PDA

View Full Version : soccer season starts today and its 27 degrees out! what to wear?

jess_g
04-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Ok so soccer season starts this morning. My son is supper excited because 2 of his friends are on his team this year. I had laid everything out that I thought he would wear, but its 27 degrees out right now. Should I layer him more? And with what? He was going to wear a sweat shirt, long sleeve shirt, and a sweatshirt and then his uniform shirt ontop of that. Anything else he should wear? I was hoping it would be warmer out and it might warm up some by then, but not a lot. We have a lot of mornings with ice on the car windows recently and the game starts at 9 am. Any suggestions on how to add an extra layer?

Jessica.

oneplustwo
04-09-2011, 07:09 AM
We're in the same boat (I'm in NE also). I'd give him a fleece jacket to wear when he's on the sidelines, a pair of thin gloves and a knit hat. That's what the kids around here wear at the beginning of spring season and the end of fall season for soccer (fall season goes into November and it can get chilly!)

Also, a lot of kids wear Under Armour type long johns under their uniform shorts on really chilly days.

jess_g
04-09-2011, 07:53 AM
thanks, I forgot about the gloves. I hope we have a pair of knit ones.

Jessica

tmahanes
04-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Under armour cold gear pants and top..... kind of expensive but works well!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

artvandalay
04-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Our boys had soccer practice recently and it was freezing.

Long underwear (top and bottoms), Long sleeve shirt for my 6 year old, sweatshirt for 4 year old, lined pants, their lighter weight jackets, hats and gloves. Crazy.

Today is their first soccer game, and it's supposed to be close to 70, which is really unsusual for us for this time of year, but I'll take it.

Key is to layer. They can always take off clothes but if they're cold they will be miserable. My 6 year old is always a hot kid...but my 4 year old is like me, he gets cold easily. My 6 year old took his gloves off halfway during practice but my 4 year old left everything on.

kbud
04-09-2011, 08:48 AM
LOL It's our 2nd game here today and we have the opposite problem....It's going to be 90 today! I'm worried how we will survive the games in 6 weeks. I just had to laugh at the complete opposite weather! We are in FL.

Beth24
04-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Under armour cold gear pants and top..... kind of expensive but works well!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

The cold gear tops are the way to go...we use those for skiing, sports practices and other outdoor activities on cooler days.

bubbaray
04-09-2011, 11:25 AM
I would just take a fleece/gloves/hat for the sidelines, but once he's warm, the layers you mentioned might be too many.

Dollar store gloves are good for sports.

lhafer
04-09-2011, 12:29 PM
LOL It's our 2nd game here today and we have the opposite problem....It's going to be 90 today! I'm worried how we will survive the games in 6 weeks. I just had to laugh at the complete opposite weather! We are in FL.

:yeahthat: 85 for the high here today, but the humidity is WAY up there. It's like walking out into a sauna.

I would much rather have to wear layers to stay warm. It's a lot harder to stay cool!

kbud
04-09-2011, 02:44 PM
:yeahthat: 85 for the high here today, but the humidity is WAY up there. It's like walking out into a sauna.

I would much rather have to wear layers to stay warm. It's a lot harder to stay cool!

It's very humid here today too! We did survive thanks to a tent and a battery operated fan. The poor team though, they only had 5 players so they had to play the whole game. They were some sweaty little kids.

But we are whimps, no one in FL would play soccer in 20 degree weather! We were all cold when my dd was cheering at a 50 degree football game. The girls said they were "freezing" and complained more that day than the hot soccer game this morning! I'm raising cold weather whimps down here! But I'm not complaining!

Tondi G
04-09-2011, 03:24 PM
It's very humid here today too! We did survive thanks to a tent and a battery operated fan. The poor team though, they only had 5 players so they had to play the whole game. They were some sweaty little kids.

But we are whimps, no one in FL would play soccer in 20 degree weather! We were all cold when my dd was cheering at a 50 degree football game. The girls said they were "freezing" and complained more that day than the hot soccer game this morning! I'm raising cold weather whimps down here! But I'm not complaining!

the hot weather and having to slather on sunscreen is one reason my kids haven't played baseball or soccer yet. DS1 does Tae Kwon Do and I love that it's indoors and rain or shine, hot or cold outside he can participate and mom isn't melting or freezing on the side lines! :) I'm sure I'll have to get over it, at some point they will want to participate in some team sports outdoors!

kbud
04-09-2011, 11:31 PM
the hot weather and having to slather on sunscreen is one reason my kids haven't played baseball or soccer yet. DS1 does Tae Kwon Do and I love that it's indoors and rain or shine, hot or cold outside he can participate and mom isn't melting or freezing on the side lines! :) I'm sure I'll have to get over it, at some point they will want to participate in some team sports outdoors!

I get that. This is our first out-door sport we've done (cheerleading was only about 3 outside games and then basketball). But I figured it wasn't fair...so we lathered up today and since we are in FL put on the bug spray and had a great time! Of course we all showered and bathed when we got our sweaty, stinky selves home!