PDA

View Full Version : 4 yr old party venues again--more questions

HIU8
04-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Has anyone ever done a puppet show at their house, or someone who comes and does something interactive with music? also, has anyone ever done pony rides? I've been looking at different party venues in my area and these are some that come up a lot. Also, what about renting some type of inflatable (combo type with jumping and sliding etc..) and just letting the kids run around and play for an hour?

hillview
04-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Last year I did a drumming party and a guy brought a HUGE African drum for every child and it was AWESOME. I also did a face painter so kids could do that too. It was very fun.
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
04-09-2011, 09:01 PM
I've been to a puppet show at someone's house, a magician and a story teller. The storyteller was the most engaging of all, even across a pretty good age span. I librarian could recommend one.

I wouldn't do a pony-some kids might be afraid and there could be a lot of lag time between pony rides. A good venue will keep the kids entertained during that time but I'd want to be sure w/ that age range.

Bounce house at home would be fun. I always have a slight liability worry with those though.

Our favorite party location is a local gymnastics' studio.

Beth

HIU8
04-09-2011, 09:16 PM
The gymnastic studio places here are so overdone. I think the past year each of my kids have gone to at least 6 parties each at a gym place and a bounce place etc.... I'm attempting to keep costs lower. I found a lady who comes and does interactive music with the kids. I am going to be calling her references.

HIU8
04-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Anyone done a petting zoo party at home? There is a local guy who does it (has about 15 different party venues). He was at DS's friends bday with about 7 animals to pet. He also did pony rides at our Purim carnival at shul in March. He is reasonable and so far I've liked what I've experienced. He would, of course, be outside with the animals. Do you think 4 yr olds would be into bunnies, ducklings, gecko's, hamsters, turtles, piggies, miniature goats etc..? The way he does it is that 6 kids at a time come into the animal space he creates and sit on little stools. They are given a carpet like covering for their laps and they can then hold each animal (or sit next to it and pet it).

bubbaray
04-09-2011, 11:51 PM
I did a puppet show/ magician for DD#1s 3rd b-day, she was great.

SnuggleBuggles
04-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Ok, I have to say it. Do you really, really need any sort of paid entertainment? I have never hired anyone other than the 2 gymnastics' parties. We do at home parties and using websites like Family Fun and Birthday Party Ideas plus books from the library (and the parents here!!) I have put on some really, really fun parties. I'd be happy to help you come up with ideas if you are game for trying something like that.

Beth

bubbaray
04-10-2011, 12:14 AM
Ok, I have to say it. Do you really, really need any sort of paid entertainment? I have never hired anyone other than the 2 gymnastics' parties. We do at home parties and using websites like Family Fun and Birthday Party Ideas plus books from the library (and the parents here!!) I have put on some really, really fun parties.

I think it really depends on the dynamic/norm in your geographic area. We haven't been to an "at home" party in years (and the last one we hosted was the magician). Virtually everyone does parties at gymnastics places, activity places, etc. That is the norm in our area. The most "unusual" party we've attended was a (very cute) tea party for girls at a local tea house.

happymom
04-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Anyone done a petting zoo party at home? There is a local guy who does it (has about 15 different party venues). He was at DS's friends bday with about 7 animals to pet. He also did pony rides at our Purim carnival at shul in March. He is reasonable and so far I've liked what I've experienced. He would, of course, be outside with the animals. Do you think 4 yr olds would be into bunnies, ducklings, gecko's, hamsters, turtles, piggies, miniature goats etc..? The way he does it is that 6 kids at a time come into the animal space he creates and sit on little stools. They are given a carpet like covering for their laps and they can then hold each animal (or sit next to it and pet it).

I teach 4 year olds and we have a petting zoo come to our school every year. Most of the kids really love it. I would say most kids just pet the animals, a few are brave enough to actually hold them, and one or two every year are scared and want me to hold them :) I think it sounds like fun, but truthfully the interactive musical show sounds like your safest bet.

SnuggleBuggles
04-10-2011, 09:15 AM
I think it really depends on the dynamic/norm in your geographic area. We haven't been to an "at home" party in years (and the last one we hosted was the magician). Virtually everyone does parties at gymnastics places, activity places, etc. That is the norm in our area. The most "unusual" party we've attended was a (very cute) tea party for girls at a local tea house.

It might not be the norm but it could still go over well. It might be a welcome change of pace too. As a parent I like the at home parties more as they are more relaxed and a good chance to get to know the other families. Is it is a "keeping up with the Jones'" thing to have a party at a venue? Is it just what the kids expect and would be disappointed if it is at a home vs out? My boys are happy with just going to a b-day party, playing with friends and eating cake. Their expectations are pretty low. :)

Beth

bubbaray
04-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Is it just what the kids expect and would be disappointed if it is at a home vs out?

It seems to be what the kids expect and they would be majorly disappointed.

I did think of one party that was not at a gymnastics/play place. It was on a beautiful sunny day at a local (HUGE) playground/water park. The kids had fun, but it is outside my comfort zone (no idea how mom could have kept track of all the kids if parents had not stayed -- place is huge). I would not want to be responsible for kids there. Also, when my girls b-days are, the weather is generally not sunny or warm, so outside venues won't work.

LD92599
04-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Ok, I have to say it. Do you really, really need any sort of paid entertainment? I have never hired anyone other than the 2 gymnastics' parties. We do at home parties and using websites like Family Fun and Birthday Party Ideas plus books from the library (and the parents here!!) I have put on some really, really fun parties. I'd be happy to help you come up with ideas if you are game for trying something like that.

Beth

I have to agree with this, esp since you've been trying to keep expenses low! Every single party ds has been to was "out" and i had no problem hosting his party in our home. Basically it was one big playdate, pizza, drinks and cake. And that was it...goody bags too. $75 and 15 kids that had a blast, still talk about it, the parents had to drive 5 min max to my house and they also got a date night if they wanted. It was a fri night from 6:30 to 9.

Definitely think about it. When i asked ds where he wanted his party over and over he said home. The kids went from his roomto our basement to play. No organized games except a quick lego build.

carolinamama
04-10-2011, 11:48 AM
When I ask DS1 where he wants his parties, he always chooses our house. We've done all of his at home and I've never had any form of paid entertainment. Of course, that puts a slight bit more work on me, but the kids all have a great time. We've done treasure hunts in the sandbox, scavenger hunts around the yard, and plain old playing with toys. So, while the entertainment might be fun, I don't think it is necessary.

elizabethkott
04-10-2011, 11:55 AM
We had J's 4th at the children's museum. Our house isn't really condusive to a large number of kiddos and family, and with the two dogs, it's just easier for us to have it out at this stage.
I looked at the cost of doing it at home with someone to play guitar or something, and the CM wound up being about the same price (a little more) so for us it was the right choice.
I love the idea of a petting zoo tho! J would get such a kick out of that!

egoldber
04-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Is it just what the kids expect and would be disappointed if it is at a home vs out?

For *me*, it is easier to have a venue party. I stress about my house being clean enough. I stress about the kids tearing my house apart while they are there. (BTDT too many times.) I always feel a need to have a HUGE amount of food and beverages when I entertain in my home. *I* am not comfortable letting a large group of kids run around in my house for 2-3 hours. I'm just not.

So for us, it is easier and (I have found) cheaper to do an out of home venue party. I can spend $250 on a party venue place (which generally includes food but not cake) or I can easily spend WELL more than that on food, beverages, and activities for a home party.

ETA: I have done home parties too, but I really do find them very stressful.

AnnieW625
04-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Also, what about renting some type of inflatable (combo type with jumping and sliding etc..) and just letting the kids run around and play for an hour?

We don't have the yard space for a large slide combo jumper but the last three years the kids have had the best time with a 15 x15 jumper, the easel w/dry erase markers, and sidewalk chalk. I think next year I might eventually try the tea party thing or pony rides at the local equestrian center, but really jumpers are about as easy as it gets and the kids go home tired. Parents love it!

If I could find a venue space on a weekend here for less than $300 then I'd be all about the venue but that's not likely to happen so I have just had things in our back yard and with the exception of the kids needing to use the bathroom no one usually goes in the house:thumbsup: . Next year I might look into other things and I know by the time DD1 is 7 or 8 we'll do a Build A Bear party but for this year I just stuck with what I knew would work.

HIU8
04-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Well, first, I am not going to have 20 plus kids running around my house. I can't deal with it being torn apart (and it will be). Our basement is unfinished, and even though my kids can play down there I certainly do not want a bunch of kids around my fuse box and near my storage area where big things can fall and hurt them etc... We do not have enough room to bring the toys upstairs to play (hence why my kids stuff is in the basement).

At 4 parents here don't yet do a dropoff party (and I don't want responsibility for that many kids on my own). So, it ends up being parents, siblings (yes people bring multiple sibs even when the invite says not to) and both parents come and make it a family outing. So, if at home it needs to be completely outside. I could get our outdoor play equipment out for the kids to use. We have a metal swing set (cheapo version) that would be ok, but I would not want more than 3 kids on it at once b/c it's not cemented into the ground (just 6 things that screw into the ground, so the entire set sways when in use).

I was thinking we could do stations like T-Ball, hoola hoops, horse shoes etc... or we could do a scavenger hunt. The petting zoo guy is easier in that all I have to do is have cake and a place for the kids to sit (which is the draw for me since I'm not creative at all).

I will say, and not that I care, but the norm here is big expensive parties (ever been to a kidsville party--they start at $795 and go to $1500 per party). We have never done something like that. Last year DD did a joint party at a gym place with another little girl in her class. That alone cost us $200 just for our share. This year I wanted to keep it there or less. Hence the at home idea. I'm liking more and mor (as I type) just letting them play with our outdoor toys for an hour and then doing cake and saying bye bye.

SnuggleBuggles
04-10-2011, 12:54 PM
I guess that is the other thing- my at home parties are always really small!! I wouldn't host 20 kids at my house either. :) But, I'm fine with 4-5 kids and their families. That's easy! I don't even like to really host 20 kids out either. I'm too mellow for that!

GL with your planning!
Beth

egoldber
04-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I think it is just individual. Personally, I find that even 4-5 kids over without a lot of supervision can cause a LOT of chaos and even damage. I wish I were one of those people who could open my house to a gaggle of kids without stress, but I'm not.

We tend to have 10-12 kids for an "all class" party or 3-5 kids for a small party. We hosted 4 other 9 and 10 year old girls for a Valentine's Party at our home, and frankly it was exhausting. OTOH, we took 10 kids out for pizza and a movie for older DD's 9th birthday and it was vastly easier. It was a little more expensive, but not tons more, and way easier for us.

I don't think a venue party needs to be expensive, especially as they got older. Things like minigolf, a matinee movie, bowling, etc. are not that expensive.

SnuggleBuggles
04-10-2011, 01:58 PM
I try not to make the cost argument when comparing since it's often a wash for the typical party (not the $1000 affairs!). There were nice things about the venue party, I admit. Just throwing out an idea of doing it simply at home since that hadn't really come up as an option.

Beth

K-Bear
04-10-2011, 03:40 PM
The animal guy or the inflatible sound really fun! I can see both my daughters being into that. The music show and puppet not as much.

HIU8
04-10-2011, 08:43 PM
DH and I had a LONG talk about it today. I really want an outdoor at home party where they just play. DH is not happy with that--b/c our backyard is not good for entertaining. It has divets from the old owners vegie gardens, and a huge area where no grass grows and DH is afraid kids will trip and break their feet/legs etc... and doesn't want the liability. He did say he would cement the swing set into the ground to make it safer (which I've been asking him to do for over a year anyway). DH seems ashamed of our property. Honestly, we have not had the $$ we need to resod it (the front and back need to be resodded--back is like I said and the front has no real grass, but mostly clovers). I get that he feels that way. But, I guess I just don't care as much. The kids could care less and and I don't care what the parents think. We have a ton of outdoor toys that the kids could play with for an hour and then eat cake. DH said he would consider the petting zoo guy (b/c he could lay down straw and cover up the yucky part of the yard......).

Still attempting to figure this out. This will be the last year that we do an all class party. Next year it will be 5 kids tops.

Seitvonzu
04-10-2011, 09:36 PM
your outdoor party idea sounds great to me-- we actually went over to our friends backyard today. they recently got a ton of outdoor stuff and just had us over for snacks and beer leftover from another event and the kids just ran around happy playing- it was GREAT. a reallyreally nice time. no way do they have a perfect lawn--who cares? i can't imagine kids getting injured even if there are some uneven spots...is that really a concern?

SnuggleBuggles
04-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Lawn not in good shape? Then no worries about the kids trampling it. ;)

Beth

HIU8
04-10-2011, 10:00 PM
And that is what I said to DH. We have a small patio with nothing on it. All we would have to do it get tables and chairs to put out (which we do have--the folding table stuff). It would be so easy. DH is making it so hard.

happymom
04-10-2011, 11:42 PM
What if it rains?