PDA

View Full Version : Pumping directly into baby bottle? - better for baby!

perfecttiming
04-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Hi everyone,
We will be getting the medela freestyle pump and I read that pumping directly into a bottle that will be used for feeding is better than pumping into a plastic insert because you don't lose as many antibodies in the transfer.
Obviously we are all pumping/breastfeeding for the benefit of breast milk so i would hate for any of the antibodies to be lost.

Does anyone know which bottles fit with the medela freestyle if we want to pump directly into them? What is better for baby - glass or plastic bottles? Which brands???

Thanks for your help!

lalasmama
04-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Any "standard" bottle will work with Medela pumps. Medela has bottles that have a little bit wider nipple base so that the baby does more of a "nursing latch" on the bottle, however, most lactation consultants suggest a wide-top bottle with breast-like nipple.

newg
04-10-2011, 02:11 PM
I pump directly into Madela bottles. DD2 drinks from those, as did DD1. The ones I started with held 2oz I think......which was all the DDs could drink for a while..then I moved up to the 5oz bottles. I've never been able to pump more than 5oz at a time, so I've never tried to find other bottles that fit the pump parts.
I do have some 8oz bottles from DD1, but I would pump into the madela bottles and then pour what I needed into the 8oz bottles (but that was when DD1 was almost 12months old)....

catsnkid
04-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Dr Brown's are the highest end bottles that are compatible. You can also use any generic size bottle- evenflo works as well. Personally I used to store the milk in the medela bottles for feeding and they would be transferred into AVENT bottles right before feeding. If there was leftover it would be frozen in lansisoh bags.

perfecttiming
04-10-2011, 08:33 PM
I've heard Dr. Brown bottles are annoying to clean because they have so many different parts - do you find that true?

GvilleGirl
04-10-2011, 10:51 PM
I used these so that I could pump directly into Avent bottles.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Avent-Standard-Breast-Conversion/dp/B00005BXEY

perfecttiming
04-10-2011, 10:54 PM
That's great! So you must have had enough freezer space to store all the bottles...? Or did you not pump much?

lizzywednesday
04-11-2011, 09:15 AM
I've heard Dr. Brown bottles are annoying to clean because they have so many different parts - do you find that true?

Nope.

We have 1 Dr. Brown's for our DD and it wasn't a problem, even when we washed it by hand in the hospital. After we got home, we ran it through the dishwasher instead of bothering with hand-washing.

What WAS a pain was her latch changing after she'd had a Dr. Brown's bottle for a feed - she used to clamp down on my nipple if she'd been given a narrow/standard bottle for feedings when we were apart.

I switched to the BreastFlow bottles by The First Years and we stopped having latch problems.

If we were to do it over again, I'd get the Tommee Tippee "Closer to Nature" line, which wasn't out when I was registering.

mikala
04-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Whatever you do I'd hold off on buying many of any one type of bottle until after baby is born. If you're breastfeeding in the beginning you won't need many, if any, bottles, and once you introduce them you can figure out what works best for your child. I had Medela->Avent connectors that worked well but other friends preferred other bottle brands.

There has also been some other more recent news about chemicals in plastics so that may also be a factor. Some of my friends swore by the Evenflo glass bottles w/ other brand nipples, other people really liked Dr. Brown's.

bostonsmama
04-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I used these so that I could pump directly into Avent bottles.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Avent-Standard-Breast-Conversion/dp/B00005BXEY

I got these for ~ $3 on clearance at Target this winter. I love pumping directly into the Avent bottles (haha, which I also got on clearance for $6 for a 5-pk of 4oz'ers). I hate the bags. Once I didn't seal the Medela bags right and frozen milk burst all over my freezer getting everything sticky. I also don't really pump enough/often enough to make it worth anything different. I may feel different when we start solids, but hopefully the puree period doesn't last very long.

peacemeal41
04-13-2011, 01:16 PM
I use these all the time with my Medela PIS. I love love love them!

http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Drop-Ins-System-Breast-Storage/dp/B0011UH78G
(read the reviews too, they have some great advise)