PDA

View Full Version : Safe/healthy twin mattress?? Help!

maydaymommy
04-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Have to go mattress shopping with my MIL tomorrow and I have no idea what I need to avoid and what I need to look for in a mattress to keep it safe for ds1.

Do you have any recs of natural lines of mainstream mattress companies? Can I get something like this at a Sleepy's or Mattress Giant type of place? Are the "natural" mattresses they would carry a scam?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Just need to know what to look for and what to avoid.

Thanks!

vludmilla
04-09-2011, 11:05 AM
I would be wary of "natural" mattresses at a place like Sleepy's but not for any good reason other than that I expect "greenwashing" these days. We bought DD a natural latex mattress (dunlop and talalay latex) that is covered in organic cotton and wool. I like that there are no chemicals and it is naturally dust mite resistant. It was about $700 or so at IKEA.

daisymommy
04-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Do you have an IKEA near you? That is your best bet for a non-toxic, inexpensive mattress. If you don't have one, let us know so we can give other options.

Happy Shopping!

bubbaray
04-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Do you have an IKEA near you? That is your best bet for a non-toxic, inexpensive mattress.

:yeahthat:

maydaymommy
04-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Have ikea right nearby! Didn't even think of it! My guest bed & mattress is from there.

Are there multiple to choose from or is a certain one best for a kid's twin bed?

Thanks! I was staying away from ikea since I couldn't find a bed there that I liked for ds1.

vludmilla
04-09-2011, 04:40 PM
They have lots of twin mattresses but only one is natural latex and wool/cotton (actually it is 85% natural latex) all the other mattresses are foam latex which is just not as natural. I think it is called the Erfsjord mattress but if you look at the descriptions, it is the only one that is 85% natural latex.

Tondi G
04-10-2011, 03:53 PM
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60109592

California
04-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Got me curious now... Here in California mattresses have to have flame retardent toxic chemicals in them by law. There are organic non-toxic ones that cost a bunch and require a doctor's note. I thought other states had the same laws. IKEA, from what I've heard from friends who care about this stuff, doses their mattresses with the least amount of chemicals. (And sells the same mattresses in other countries, including Canada, without the chemicals at all.) The mattress mentioned is described as having a flame retardant inner liner. I'm not sure what that means.

Do other states not have this law? Can you mattresses w/out the toxic chemicals? Like I said, we can get them here but it's NOT cheap.

daisymommy
04-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Mattress have to meet flame retardant standards (not burn for so many minutes, when x number of inches next to a flame, and when they are ignited, must take x length of time to fully go up in flames).

There are multiple ways these standards can be met--chemicals (wether natural or not) and wool. IKEA uses boric acid (aka. Borax), which you don't want to eat or breathe straight into your lungs, but is not so toxic (like cancer causers, hormone disruptors, PBDE's etc. that most big name companies use). It is applied all over the inside of the mattress, but not sprayed on the outside where your child can breathe it in.

Our kids have this one:
(will link in a second, baby crying ;)).