PDA

View Full Version : Budget deal reached! No shutdown!

TwinFoxes
04-08-2011, 11:22 PM
According to CNN and The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/reid-says-impasse-based-on-abortion-funding-boehner-denies-it/2011/04/08/AFO40U1C_story.html?hpid=z1)

crl
04-08-2011, 11:31 PM
That is good news! I was getting worried about people not getting paid.

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
04-08-2011, 11:43 PM
I was about to check CNN. Thanks for saving me the trip. :)

Beth

KpbS
04-08-2011, 11:52 PM
DH is bummed. One of his employees was going to come into the office for the shutdown since her DS would be at home. :tongue5:

niccig
04-08-2011, 11:54 PM
This is tongue in cheek -

I've been wondering if there really was a dispute or if it went like this.

Boehner says to Reid and Obama: I have to have the Planned Parenthood rider for my team. I know you won't agree to it, but I have to appear to be fighting for it, but I'll drop it at last minute.

Reid and Obama to Boehner: Our side only wants 20 billion in cuts and not more. We know you wont' agree to that, but we have to appear to be fighting for it, we'll agree to 39 billion at the last minute.

And then the spend the rest of the meeting, chatting and having a cup of coffee. Meanwhile the rest of DC and the press run around madly in circles.

LarsMal
04-09-2011, 12:37 AM

Boehner says to Reid and Obama: I have to have the Planned Parenthood rider for my team. I know you won't agree to it, but I have to appear to be fighting for it, but I'll drop it at last minute.

Reid and Obama to Boehner: Our side only wants 20 billion in cuts and not more. We know you wont' agree to that, but we have to appear to be fighting for it, we'll agree to 39 billion at the last minute.

And then the spend the rest of the meeting, chatting and having a cup of coffee. Meanwhile the rest of DC and the press run around madly in circles.

Except they weren't just chatting. They were watching CNN, MSNBC, and Fox- laughing at the talking heads...and probably playing drinking games. "He said 'shutdown' again- DRINK!" ;)

At least everyone gets to work and get paid...at least for one more week!

bisous
04-09-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm so happy everyone will be paid! I've been worried!

citymama
04-09-2011, 01:13 AM
Thank goodness. I was in DC during the 1996 shutdown and it wasn't pretty. This would have been a mighty costly pi$$ing match. I was appalled it got to this point. I sure hope they didn't throw PP and cancer screenings under the bus.

infomama
04-09-2011, 08:09 AM
This is the best news!! We can go and apply for our passports and no delay on our refund!!!!
:yay::bighand::boogie::bouncy::cheerleader1:

sunshine873
04-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Except they weren't just chatting. They were watching CNN, MSNBC, and Fox- laughing at the talking heads...and probably playing drinking games. "He said 'shutdown' again- DRINK!" ;)

At least everyone gets to work and get paid...at least for one more week!

:rotflmao:

egoldber
04-09-2011, 08:25 AM
A good thing, but seriously, the amount of money and time that has been wasted is a shame. They should be embarrassed. All of them. A huge number of people have been working hard this week to plan for the "shutdown". And the fallout from whatever deal they made is also going to take time to sort through as well. I hope they don't do this with the next budget, because really this whole year has been incredibly disruptive.

Fairy
04-09-2011, 09:41 AM

This is great!

squimp
04-09-2011, 11:48 AM
A good thing, but seriously, the amount of money and time that has been wasted is a shame. They should be embarrassed. All of them. A huge number of people have been working hard this week to plan for the "shutdown". And the fallout from whatever deal they made is also going to take time to sort through as well. I hope they don't do this with the next budget, because really this whole year has been incredibly disruptive.

Yep. So much wasted time and stress.

brgnmom
04-09-2011, 12:02 PM
great news - thank you for the update!

kijip
04-09-2011, 03:09 PM
It was all theater. I am pissed they wasted this much time on it. Seriously. Coming to a budget agreement 1/2 way through the year is flat out ridiculous.

vonfirmath
04-09-2011, 06:38 PM
It was all theater. I am pissed they wasted this much time on it. Seriously. Coming to a budget agreement 1/2 way through the year is flat out ridiculous.

Agreed. Especially when its supposed to be in place by October of the previous year.

babystuffbuff
04-09-2011, 07:23 PM

I was just saying to DH last night that I bet Boehner and Reid were sitting around eating sandwiches and having a chat while everyone was running around like crazy, and occasionally saying to each other, "Do you think it seems like we've been fighting long enough, or should we let it go a little longer?" I like the drinking game idea, too. :)