PDA

View Full Version : Car seat in the back of...

boilermakermom
04-10-2011, 02:33 PM
A jeep wrangler with the top off?? What age would you be ok with kids riding in the back of a topless jeep/convertible?

Nooknookmom
04-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Never actually.

There is zero protection (other than what comes with the carset). That's just me though & I am usually pretty liberal on fun-stuff kids can do. We have a 15.5 yo & wouldn't want her cruising the streets in a convertible or Jeep w/ no top. So most certainly not for a kid that is still in a CS.

Guess I'm a buzzkill!

wellyes
04-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Isn't a jeep wrangler's top just fabric anyway?
I have let DD ride in a convertible. I trust DH's opinion on this, he is an automotive engineer. He says those cars are designed to have structural support in an accident (such as a roll cage).

billysmommy
04-10-2011, 05:53 PM
We have a convertible we use in the summer. We waited until they were 3 before putting their carseats in. They are almost 5 and 8 now and they love riding in it. We dont use it for long trips but definitely around town, to the beach and for ice cream. We just went for our first ride this year yesterday :)

wencit
04-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Never actually.:yeahthat:

Even though I know convertibles have roll cages these days, I just wouldn't feel comfortable with my child, particularly one young enough to be strapped in a car seat, riding in one. It's outside of my personal comfort zone.

AshleyAnn
04-10-2011, 10:15 PM
I don't think I would unless it was one that had a proper roll bar added. Jeeps have a high center of gravity making it more likely to roll over than most other convertibles. I would be ok with most convertible cars but not a jeep. A jeep can roll over at a much much lower speed than a car. DD is 18 months and dislikes the wind hitting her when her window is open so I don't see her enjoying a convertible anytime soon but if she would tolerate it I would take her in a convertible so long as we werent going on the interstate or any particularly dangerous roads.