump though.

Sorry for that unhelpful ramble. :) eta- can you compare your heart rate with the workouts? Maybe you aren't too far off regardless of the workout?

Beth

wellyes
04-08-2011, 10:09 PM
I do:
body pump 2x per week
yoga 2x per week
spin 1x per week

There are cardio elements to yoga (vinyasas) and body pump. Spin is, I'll admit, my least favorite.

Oh - here is an article I found about strength training that I found interesting: Everything You Know About Fitness is a Lie (http://www.mensjournal.com/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie) It is from Men's Health mag but I think what he says applies to everyone. Basically it's an argument for body weight / free weight strength training, with some detailed info towards the end about what's really effective.

egoldber
04-09-2011, 07:32 AM
I think that yoga can get you there, but it will take a lot longer and at some point you do max out using just your own body weight (which is what yoga does). I know that for *me* being strong and having more muscle translates into feeling much better overall.

Wellyes, that article was really interesting. Starting to use free weights vs. other fitness activities was really transforming to me!

LarsMal
04-09-2011, 10:54 AM
I think that yoga can get you there, but it will take a lot longer and at some point you do max out using just your own body weight (which is what yoga does). I know that for *me* being strong and having more muscle translates into feeling much better overall.

Wellyes, that article was really interesting. Starting to use free weights vs. other fitness activities was really transforming to me!

That's a good point, and it's probaby true across the board. I guess that's why varying workout routines is so important. I'll still keep the yoga going, but try to work body pump back in to the routine.

I agree being strong and having more muscle feels great. I don't want to look like a body builder, but I don't think I could anyway. I don't have that type of build. I just want to look lean and toned.

wellyes
04-09-2011, 12:08 PM
I agree being strong and having more muscle feels great. I don't want to look like a body builder, but I don't think I could anyway. I don't have that type of build. I just want to look lean and toned.I don't think you could get body builder muscles at Body Pump no matter how hard you tried. Think of it this way.... weight training either focuses on:
- strength: Very heavy weight, very low number of reps. Power lifters who sometimes look tubby but can bench press hundreds of pounds
- size: body builders who aim to increase muscle mass while getting rid of as much body fat as possible. These guys aren't anywhere near as strong as the power lifters.
- endurance: Many reps at relatively low weight. This is body pump. It preps the body for long-term exertion. Think rowers, cross country skiiers, distance swimmers, marathon runners.

LarsMal
05-06-2011, 08:19 PM
I just had to report back on this thread because I answered my own question the other day! I finally made it back to body pump and for the next couple days parts of me hurt that haven't hurt in a while. While I love yoga and will continue to do it 3 times/week, I definitely need to add body pump back into my routine!