PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to take 13 month old to story time for 18mos to 3yr?

Pinky
04-08-2011, 10:03 PM
My local library has free story time for kids 0-18 months only once per month... however they have story time for 18mo-3y twice per week. It seems like we almost always miss the once per month story time because of some sort of commitment that we can't reschedule (doctor's appt etc).

Do you think it's ok to take a small 13 month old (not quite walking yet) to something like this or is that frowned upon by the other moms? What if I kept her in my lap, would that make it acceptable?

I probably wouldn't actually take her because I am a rule follower (LOL) but I was just curious what you ladies thought.

(eta: just realized I hit 1000 posts. Love this board!)

JBaxter
04-08-2011, 10:05 PM
I wouldnt but I follow rules like that.

SnuggleBuggles
04-08-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm a rule follower too but I wouldn't worry much about that rule. You can try and see if it is a good fit. If your dd is too distracting then maybe stick with the age group she should be in. But, otherwise, the age thing is probably more because the 18-36mo would get more out of the program.

Beth

♥ms.pacman♥
04-08-2011, 10:11 PM
hmm, i don't see the harm in it. i see your frustration, i always wanted to bring my DS to storytime at our library but the one for his age group was always during his naptime so we never went.

hellokitty
04-08-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't think they will care if you go. However, don't be surprised if you get annoyed that the other children are all over the place during storytime. Storytime for the 18 mo - 3 yr old set is really crazy, very few kids will actually sit for it, most are wandering around or getting into things. So, if you have a non-walker, it may seem really overwhelming from your POV.

Pinky
04-08-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm a rule follower too but I wouldn't worry much about that rule. You can try and see if it is a good fit. If your dd is too distracting then maybe stick with the age group she should be in. But, otherwise, the age thing is probably more because the 18-36mo would get more out of the program.

Beth
That is sort of what I was thinking... My other consideration was that since she is small (looks younger than she is and would be wobbly) that other parents would worry their bigger kids were going to hurt her. This is more than just story time... we sing, play circle games, read etc.

ohsara430
04-08-2011, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't until DC is walking so it doesn't seem like you are out of place but, I don't think it would really matter if you went either. I doubt anyone would say anything. Do you know how many people normally show up for it?

Our library only doesn't story time for 2y.o. and up, I find it kind of annoying.

blondflava
04-08-2011, 10:22 PM
I'd go and see what it looks like. The gap between 18 month old and a 3 year old is vast, while 13 months is not that far off from 18 months, some 18 month olds might be wobbly walkers as well... Depends on the group, you mind find most kids to be age 18-24 months, my DD is turning 2 and she's closer in development to 18 month old than a 3 year old ;)

MamaMolly
04-08-2011, 10:34 PM
I don't think they will care if you go. However, don't be surprised if you get annoyed that the other children are all over the place during storytime. Storytime for the 18 mo - 3 yr old set is really crazy, very few kids will actually sit for it, most are wandering around or getting into things. So, if you have a non-walker, it may seem really overwhelming from your POV.

:yeahthat: exactly what I wanted to say. But I think it is worth a try.

ETA: for the record, I was a total rule follower with Lula but not so much with Dolly ;).

wellyes
04-08-2011, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't. Our story time for that age is all about singing and participation (each kid gets a sticker to put on a board, or a puppet, or something along those lines). Have it be something you look forward to, not something you gate-crash.

But if it was a case where the 13 month old was a younger sib going with a 2 year old: no prob. Bring them both if the alternative is bringing neither.

Green_Tea
04-08-2011, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't. Our story time for that age is all about singing and participation (each kid gets a sticker to put on a board, or a puppet, or something along those lines). Have it be something you look forward to, not something you gate-crash.

But if it was a case where the 13 month old was a younger sib going with a 2 year old: no prob. Bring them both if the alternative is bringing neither.

:yeahthat:

At our library story time is so popular and well attended that you need to register for it ahead of time AND you need to be willing to show proof of residency. When my kids were toddlers I would call the minute the lines opened on the day of registrations because it filled up that quickly. But not all story times are quite like that :). I'd scope it out and plan accordingly.

Smillow
04-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Can you hang out near the space at the starting time to see how flexible the age limits are? It would stink to start going @18 months only to find out that you could have started going sooner. Our library has storytime 4 days a week for 0 to 2 year olds, 2X a week for 2&3 year olds. At 25 months, we are going to both (not daily). The group leaders are fine with it.

Pear
04-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Our library makes a point of mentioning at every storytime that if you have kids of multiple ages you should bring them to the session for the youngest child. They really seem to discourage bringing younger kids to the older groups.

TwinFoxes
04-08-2011, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't, just because I don't think DDs or I would get anything out of it when they were that age. I would have hated to have my DDs around crazy almost 3 year olds when they were that young (I say that as the mother of crazy almost 3 year olds ;) )

eh613c
04-08-2011, 11:21 PM
I think you should try and see if your DC likes it. Stay if he/she likes it and if not then maybe when he's a little older. Also, check your local Pottery Barn Kids store; they have story time every week. No age limit.

MommyAllison
04-08-2011, 11:41 PM
I would definitely go and not think twice about it - but our librarians at storytime always make it clear that the age "limit" is just a suggestion, and families should feel free to come to whichever they choose. We don't have an infant storytime, just toddler (under 3) and preschool (3-5). DS has been tagging along to the preschool group since he was a baby, and there are always several babies and lots of toddlers in the preschool storytime (mostly younger siblings, but not always).

If you are unsure, can you stop by the library at a non-storytime time and ask the children's librarian?

Jo..
04-08-2011, 11:42 PM
No. Only if they were a tagalong to a sibling in the proper age group.

SnuggleBuggles
04-08-2011, 11:42 PM
I was just thinking that you should ask the librarian next time you are there and explain. See what they have to say. :) I bet that plenty of people with more than 1 kid wind up bringing a kid that isn't the right age to these things quite often.

Beth

ett
04-08-2011, 11:54 PM
I was just thinking that you should ask the librarian next time you are there and explain. See what they have to say. :) I bet that plenty of people with more than 1 kid wind up bringing a kid that isn't the right age to these things quite often.

Beth

:yeahthat: You're getting a wide range of answers here as I think it's quite dependent on how each library runs storytime.

C99
04-09-2011, 01:09 AM
I wouldn't. At my library, they'll ask you to leave if your child isn't in the range for the story time.

MSWR0319
04-09-2011, 09:37 AM
I think it depends on how comfortable you are with her being around other kids and what you expect from her. We have a class at the library that is all moving to music. They use ribbon, bells, etc and are all over the place. There's actually no age on it. There a lady who brings her 12 month old and she doesn't get it. She gets knocked over all the time, BUT she's super tiny! She's still wearing 6-9mo clothes. I don't mind her being there, it's good for DS 2.5 to learn how to be careful. What bothers me the most is that the mother expects the little girl to do everything the bigs kids do and pushes her too far. It wouldn't bother me if she brought your 13 mo old to an 18mo class.

crl
04-09-2011, 09:58 AM

Beth

Catherine

ABO Mama
04-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Wow, it seems to vary alot from library to library! At our local library, it would be no big deal.

PMJ
04-09-2011, 02:07 PM

Beth

I think more of these are guidelines. Try it once and see. Some kids develop differently than others, and your DC might get something out of it. I beht you NO moms or LIbrarian is going to turn you down from exposing your kid to this... You're doing a great thing! Can you ask the LIbrary why the 0- 18 month ones are only 1 time a month?