PDA

View Full Version : How long did your Pump in Style last?

cookiemonster80
04-10-2011, 01:34 PM
I used mine roughly 3 (about 10-15 min each) times a day for 10 months (I also nursed when I could), but needed to pump while I was working. For DD1 the pump seemed to lose power at around 8 months- it could have also been my milk supply, but I really think I should have been able to pump more each session (just about .5 to 1 oz) because when I nursed DD she seemed content with the amount she was getting directly from me.

Now I'm expecting DC2 and wonder if I need a new pump (especially now that my FSA will cover them). I thought these things would last longer than 10 months of moderate usage, but maybe not??

What has everyone else's experiences with these been?

Thanks!

lalasmama
04-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Per my Medela rep, they are told to tell people that they should last through about 1 year of pumping, but 3 children's worth of pumping is typical. FWIW, I have 2 PIS's. One lasted through 3 kids and is still going strong, the other one started peetering out VERY quickly (within 6 months). I'd call Medela or email them; they are VERY responsive. They will give you things to problem-shoot like parts needing replaced (like the membranes) or the diaphragm needed cleaned, etc. Occasionally, they will even send out a new pump. There was also a recent recall, so you may want to hop on their site to get the information on that, in case you have a recalled one.

newg
04-10-2011, 02:07 PM
I used my pump with DD1 for one year (1-3x a day..average), and I am now using it again, with DD2 (8months old) 1-2x a day and it's still going strong......

I did call before starting to use it again, and they gave me some tips for cleaning it and testing to make sure it works properly (I'd share them, but I can't remember them now!!)
They were very friendly and helpful!

nupe
04-10-2011, 03:00 PM
My Medela PISA from 2004 lasted through 2 babies. I pumped with the first one for over 3 years and just over 2 years for the second child. I frequently changed out membranes as a precaution.

I work FT and pumped anywhere from 2-3 x/day while at work.

The only problems I had was with the faceplate early on, that Medela replaced. No problems after that.

Penny's Pappa
04-10-2011, 03:34 PM
My wife used hers for almost a full year and didn't have any problems with the pump itself. The power adapter, OTOH, crapped out and needed replaced.

catsnkid
04-10-2011, 08:07 PM
I got my 2004 PIS used, in retrospect not such a good idea because it did crap out. I had paid 50 bucks for it. It was from someone I trusted and I replaced everthing. Anyway, she had used it for two kids. The first kid I know she used it for about 6 months, not sure how long on the second. I got about 7-8 months of pumping out of it, then it started to peter out and I had it strung up with duct tape. I think the plastic eventually goes on them. I switched DS over to complete formula at daycare at about 11 months, but we still are nursing at home. Like PP said, it seems like you will get 3 kids out of them. ETA- I switched out membranes too. If you are getting it paid for, it might be worthing getting a back up for leaving at work.

wendibird22
04-10-2011, 08:20 PM
I have a 2007 PISA and used it 3x's a day for about 10mos with each kid. I would think yours could handle another go round.

peacemeal41
04-13-2011, 01:18 PM
My wife used hers for almost a full year and didn't have any problems with the pump itself. The power adapter, OTOH, crapped out and needed replaced.

check their facebook page, they recently did a recall on some of the power adapters.